Page 1 of 6
I'm doing a 5 minute speech for my Oral and Written expression class on punk rock.
Do you guys know of any newer artists/musicians that were influenced by punk rock but don't really show it in their music?

For example, I've seen a picture of Shwayze wearing a Bad Brains shirt.
BRIGHT LIGHTS PUT ME IN A TRANCE.
but it aint house music that makes me want to dance.
I'm going to rephrase.

I need commonly known musicians. As far as they know, Green Day is punk rock and they'll have absolutely no idea who Ted Leo is.
You could go for the whole My Chemical Romance/30 Seconds to Mars side of things. I'm sure those types of bands would say they have punk influences.
I'm an asshole.

THE ONLY BOSS WORTH LISTENING TO.
HELP ME I'M TRAPPED IN A HUMAN BODY!
God I hate Bruce Springsteen. He sounds khaki and is therefore boring, worships Bob "I'm a Jew but I'll pretend I'm not" Dylan a bit too much, plays a telecaster, and isn't as much of a working man as he lets on.
What about that wave of jangly English pop-rock bands that were real popular a few years ago? Some of the earlier ones at least, like the Libertines, were pretty punk-influenced. That might not be relateable enough for Americans though.
Beastie Boys are good. They were originally a punk band, and purposely mirrored the Bad Brains' initials.

Red Hot Chili Peppers early stuff.

Uh, there's pictures of some of the guys from Public Enemy wearing Minor Threat t-shirts, as well as that girl from Twilight.
brnh.bandcamp.com
Quote by Iluvpowerchords
Are you going to a SUNY school JOEFISH?!

Yes, Canton. I'm moving downstate in january to Auburn! I'm going to switch my major to Audio/Radio Production.
you could talk a bit about how punk influenced grunge and lead into the big mainstream 90s band like AiC, Nirvana and Pearl Jam. That could lead into post grunge whihc is the most mainstream rock there is today with bands like Nickelback, 3 Days Grace, Seether, Finger Eleven, Matchbox 20 and such.
RAW POWER
Quote by Joe-Fish
Yes, Canton. I'm moving downstate in january to Auburn! I'm going to switch my major to Audio/Radio Production.

Go Kangaroos!

I like how you call Auburn "downstate"
Quote by Cejis33
you could talk a bit about how punk influenced grunge and lead into the big mainstream 90s band like AiC, Nirvana and Pearl Jam. That could lead into post grunge whihc is the most mainstream rock there is today with bands like Nickelback, 3 Days Grace, Seether, Finger Eleven, Matchbox 20 and such.

even though those bands are basically just grunge without the punk influences...
Quote by charliezard!
even though those bands are basically just grunge without the punk influences...

Without punk there would have been no grunge. Or 90's alterna-pop.

And the world would have been worse because of it.

...though it may have smelled a bit better, on the whole.
Last edited by Iluvpowerchords at Nov 29, 2009,
Quote by Iluvpowerchords

I don't know about that. I can't stand most grunge bands, and modern rock bands who try to be grunge bands are even worse.

Although I guess to grunge's credit it ended the hair metal craze, so you're probably right.
Quote by lavazza
Didn´t Queens of the stoneage cover the Subhumans?

And The Cramps
FUCK YOU! GET PUMPED!
Quote by neidnarb11890
I don't know about that. I can't stand most grunge bands, and modern rock bands who try to be grunge bands are even worse.

Although I guess to grunge's credit it ended the hair metal craze, so you're probably right.

Oh I don't like Grunge either.

But my youth would've been much less enjoyable without 90's alterna-pop
I hate '90s alterna-pop. Unless Weezer counts. Weezer is OK.

I like some Nirvana and Mudhoney is alright. Other than that I dislike grunge too.

I like that Weezer can be typed with one hand.
Quote by iwannabesedated
I love listening to We're a Happy Family.

I'm indifferent, half the tracks, especially Rob Zombie and Marilyn Manson, are utter sh*t.

Gotta love RHCP, Chrissie Hynde, Pete Yorn, and Kiss's songs though.

Quote by neidnarb11890

Quote by Iluvpowerchords

Das what I was sayin...
Quote by BrianApocalypse
I'm indifferent, half the tracks, especially Rob Zombie and Marilyn Manson, are utter sh*t.

Gotta love RHCP, Chrissie Hynde, Pete Yorn, and Kiss's songs though.

I've always kind of liked Manson. The RHCP is one of my favorite on there. But you're right about Zombie, he's a huge jerk and a mediocre musician.
Slayer, Metallica, Megadeth, Anthrax, Municipal Waste, Foo Fighters, Rage Against the Machine, Black Dahlia Murder, pretty much alot of metal bands are influenced by punk one way or another
Dick+strings= owww
i know at least a couple of currently popular rap/ hip hop dudes were punks when they were younger. apparently somewhere along the way, they decided to go for money and cars instead. i don't know all that much about them, but the roots are supposed to have a really wide range of influences
Quote by SuperBlob
And The Cramps

Really? What song?
Quote by emoboy027
Is fingering an emo chick that likes yoy and that has fallen in love with you is it wrong to you to finger her during lunch outside in front of everyone at the high school? would you not care or lol even wish it was you?

Youztoobz
MIDI Magicalness!
Quote by lavazza
^I gave Them Crooked Vultures a listen because of John Paul Jones, but it was more boring then I ever expected

probably also add Tom Waits and wiki says Television influenced The Police, U2, The Church and The Strokes

I'm curious about how well Them Crooked Vultures sold. It came into my charts at about 12, and dropped straight out this week.

Have you heard Baby Grande? (Steve Kilbey's bowie-esque glam punk group).

Peter Koppes was the drummer for a bit, and they supported "punk group" ACDC. (Australia failed at punk in a big way, which is why everyone thought ACDC were a punk band.)