My guitars have a clear coat finish on them. I clean them, wax them, and do everything in between but after I'm done I'm afraid to touch them because it still scuffs.

Is there anything that will protect against scuffing?
Idk the answer cause im still a noob. But just wanted to say I don't think this is the right section for your post *Good luck*
Well you can always try... Wait for it... Wiping it off when your done lol every onw seems to over look that
Quote by L2112Lif
I put a ton of my capital into SW Airlines... The next day, THE NEXT DAY these nutters fly into the WTC. What the hell? Apparently no one wanted to fly anymore, and I was like "What gives? God damnit Osama, let me win a fuggin' game!"
thought I'd ask this here cuz I don't wanna make a new thread:

I want to paint the pickguard of my Ibanez Gio. It is currently white, but I want to paint it black. Do I need a special sort of paint to do this? And is there more to this process than just painting it?
Quote by Moonshield17

I want to paint the pickguard of my Ibanez Gio. It is currently white, but I want to paint it black. Do I need a special sort of paint to do this? And is there more to this process than just painting it?

You have to take off the electronics, the paint and the wood protector, finish, then paint it like you would with any wood. Finish the paint with a lacquer if you want, or finish the paint with a wood protector. GFE.

As for this thread, if you don't want scuff marks, youre a communist. Scuff marks add character to a guitar. I have a guitar i lit on fire, and still played it. Ironically, that guitar sounds better than my crappy guitar i use.
I am the only sane person on the planet. Does that make me crazy?

Crank the Mids
You're better off asking this sort of stuff in the electric guitar or gear building and customising forums.

Car polish is meant to be good for bodies - other than that being reasonably careful not to bash it on anything and wiping it down after each time you use it is about all you can do to prevent scuffs I think. I hate that my guitars don't look new forever too - just because you don't have a really expensive instrument is no reason to not look after it

If you want to paint your pickguard I'd take it off the guitar and use some kind of spray paint designed for plastics.
Quote by Moonshield17

I'm with the guy above me, take the pickguard off and spray paint it. Bluesy was talking about refinishing the entire guitar (which is a job and a half!).
As for scuff marks, there's not really anything you can do about it other than wiping it off after playing.... Someone mentioned scuff marks and stuff being a sign of character and lighting their guitar on fire: you sir, suck! That's no way to treat a guitar, I love pretty much everything to do with guitars and intentionally damaging one is equivalent to heresy!
Speed is a by-product of shut the fuck up.
The reason i'd like to know is because i do play a few gigs and I do get anal about the finish at times
Quote by zhilla

If you want to paint your pickguard I'd take it off the guitar and use some kind of spray paint designed for plastics.

Quote by Aleksi
I'm with the guy above me, take the pickguard off and spray paint it. Bluesy was talking about refinishing the entire guitar (which is a job and a half!).
As for scuff marks, there's not really anything you can do about it other than wiping it off after playing.... Someone mentioned scuff marks and stuff being a sign of character and lighting their guitar on fire: you sir, suck! That's no way to treat a guitar, I love pretty much everything to do with guitars and intentionally damaging one is equivalent to heresy!

Alright, thanks guys! I definitely don't want to refinish the whole damn guitar, lol. So I think taking off the pickguard should suffice.

And I totally agree with Aleksi about purposely damaging one's guitar. I guess some people see it as "cool" but I respect my guitars way too much to even think of doing something like that.
Last edited by Moonshield17 at Dec 3, 2009,