me and my father are making an amp cabinet. we have the cabinetry down. but when it comes to speakers, we aren't all that educated on the topic.

can you give me some recommendations? brand and model?

take this into consideration

1. value
2. sound
3. wattage
4. quality

and when i say quality, i don't want to purchase more speakers after this...

and if it matters, i'm playing metal music, and want tons of "oomph"
Member of The 7 String Legion

Peavey Triple X Head
Mahieu 4x12 Cab (celestion g12t-75)
Gibson Vixen
Schecter C-1 Classic
Various Pedals, and Guitars.
For Metal, people tend to go for a Celestion Vintage 30 or you could get a Celestion G12H30. http://professional.celestion.com/guitar/features/tone/index.asp
Quote by Kensai
You'll find whisky very different, but try it and you'll grow into it, soon you and whisky are one, but still two, lovers dancing across a frozen lake under moonlight, wrapped in honey and warmth.

Sums up whisky perfectly
Quote by natehimself
yeah, for metal.

Didn't know these speakers worked well for metal.
From the Celestion Tone Selector it recommends the G12H30 for metal, maybe because it is meant to have good bass response and in the Celestion Clips it has scooped mids
Quote by Kensai
You'll find whisky very different, but try it and you'll grow into it, soon you and whisky are one, but still two, lovers dancing across a frozen lake under moonlight, wrapped in honey and warmth.

Sums up whisky perfectly
Quote by Jak Archer
From the Celestion Tone Selector it recommends the G12H30 for metal, maybe because it is meant to have good bass response and in the Celestion Clips it has scooped mids

Well Celestion would try to make it seem versatile as possible...
I like the V30s too. I think they're my favourite dirty, nasty speaker. I tend to play older metal - Sabbath, Maiden, and Soundgarden - so it might not give you the scooped tone you want for newer stuff. That speaker does have plenty of highs and lots of lows though, so it'd still be good for hardcore metal, even if not the best choice.

I always recommend the V30 for anyone looking for a non-mellow tone. It's not usually the best speaker for anything, but it does everything really really well. Actually, the smaller-sized V30s (if you can find them) do jazz and blues pretty well, even though the big ones aren't quite at home there.

Also? Way to be a dude and play a Les Paul Vixen. I work at a shop that got some of those in, and I was the only guy that thought it was a cool guitar. It's a good axe at a good price and plays well. Shame all the other guys could only focus on the colour. Some kid got an amazing deal on it, since the manager was convinced he'd have to mark it down to sell it.
^yh, TS, do you just play metal?
Quote by Kensai

Sums up whisky perfectly
and thanks, when i first saw the guitar at Heid's music for 1 grand, i knew i was going to buy it.

Peavey Triple X Head
Gibson Vixen
Schecter C-1 Classic
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9acguJjsgDg

Celestion Comparison vid

V30's
G12H30
G12T75
G12K100
Quote by Kensai

Sums up whisky perfectly
Last edited by Jak Archer at Nov 29, 2009,
Quote by natehimself
what do you guys think about the G12K-100's?

they have good reviews everywhere

Mix V30s and K-100s.

Is the cab 1x12, 2x12 or 4x12?
Quote by bendystraw
what's pron?

EDIT: i googled it, you guys are gross.

a2m/gape/murder/suicide/farrakhan/braziliancakefarts/bugera
the cab will be 4x12. and please explain why the g12k100's suck? they have such great reviews..

Peavey Triple X Head
Gibson Vixen
Schecter C-1 Classic
Quote by jamesfarr
G12K-100s are some of the worst speakers I have heard

They're basically smoother V30s.

Quote by natehimself
the cab will be 4x12. and please explain why the g12k100's suck? they have such great reviews..

V30/K100 X-pattern.
Quote by bendystraw
what's pron?

EDIT: i googled it, you guys are gross.

a2m/gape/murder/suicide/farrakhan/braziliancakefarts/bugera
hm.. i'll have to look around more.. because 150 is to much for one speaker. 125 for the k100's were just cutting it.

Peavey Triple X Head
Gibson Vixen
Schecter C-1 Classic
Try some Eminence. I had my valveking with a V30 and a Texas Heat in it and I really liked it.
^Or warehouse or weber speakers
Quote by Kensai

Sums up whisky perfectly
well..eminence looks really cheap for some reason to me...

i mean. remember. i said "quality" speakers. these are the last ones i want to buy.

because i googled them and got a bunch of 50$ speakers. i'm willing to shell out the money if it's worth it.

Peavey Triple X Head
Gibson Vixen
Schecter C-1 Classic
Quote by natehimself
well..eminence looks really cheap for some reason to me...

i mean. remember. i said "quality" speakers. these are the last ones i want to buy.

My Texas Heat was very good quality
I have a speaker comparison on youtube of the V30 and texas heat. The sound quality isn't that good because the speakers aren't fully broken in and also I just used microphone straight to mic input on computer