in the market for a 6 string baritone. tried a 7, couldnt get used to it. i'm having a hard time finding a decent baritone. had my heart set on the ibanez mm1 but they discontinued it. the prs looks cheesy and cheap as crap. anybody got any suggestion for a baritone good for metal?

i heard the schecter blackjack baritone only has 25 frets and their bunched up... not much space on the top neck
The ESP LTD MHB-401 is a very good baritone.
Even God has a Hell, his love for Humanity.
by Friedrich Nietzsche

Call me Edge
Quote by JELIFISH19
Why do you want a baritone?

because i drop tune... i dont care how you rig a 22-24 fret 6 stringer it cant play like a baritone. done went that route. if i dint hate slipknot soo bad i'd get the mike thomson's guitar. excellent for drop tuning
Quote by Edgecrsuher
The ESP LTD MHB-401 is a very good baritone.

well, i really wanted that one too but it's discontined. several websites list it as available but they dont have it in stock. i had one site take my money and tried to send the standard 401. pretty lame...
Quote by lust of decay
because i drop tune... i dont care how you rig a 22-24 fret 6 stringer it cant play like a baritone. done went that route. if i dint hate slipknot soo bad i'd get the mike thomson's guitar. excellent for drop tuning

I'm just questioning your baritone knowledge because you keep mentioning the number of frets which has nothing to do with being a baritone. You also say you would get the Mick Thompson sig but they're not even baritones. The only thing that makes a baritone a baritone is the longer scale length.
Last edited by JELIFISH19 at Nov 29, 2009,
Quote by JELIFISH19
I'm just questioning your baritone knowledge because you keep mentioning the number of frets which has nothing to do with being a baritone. You also say you would get the Mick Thompson sig but they're not even baritones. The only thing that makes a baritone a baritone is the longer scale length.

i fully understand that, but with a long scale you get more frets. are we really going there?
Quote by lust of decay
i fully understand that, but with a long scale you get more frets. are we really going there?

um, no, you dont get more frets techniqually. baritone itself just means extended range. i only know of one baritone that offers more then 24 frets and thats Ibanez Xiphos with 27 frets. Most baritones use the longer neck so you can use thicker strings and not have them slacking everywhere
Schecter C-1 Classic in Seethru blue <333
Schecter Damien FR
Roland AC-60 acoustic amp
Boss GE-7 EQ
Line6 Ubermetal Distortion
Sigma Dx Acoustic
alright, i see this thread is going nowhere. i didnt start this thread to learn about baritones. whether i know enough about them or guitars in general... i'm getting a baritone. i was hopeing y'all could help me find one.
a good one that ive played was the Schecter Blackjack ex, but you already said you didnt want it *btw, it has 24 frets*
Schecter Damien FR
Boss GE-7 EQ
Sigma Dx Acoustic
Quote by Zinnie
a good one that ive played was the Schecter Blackjack ex, but you already said you didnt want it *btw, it has 24 frets*

are the frets bunched up on top of the neck? i wanted to try one but gc doesnt keep them in stock.
Quote by lust of decay
are the frets bunched up on top of the neck? i wanted to try one but gc doesnt keep them in stock.

I thought they were decently far apart, but I have smaller hands then most people. Also, the reason people were telling you about baritones, was because we were sure if you wanted a guitar for lower tunings, or one with more frets, ya know? we werent actually trying to 'educate' you haha. I'll see if i can find more baritones to see if you like
Schecter Damien FR
Boss GE-7 EQ
Sigma Dx Acoustic
Quote by Zinnie
um, no, you dont get more frets techniqually. baritone itself just means extended range. i only know of one baritone that offers more then 24 frets and thats Ibanez Xiphos with 27 frets. Most baritones use the longer neck so you can use thicker strings and not have them slacking everywhere

The Xiphos isn't a baritone

Quote by lust of decay
alright, i see this thread is going nowhere. i didnt start this thread to learn about baritones. whether i know enough about them or guitars in general... i'm getting a baritone. i was hopeing y'all could help me find one.

It's not going anywhere because you're not giving us enough info as why you want a baritone. You're giving a lot of contradictions. You say hat you would get a Mick Thompson guitar but you hate Slipknot. Well that model isn't even a baritone and it only has 24 frets. It's just a RG with a different bridge and finish. Then you complain about the number of frets on the Schecter Blackjack. It has just as many frets as the Ibanez but it's actually a baritone. It has an extended scale length. The only thing that a baritone has is a scale length of over 25.5". That's the distance between the nut and bridge. It has nothing to do with number of frets.
Quote by Zinnie
I thought they were decently far apart, but I have smaller hands then most people. Also, the reason people were telling you about baritones, was because we were sure if you wanted a guitar for lower tunings, or one with more frets, ya know? we werent actually trying to 'educate' you haha. I'll see if i can find more baritones to see if you like

yeah that would be cool. i really wanted that mmm1 but they discontinued it. then i wanted that esp ltd mhb-401 and they discontinued that bastard!