I was looking at the ESP LTD ec-1000 in guitar center the other day and i loved the feel of it but it comes with emgs. I don't want active pups because so many bands use them that it's become a generic sound. Anyway, if I got this guitar at some point how hard would it be to swap the pups out for passives? Is it the same as swapping passives or is there anything different involved? thanks
Quote by phoenix_crush
I was looking at the ESP LTD ec-1000 in guitar center the other day and i loved the feel of it but it comes with emgs. I don't want active pups because so many bands use them that it's become a generic sound. Anyway, if I got this guitar at some point how hard would it be to swap the pups out for passives? Is it the same as swapping passives or is there anything different involved? thanks

You'll need to replace the 25k pots with 500k pots and get a mono jack (I believe), as well.

That is all.
LTD MH-250NT (With EMG 81/85)
Ibanez RGT42FXQM
Bugera 6260
Seismic Audio 212
Quote by Mitochondria9
You'll need to replace the 25k pots with 500k pots and get a mono jack (I believe), as well.

That is all.

ok thanks
Um, there is a version of the 1000 that comes with Seymour Duncans JB/59 set up. Have you looked at that version? Its about $840.
You have to switch the pots to 500K, and you ahve to get a new jack. Honestly, EMG's aren't that generic. Tone is mostly from the amp. I mean, if you don't like actives, I understand. There are some cases where they do not fit, but from your post, it sounds like you just don't want them because you don't want to sound like everyone else.
Jackson RR5 ivory w/ EMG 81/85
Jackson DX6 w/ SD Distortion & Dimarzio Super Distortion
Fender Starcaster Sunburst
Mesa/Boogie DC-3
Johnson JT50 Mirage
Ibanez TS-9
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Boss CE-5

ISP Decimator
Boss DD-6
Korg Pitchblack
Quote by minchew
Um, there is a version of the 1000 that comes with Seymour Duncans JB/59 set up. Have you looked at that version? Its about $840.

The EC-1000FM only comes in Antique sunburst, the EC-401VF comes in two sunburst finishes.

If he wants a solid color EC, he's gonna have to get one with the EMGs and swap em out.

Or even if he doesnt want the JB/59.
Ibanez RGT42FXQM
Bugera 6260
Seismic Audio 212
Quote by apak
You have to switch the pots to 500K, and you ahve to get a new jack. Honestly, EMG's aren't that generic. Tone is mostly from the amp. I mean, if you don't like actives, I understand. There are some cases where they do not fit, but from your post, it sounds like you just don't want them because you don't want to sound like everyone else.

This is true, IMO, EMGs are good for overriding the tone from an undesirable wood or to have a neutral tone coming to your amp so you can color it with the amp or a pedal.

Ive heard EMGs played on two different amps with two different pedals and they definitely did not sound the same.
Ibanez RGT42FXQM
Bugera 6260
Seismic Audio 212
I'm assuming that it is fairly simple to go from active to passive, but is it even possible to go from passive to active? If so, how would you do so?
Quote by stillsoldier4ch
I'm assuming that it is fairly simple to go from active to passive, but is it even possible to go from passive to active? If so, how would you do so?

Same thing, swap out the 500k pots for 25k pots and get a stereo output jack.
Ibanez RGT42FXQM
Bugera 6260
Seismic Audio 212
Quote by stillsoldier4ch

Just buy the pickups, they come with everything you need.
Quote by Mitochondria9
Same thing, swap out the 500k pots for 25k pots and get a stereo output jack.

Ok, but if your guitar doesn't have a place to put batteries because it was stock passive, how would you go about doing all the insides and stuff?
^ It's fairly simple that way, too. If you want, you can route a cavity for the battery but in most cases you don't have to, the battery fits in the electronics cavity. Then just replace the pots and stuff and you're good to go.

I have a question too: why do you need a stereo output jack for actives?
» Ibanez SZ520 + JB/Jazz
» Rocktron Rampage
» Vox ToneLab SE
» Laney LC15
Last edited by ahsoo at Nov 29, 2009,
Quote by stillsoldier4ch
Ok, but if your guitar doesn't have a place to put batteries because it was stock passive, how would you go about doing all the insides and stuff?

More often than not youll have room for a 9v battery, if not, then you'll have to get it routed.

Its up to you to make the call if its worth routing your guitar for the battery if you cant fit it.

My MH's cavity is a tight fit, but I can get a 9v in it.
Ibanez RGT42FXQM
Bugera 6260
Seismic Audio 212
Quote by Mitochondria9
This is true, IMO, EMGs are good for overriding the tone from an undesirable wood or to have a neutral tone coming to your amp so you can color it with the amp or a pedal.

Ive heard EMGs played on two different amps with two different pedals and they definitely did not sound the same.

exactly.

and stillsoldier, there is usually enough space for one battery in all electrics. The electronics cavities are, a lot of times, big enough to fit 2 9volt batteries. Open it up and stick a battery in it and see if it closes.
Mesa/Boogie DC-3
Johnson JT50 Mirage
Ibanez TS-9
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Boss CE-5

ISP Decimator
Boss DD-6
Korg Pitchblack
Quote by ahsoo
I have a question too: why do you need a stereo output jack for actives?

Stereo jacks have 3 prongs instead of two. The third extra prong is connected to the battery so the battery gets disconnected every time you take the cable out of the jack. That way, the battery only drains when a cable is plugged into your guitar. Ingenious. Otherwise, the battery wouldn't last the months it does.
Mesa/Boogie DC-3
Johnson JT50 Mirage
Ibanez TS-9
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Boss CE-5

ISP Decimator
Boss DD-6
Korg Pitchblack
Whoops, totally forgot about that. I was thinking about the signal going stereo