I have a strat and I’m having trouble keeping the sixth string in tune. I think the problem is that the gap in the nut is a little too tight. I tried lubricating with lip balm but that isn’t doing much good, so now I’m trying graphite. But this nut is pretty tight and the string really drags in the gap and I think it might need to be filed. Is it really supposed to be tight, or should the string slip through it freely?
I don't really get it but you shouldn't lubricate anything and it doesn't need to be tight or loose as long as there is a nut.
Quote by RapeStove
That's what she said.

Quote by The_Rooster
Dude its a guitar, not an nuclear weapon...... unless your Chuck Norris.

Quote by RapeStove
That's what she said.

Gear:
ESP LTD KH-202
Peavy 25w
Boss OS-2
Dunlop Crybaby
Boss BF-3
Quote by ph213x
but you shouldn't lubricate anything and it doesn't need to be tight or loose as long as there is a nut.

Shit rapestove beat me to the first one...

That's what she said though ^
Depends, are you using a heavy guage string set? Do you use the tremlo alot? If your using a heavy guage strings then try a lighter set, most standard strats nuts cant handel strings above medium without moding. If you use the trem alot you might need a custom nut that dosent grab the string, like Graphtec or Graphite.
I’m just using extra lights, and I never use the trem (the bride is screwed down flush and doesn’t move).
Quote by jpnyc
I have a strat and I’m having trouble keeping the sixth string in tune. I think the problem is that the gap in the nut is a little too tight. I tried lubricating with lip balm but that isn’t doing much good, so now I’m trying graphite. But this nut is pretty tight and the string really drags in the gap and I think it might need to be filed. Is it really supposed to be tight, or should the string slip through it freely?

some guys rub the string in the cut a little to widen it BUT BE CAREFUL!

if you take off too much especially at the fretboard side of the cut, you'll lower the string entrance point and create first fret buzz you can't get rid of.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
you don't need lube (that's what she said), your guitar probably gets out of tune because it is shtty strat. I doubt the guitar cost much money, because if it did, you would have been playing guitar long enough to know that the nut can't be loose (that's what she said). The problem most likely lies within the saddle arrangement. Is your guitar intonated? if not, get a tuner pedal thingy and move the saddle back and forth until the open string (or second harmonic (over the 12th fret)) is the same note as the twelfth fret when you push it down. and play it.
I am the only sane person on the planet. Does that make me crazy?

Crank the Mids
Quote by jj1565
some guys rub the string in the cut a little to widen it BUT BE CAREFUL!

if you take off too much especially at the fretboard side of the cut, you'll lower the string entrance point and create first fret buzz you can't get rid of.

you can get rid of that buzz by putting a piece of paper under the string to riase the action on that one string. Or buy a new nut.
I am the only sane person on the planet. Does that make me crazy?

Crank the Mids
Quote by Bluesy...
you can get rid of that buzz by putting a piece of paper under the string to riase the action on that one string. Or buy a new nut.

yeah no shit. i meant you cant get rid of it by adjusting the guitar.

the goal was to impress that he not flatten the nut cut.

intonation isnt causing his string to fall out.
And he means tight in the cut, not that the nut is loose.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Last edited by jj1565 at Nov 29, 2009,
Quote by RapeStove
That's what she said.

I award you a lolstack for being the first one to post that.

Quote by headbangerbuggy
That is the most incomprehensible post I have ever seen. LEARN TO GRAMMAR.

Quote by steven seagull
Then it IS blues, just angrier, louder and more pissed off
Quote by Bluesy...
you don't need lube (that's what she said), your guitar probably gets out of tune because it is shtty strat. I doubt the guitar cost much money, because if it did, you would have been playing guitar long enough to know that the nut can't be loose (that's what she said). The problem most likely lies within the saddle arrangement. Is your guitar intonated? if not, get a tuner pedal thingy and move the saddle back and forth until the open string (or second harmonic (over the 12th fret)) is the same note as the twelfth fret when you push it down. and play it.

I highly doubt its an innotaiton problem if its just the 6th string that keeps losing tuning. And your saddles dont have much to do with tuning stability unless its a trem guitar, from what TS is telling us its a hardtail strat type guitar, so it should have great tuning stability. So the problem lies in either the grooves of the nut or the tuning pegs.