I'll be playing jazz for school as well. I was looking at an Ibanez Artcore (AFS78) but I'm not sure now. Not really into metal. I like stuff like Porcupine Tree, Thrice, Muse, RATM, Kyuss (prolly get thicker strings on my acoustic and use that for kyuss), Led Zeppelin, pretty much all rock in general. And I'd like to learn blues as well. I've only been playing for a about a year. I'd say I'm an intermediate player.

I'm in a small town, so no major guitar chain stores. We have one shop here. Any ideas of what to get? I have about a $700 budget. I've heard PRS's are pretty versatile, but it might be expensive to ship up to Canada.

As for amp's, I have a little 20 watt Epi practice amp. I use my school's for like concerts and stuff. Prolly 50 watts...? I know theres one Peavy, I don't know the others.
Caution:
This post may contain my opinion and/or inaccurate information.

Current Rig:
2006 PRS CE-24
Mesa/Boogie Mark V
Voltage S212 w/ V30's
Strymon Timeline
CMATMods Signa Drive
TC Electronics Corona & Hall of Fame
The Artcores are good for the price. I have one of the smaller models and I have also played one of the versions that is the same as the AFS78 except minus the pseudo-bigsby trem.

Strat or Tele would be pretty standard choices for what you want to play also.
For blues-rock, you can't go wrong with one of Leo Fender and George Fullerton's designs. A good 335 or Les Paul will do you well too, but will be more expensive for similar quality due to cosmetic and construction differences. Personally, for quality, price, quality blues tone and and versatility, I'd save up $100 or $200 more, and get a custom-built Carvin Bolt.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 75-87
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 3-3
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 52-39
Personally, I wouldn't really want a "bright" tone. I'd want more of a rich one. I'll most likely have to ship my new guitar in from somewhere, as there is a small selection at my local store.
Caution:

Current Rig:
2006 PRS CE-24
Mesa/Boogie Mark V
Voltage S212 w/ V30's
Strymon Timeline
CMATMods Signa Drive
In that case just roll down the treble or tone pot and keep on the neck pickup. That'd be more your amp than anything though.

Quote by necrosis1193
In that case just roll down the treble or tone pot and keep on the neck pickup. That'd be more your amp than anything though.

Alright. ANy more suggestions? I think my budgets fairly loose though (still in school) and I'll probably get money for christmas that will go towards this guitar.
Caution:

Current Rig:
2006 PRS CE-24
Mesa/Boogie Mark V
Voltage S212 w/ V30's
Strymon Timeline
CMATMods Signa Drive
I still stand by the carvin Bolt, or a Bolt Deluxe if you want humbuckers. Alternately though, you could go with an SG.