I learned the banjo a bit ago, and I've been hacking around on an old nylon string acoustic that I restrung like a banjo.

Id really like to get a semi-hollow body electric or a hollow body electric (can someone give me the pros and cons...?).

Given the way I have started playing, do you have any suggestions as to what type of guitar I should get? Is it alright just to put 5 strings on an electric and tune them differently? Thanks for any advice.
Quote by Halebopp
I learned the banjo a bit ago, and I've been hacking around on an old nylon string acoustic that I restrung like a banjo.

Id really like to get a semi-hollow body electric or a hollow body electric (can someone give me the pros and cons...?).

Given the way I have started playing, do you have any suggestions as to what type of guitar I should get? Is it alright just to put 5 strings on an electric and tune them differently? Thanks for any advice.

Given the way you're playing, I would buy a banjo, because you want to play a banjo. A guitar is not a banjo. If you're going to get a guitar, play guitar.
im sure if you only put 5 strings on a guitar eventually the neck would warp due to the uneven tension
Deals done with:
lfrz93
mmjohn
I have a banjo already. And an old nylon acoustic that I tuned like a banjo so I could start fooling around on it. I don't want an electric banjo.

I have played around a little bit with a normally tuned/strung guitar, I just like the alternative tuning better.

Do they make guitars with DBGDG tuning?
No they don't make em. it isnt a guitar if it doesn't have at least six strings.
(well by today's modern standards anyways)

u could buy a guitar and tune it to D-B-G-D-G and have the bottom string set as an extended range for the banjo tuning.
People in the pit take my post way too seriously.

MyAnimeList
7-String Legion

If you have a question PM me and I will always get back to you.