Anyone else ever witness gear abuse?

Today I was jamming with some friends in one of their Dad's music studio. My friend walks over to an amp that's covered and pulls the cover off....

...my jaw drops. It is (what looks like) a BRAND NEW Fender Twin, PERFECT condition. He then proceeds to try and get high gain sounds from it by wrenching the EQ knobs, cranking it up profusely and cussing it, all after not letting it heat up properly.

Finally he hooks up his Death Metal pedal and gets what he wants from it.

Later on after jamming I decided to take a look at the amp. Checking on the back and noticing that it is, in fact, a Silverface, I ask how old it is.

"I dunno," he says. I check the back and it's a 1971! I could NOT BELIEVE IT! This thing was in ABSOLUTLEY MINT CONDITION! It didn't even look used at all.

God knows how much it's worth. I cringed when my friend took the amp back over and turned on the Death Metal pedal.

Anyone else witness anything like this?
Knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens.

When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace.

-Jimi Hendrix-

Quote by CodySG
You know you're in the drug thread when you see pictures of squash and "tuna nigga!" when you click the page.
There's nothing short of throwing it off a building that you're going to do to break a SF twin. Beating it up cosmetically is one thing, but it seems like he's just using it differently than most people. Eardrum abuse, maybe, but not amp abuse.
Using a distortion pedal with an amp =/= abuse
Quote by GodofCheesecake
Excessive punctuation!!!!!!!!! YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote by dhutton
+infinity

I have infinity.
Quote by metharian
yea its way too much for my little stick lol
Quote by sw1ss023

This.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE SINE WAVE SURFER σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

[quote="'[BurnTheDusk"]']Boss pedals may be built like tanks but I would rather buy a cardboard box that is on my side than pay for a tank that is working against me.
I think he might have meant because of what that amp is truly used for, using the pedal is "blasphemy"
Blackstar ID:15TVP
2001 MIA Strat (SD '59/Stock/CustomCustom)
Early 80s Fernandes The Revival '57
Quote by sixstringedmatt
I think he might have meant because of what that amp is truly used for, using the pedal is "blasphemy"

No, what I meant is that my friend treated the amp like utter shit; he wrenched the knobs from one side to the other, cranked it all the way up, didn't let it warm up in standby and when it didn't magically do what he wanted, he slapped a shitty distortion pedal in front of it.

-Jimi Hendrix-

Quote by CodySG
You know you're in the drug thread when you see pictures of squash and "tuna nigga!" when you click the page.
Quote by dudetheman
No, what I meant is that my friend treated the amp like utter shit; he wrenched the knobs from one side to the other, cranked it all the way up, didn't let it warm up in standby and when it didn't magically do what he wanted, he slapped a shitty distortion pedal in front of it.

Fender Twins aren't exactly going to achieve death metal on their own.
He probably needed that pedal to get the tone he wanted.
Quote by GodofCheesecake
Excessive punctuation!!!!!!!!! YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote by dhutton
+infinity

I have infinity.
Quote by metharian
yea its way too much for my little stick lol
turning the knobs of an amp doesn't hurt it, neither does turning it up. not letting it warm up only reduces tube life. why did you have to look at the back of the amp to see whether it was a silverface, its called that for a reason, it has a silver face.
Quote by sw1ss023
Fender Twins aren't exactly going to achieve death metal on their own.
He probably needed that pedal to get the tone he wanted.

Yeah, and I don't really have any problem with that.

But before he used the pedal he mistreated the amp.

Also, we were in a studio. There were some Marshall JCM's and even a JVM sitting around and he decided to use the Twin. It just didn't make sense to me.

Quote by joe_k
turning the knobs of an amp doesn't hurt it, neither does turning it up. not letting it warm up only reduces tube life. why did you have to look at the back of the amp to see whether it was a silverface, its called that for a reason, it has a silver face.

I checked the back to make sure that the PEAVEY foot switch he was using was connected to the right terminal; when I got that close to the amp I realized it was Silverface.

-Jimi Hendrix-

Quote by CodySG
Last edited by dudetheman at Nov 29, 2009,
In that case I can understand the tube part MAYBE, but I wouldn't call it abuse.
Blackstar ID:15TVP
2001 MIA Strat (SD '59/Stock/CustomCustom)
Early 80s Fernandes The Revival '57
It irritates me when people use terrible pedals on great amps and stuff like that, but I don't count that as abuse. I'd be upset if I were there having to watch him butcher his tone, but I wouldn't really say it's harmful to the amp; it's more of a case of tone abuse than gear abuse
If that's what you call abuse, then my gear should be in the Witness Protection Program...
--

How do you say "I'm okay" to an answering machine?

--
Quote by stratman_13
If that's what you call abuse, then my gear should be in the Witness Protection Program...

lol same, ill put up a picture of my small clone. keep in mind this is only a couple of years old and not from the 80's.

EDIT

hooray for only having one rubber foot left.
Last edited by joe_k at Nov 29, 2009,
Why did you look at the back to see if it was a silverface twin? Usually you look at the front to tell.

Also, SF Fenders aren't particularly valuable (especially with the bottom dropping out of the vintage gear market). You can grab SF Twins and Deluxes for under $1000 all day.
Oh no, not turning knobs and playing at high volumes...
Quote by Marty Friedman
Because I bend in such an unorthodox fashion; the notes kinda slide up and slide down...
Quote by D&DLover
It irritates me when people use terrible pedals on great amps and stuff like that, but I don't count that as abuse. I'd be upset if I were there having to watch him butcher his tone, but I wouldn't really say it's harmful to the amp; it's more of a case of tone abuse than gear abuse

this, in this case, but yes, I've seen some true abuse... I don't want to repeat it.

atleast it wasn't a blackface.

you'd think that with his old man owning a studio and all, he might know a thing or two about how to get better sounds... then again, if his dad was the president that doesn't make him a president. oh wait!
Well, I've seen my friend play a BC Rich Avenge through an old 70's Fender Twin Reverb, that was pretty bad.

As for physical abuse, another friend of mine bought a Squier Affinity Strat just as a beater guitar, and he keeps trying to get me to put a dent in it. I'm fairly protective of gear, so I won't do it on purpose.
I was once shoppping around pawnshops for parts to canibalize, and I stumbled across a squire with a nice warmoth neck. trying to get a better deal, I told the manager the action was all fuk'd up.

"no prob bob"

out comes the socket wrench.

"he's bluffing" I think to myself.

*wrankwrankwrank*

-three full trussrod revolutions later-

"there ya go! good as new!"

"no thanks, I think I'm just gonna buy that gun over there instead... so I can kill both of us."
If that's abuse and blasphemy, then I guess the Guitar Devil is going to throw me on the 7th layer of guitar hell and vomit me out of his mouth into a pit of acid....cause at least I dont' smash em', but I do use the "wrong geaR" for the "wrong music", and I only get flack about it before people hear me.
My Current Mains
- 1996 Fender Jag-Stang with EMG Pickups
- 1998 Fender Jaguar with Cool Rails
- 1982 Hondo Paul Dean II (DiMarzio Super II X2)
- 2010 "Fender" Jazzmaster (Home built)
- 2013 Squier VM Bass VI (stock)
Quote by sw1ss023

i disagree...distortion pedals, especially "metal" ones are cheap shitty fizz boxes made to exploit retards like TS's friend

You have the patience of a saint TS
Quote by TheBackHouse
i disagree...distortion pedals, especially "metal" ones are cheap shitty fizz boxes made to exploit retards like TS's friend

You have the patience of a saint TS

tell that to the 90's.
Whilst I'd definitely facepalm IRL if someone really did intentionally wreck an amp or a guitar, as long as it's their gear and not mine, then they're entitled to do whatever the hell they want with it.

They'll be the ones paying for their stupidity at the end of the day.
404: Sig not found.
Quote by joe_k
tell that to the 90's.

so true

lets not forget the 90's nealy killed the guitar solo
Quote by TheBackHouse
so true

lets not forget the 90's nealy killed the guitar solo

a good bridge makes up for a guitar solo, the 90's were full of great bridges.
No, I get his point: "This beautiful amp having its natural, amazing sound trashed by the use of a POS pedal".

Unfortunately people are not all as clued up on equipment and I'm not going to lose any sleep over someone doing that.
404: Sig not found.
so he used a sh*tty pedal seriously I see people horrible pedals through good amps all the time, in my early days I used a DS-1 through a 5150..............to play metal! Yet my abuse of dear departed schecter (dead cos i smashed it to bits after my bands last-ever show) is far 'blasphemous'
Current Rig:

Eppy SG w/Swineheads, Marshall DSL 5c, Joyo Vintage OD, Joyo British Sound, Sounds Sounds Fuzz Face, GGG Guv'nor, Dr. Boogie Pedal, Crybaby in Red Sparkle, Digitech Hardwire Delay

The things I would do for a Les Paul...