After my earlier post I realized that getting a decent sound out of my guitars for under $100 is impossible, and that $200 will get me something decent, but not spectacular. I think that I'd be willing to spend a total of $500 for a really decent rig.

Currently my entire guitar setup is
2008 Fender American Standard Stratocaster
Peavey JF-2 EX hollowbody electric
(broken) Marshall MG-15CD amp
2 15' cables

That setup gives me about five tones, three of which are shit, and the other two are meh. I blame the amp's lousy tone, and then failure (loud buzz, modulated when I play) for my lack of progress on guitar recently.

So I think I can wring $250 out of my parents this year for Christmas, and I can probably manage another $250 by March.

I like to play the type of music I like, and I like half the music written between 1950 and 1980. So I need a wide variety of tones. I'd like to be able to get Beatles-esque clean and lightly distorted tones out of the hollowbody, mellow "accoustic" tones, and enough crunch to play early Who and Rolling Stones songs. Through the Strat I'd like to be able to get the type of tones you hear from Clapton and Robert Cray, as well as more distorted sounds like Pink Floyd or Led Zeppelin. I also like to play Santana and Eric Johnson. NO metal, but I do want to be able to get some decent crunch.

This is for home use and smallish gigs. So I want something that can put out some decent volume on demand, but still sounds good when low enough to not disturb the neighbors.

What I've come up with so far is to get a Fender Vibro Champ XD ($180 at Best Buy), so I can get a lot of the tones I want just with that. I'd also like a recommendation on a decent distortion pedal to give me the harder rock sounds, and for a wah pedal, as well as any other gear I could fit into this. Remember, I'm going to have $250 for one purchase set, and $250 for another later on, and I'm going to want the amp first.

So... Recommendations?
I'd honestly recommend waiting, and lumping it all into the amp. If you go used, you can get a legitimately nice amp for about 500$. Peavey Classic 30, Marshall Class 5, *If you need heavier* Blackstar HT-5, Egnater Rebel 20 (30 is preferential, but may be just outta range), Peavey Valveking 212, the list is endless.

Wah, unless you know you'll use it A LOT, isn't worth losing money to use on an amp. Of those amps, the HT-5 and Valveking will easily hit metal, and the Classic and Rebels oughta get close if not there.

Edit: Also, check out Jet city amplification. It's Soldano's cheap, American-designed, foreign-made amp line. Those are just now coming out, and are evidently incredibly cheap
Gear
---------
JS20S Satriani signature
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Gibson SG Classic
Randall RM100 Combo w/ Plexi, JTM, Ultra, Recto, and Brown Modules
u have an american strat and a crap practice amp??

if u want great tone....sell the strat and buy maybe a MIM strat, and put the extra money with the 250 and get a really good amp

if u want a decent tone....u MIGHT be able to get a used peavey classic amp or some sort of fender
Mesa F-30 - 1x12 V30
PRS SE Custom 24 (GFS Crunchy PATs)
PRS SE Singlecut (Evo/Air Norton)
1989 Starforce (GFS PowerRails)
Morley Tremonti Power Wah, TS7 (808-Mod), Pitchblack, Boss DD-3, DE FnC
Quote by xxunder-takerxx
u have an american strat and a crap practice amp??

if u want great tone....sell the strat and buy maybe a MIM strat, and put the extra money with the 250 and get a really good amp

if u want a decent tone....u MIGHT be able to get a used peavey classic amp or some sort of fender

I thought about suggesting that, but he may as well keep it if he's getting the mikey already.

I think a classic 30 or blues junior would be great. Maybe a digitech bad monkey for distortion/boost.

Maybe a danelectro fish n chips for clean boost solos.

You can find classic 30s going used for 300 easily. And the way our economy is, you could easily knock 50$ off that.

You don't NEED a wah unless your play mettalica(oh kirk). But a multi effects might be a good idea if you want a variety of effects.

If you sell the MIA stray and buy a mim one, that's another like 600$(including repurchase) we would be talking 1000$ish(give or take 100 or so)

1000$ will set you straigh for a long ass time(untill GAS sets in)

It's all what you want to do though.
Quote by 23:50 inbleach
can't i just eat the fucking cactus?

Quote by WildChicken
Go suck a cat westdyolf!

Quote by Cat Of Pain
So, West...

I hear you'll suck my cat...

Ill suck your cat
PEACE LOVE PANCAKES
call me zach

chocolate chip pancakes!
Get a Used Peavey Classic 30 as said before, then if you need a bit of a boost pick up an OD pedal, and for a wah, look at a Vox 847
used blues jr. = $350
mjm london fuzz = $150

fantastic beginning set up for your kind of music.

no point in selling your MIA for a MIM when you could just be patient...
Yeah, I don't think I want to sell the Strat. It was a birthday present from my parents, and not the kind where I begged them every day for a month. I mentioned way back in January, "Those American Stratocasters are really nice, I wish I had one", then BAM in June I walk in the door and there it is. It's a great guitar, I've grown attached to it, and I wouldn't want to hurt my parents' feelings by selling it.

I'll see if I can find a Blues Jr. or a Classic 30. I might be able to get another hundred by Christmas, I have some computer parts I can sell that are worth something. So hey, if anyone needs a cheap LGA775 motherboard or a 9500GT or a 700W PSU (good source for parts for mods maybe?) send me a PM.
Quote by Phaedrus
Yeah, I don't think I want to sell the Strat. It was a birthday present from my parents, and not the kind where I begged them every day for a month. I mentioned way back in January, "Those American Stratocasters are really nice, I wish I had one", then BAM in June I walk in the door and there it is. It's a great guitar, I've grown attached to it, and I wouldn't want to hurt my parents' feelings by selling it.

I'll see if I can find a Blues Jr. or a Classic 30. I might be able to get another hundred by Christmas, I have some computer parts I can sell that are worth something. So hey, if anyone needs a cheap LGA775 motherboard or a 9500GT or a 700W PSU (good source for parts for mods maybe?) send me a PM.

I agree with you, in that selling the American Strat would be silly. While an amp makes more of a difference, there is a certain level of attachment people get to their guitars, and sound just isn't quite worth it.

Classic 30 would do you find, and I still suggest an Egnater Rebel 30 (Look it up). Both are pretty beastly.
Gear
---------
JS20S Satriani signature
Gibson SG Classic
I'm in New Orleans, Louisiana. Home of blues and jazz. There are a ton of hole-in-the-wall music shops, I'm going to walk through them and the antique stores and see what I can find in a couple weeks, and we also have a Guitar Center.

I looked at the Rebel 30, but at $900-1100 new it's probably going to be at least ~$500-600 used, and thus probably out of my price range.
Quote by Phaedrus
I'm in New Orleans, Louisiana. Home of blues and jazz. There are a ton of hole-in-the-wall music shops, I'm going to walk through them and the antique stores and see what I can find in a couple weeks, and we also have a Guitar Center.

I looked at the Rebel 30, but at $900-1100 new it's probably going to be at least ~$500-600 used, and thus probably out of my price range.

I didn't know the exact price >.< Rebel 20 is still in your range. I still stand by that =P
Gear
---------
JS20S Satriani signature
Gibson SG Classic
Quote by Phaedrus

Exactly.

But deffinately go to those hidden shops and look for a blues junior or classic 30, I would think they have both being bluegrass/country/blues/everythanganachickenwing.

That was really cool of your parents. I love how sometimes they make those little mental notes.

But if you do get the fender, you should get an overdrive to push you into classic rock territory.

The classic 30 is a great versatile amp, I heard some people can coax metal tones 0.o
Quote by 23:50 inbleach
can't i just eat the fucking cactus?

Quote by WildChicken
Go suck a cat westdyolf!

Quote by Cat Of Pain
So, West...

I hear you'll suck my cat...

Ill suck your cat
PEACE LOVE PANCAKES
call me zach

chocolate chip pancakes!
So I'll try and find a Classic 30 or one of the other amps recommended, and if I can't find a used one for under ~$400-500... I guess I could live with the Fender Vibro Champ. But I'm really going to try for the Classic 30.

On an unrelated note, do you think it would be possible to build an effects pedal of some kind from the parts in a computer power supply? These things have dozens of caps (massive primary electrolytic caps and tiny 3.3V caps alike), freewheeling diodes, ferrite coils, transistors, resistors, Schottky rectifiers, tons of wires... No control over the specs of the parts though, and I don't know crap about the workings of pedals. I'm mostly just curious.
Last edited by Phaedrus at Nov 30, 2009,
Quote by Phaedrus
So I'll try and find a Classic 30 or one of the other amps recommended, and if I can't find a used one for under ~$400-500... I guess I could live with the Fender Vibro Champ. But I'm really going to try for the Classic 30.

On an unrelated note, do you think it would be possible to build an effects pedal of some kind from the parts in a computer power supply? These things have dozens of caps (massive primary electrolytic caps and tiny 3.3V caps alike), freewheeling diodes, ferrite coils, transistors, resistors, Schottky rectifiers, tons of wires... No control over the specs of the parts though, and I don't know crap about the workings of pedals. I'm mostly just curious.

I kinda doubt that you can (though I have no knowledge of this stuff, so don't take my word for it). That said, the Classic 30 would be ideal.
Gear
---------
JS20S Satriani signature
Gibson SG Classic