So in violins and cellos and some guitars you have the "f" shaped ousnd hole, why is it shaped that way? does it stand for something? like fuerte? is it just the norm and people do it just because? was there a great luthier named fred who always put his first initial as the sound hole?
no sir away a papaya war is on
Because, well, don't you think a C shaped F hole is quite absurd?
Life is like an Empty Box, there could be something exciting in it at first look, but upon further review, well, it's empty.

The F hole came from the same bastard that thought of the dick in the box.
#25 for top 100 UGer of 2009
UG's 2nd Funniest UGer and 3rd most likely to be a Serial Killer of 2009, 2nd of 2011
Im thinking about cutting a capital F into my ukulele blockletter style just for lols
I think it was designed to look ornate and at the same time allow us to have an immature snicker because it sounds dirty and humorous.

its funny cuz it sounds like ****, right? right?

porobly just for aesthetic reasons, maybe it sounds better?
Sell and Promote your music TuneHub!

wy is yer mad at muy gramhar fer?

Quote by jimmyled
jimmybanks youre a genius.

aparently i ar smrt?
Quote by dyingLeper
jimmybanks youre a genius

GO SENS GO
Quote by reb_49
The F hole came from the same bastard that thought of the dick in the box.

Huh, never pegged them as violin types.
Quote by archangels666
Well since I appear to be the only who is able to use Wikipedia or Google, I guess I'll just have to leave those here.

I went to wiki, it doesn't say anything. it just tells you 'a sound hole is a hole in the top of a string instrument' it doesn't tell me why its shaped that way.
There could have been some logical explanations for the shape. On the viol family instruments, the bridge sits tightly on the arch top, so that portion of the body has to have strong structural integrity, so it can't be compromised by any kind of holes. So slim slits on the two sides away from the arch top seem like the logical choice. The bridge also has to sit in a specific center of the art top, so the luthiers may have added the horizontal stems of "f" as guide to where the center is. The curls on the f hole may be for pure ornamental purposes, but it corresponds to the design of the scroll at the top of the viol instruments.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by Xiaoxi
There could have been some logical explanations for the shape. On the viol family instruments, the bridge sits tightly on the arch top, so that portion of the body has to have strong structural integrity, so it can't be compromised by any kind of holes. So slim slits on the two sides away from the arch top seem like the logical choice.

This is what I was thinking.
MATTERHORN
I guess they beat o-shaped holes, right? I mean, who plays those instruments with 6 strings and a big hole in the middle?
My internet search yielded nothing but another forum site with the same question, and other people who put a lot more time and effort into it couldn't find a reason for the shape either...
It's probably just for aesthetic purposes. Or to please the unwritten laws of the cosmos.
🙈 🙉 🙊
Found this...

"If you look at the F-holes on a "classical" stringed instrument (violin family instead of guitar family), you'll find they are centered on either side of the bridge. The construction of the instrument with the floating bridge is such that the bridge is the major conductor of vibration to the top table. The F-holes allow the top table to vibrate the most at the bridge, which is the most efficient design in terms of getting the entire body of the instrument to resonate."

"A guitar (non archtop) is similar in theory, but results in a different design. The guitar is built so that the part of the top just under the bridge is the freest to vibrate. The top is braced everywhere else to keep it from tearing itself apart under tension, but the bridge is braced the least possible amount, so when the string vibrates, the vibrations are conducted through the most vibrant part of the top, allowing the instrument to resonate more. F-holes on a flat body would defeat a lot of the bracing so the sound hole was instead placed further away from the bridge in between various bracings. It has the added effect of increasing projection, as the hole really does act like a port in a speaker cabinet. The F-holes of a violin do not project as much, which would be counterproductive anyway; all the sound would project upwards. They are merely an aid to flexibility of an otherwise very rigid top."

"the notches represent the halfway point of the f hole to provide a center for the bridge placement, over where there is no bracing. But there is the bass bar nearby and the soundpost(violin inst's) on the other side for stability and vibration transmission. It all works together, the strings vibrate over the bridge, which sends it down into the center of the top table, where the sound holes help it move, sending the vibrations to the bass bar and the sound post, which connects to the back table, which helps project the sound though the whole instrument"

Beyond that I would also guess that the actual shape itself was just an attempt by the early original makers of violins to be fancy and then tradition carried on. Maybe the shape can be found in musical symbols such as the staff... idk.
~JP~
Last edited by Jammy Pige at Nov 29, 2009,
So bassically some asshole in the 1300's decided that was how we should do things and it hasn't changed? sweet...

im making a guitar with an Fb hole
because 'f' was the cool letter of the generation.
the 90's were 'X' and now we're in lower case 'i' I believe.

My prediction of the next buzz letter is......................'v'
Been in Japan since August, no fucking money left!
Quote by GaijinFoot

All these "i*insert some random thing*" is extremely irritating. It bothers me to absolutely no end and I want to smack Apple Macintosh's R&D guys who thought it would be smart and witty to name something i-*instert name*.

I think I'm done my irritated speach now...
Quote by I.O.T.M
Taking the piss out of Americans is like bullying retards, it's unashamedly one-sided but extremely gratifying.
Quote by the_perdestrian
So bassically some asshole in the 1300's decided that was how we should do things and it hasn't changed? sweet...

There are plenty of archtop guitars out there that have f-holes that don't look like the traditional f-hole at all. Like Jimmy D'Aquisto's later guitars.
Quote by GaijinFoot

The X phase was awesome

Everything struggled so hard to be "x-treme" and the sort. X-men were the shit. Blah blah blah

On topic, probably to distract us from the real mystery of what goes on in the holes themselves...

*breaks violin open and interrogate it to reveal it's secrets, spends 20 years of life obsessing over the question to no avail
Quote by the_perdestrian
im making a guitar with an Fb hole

So an E hole?
Quote by BobDetroit
Directions:
Unplug keyboard.
Place it in your butt so you can't post anymore.

Quote by Fadetoblack5:03
You deserve some form of awesome reward, but I'm to lazy. Imagine the rest of these:

Quote by TheBigProjekt
So an E hole?

no Fb. Im not exactly going for logic here ya know?