DISCLAIMER: THIS THREAD HAS ABSOLUTELY NOTHING TO DO WITH A HAMLET SEQUEL. IF YOU ARE ONLY INTERESTED IN SHAKESPEARE SEQUELS PLEASE LOOK ELSEWHERE. SORRY FOR THE CONFUSION :P

Hey, so I turned in the somewhat bullshitted rough draft of my Macbeth essay last week and scraped by, but now I could use some help w/ my conclusion. I was told to reiterate the thesis and go from specific to generic.

My thesis is: Macbeth is a character who was at first an honorable, good natured general, but through the meddling of the three witches, the manipulation of Lady Macbeth, and his own misgivings, he became a murderous tyrant.

Any help would be great.

thanks,
chenny
MEOW
Last edited by HeyItsChenny at Nov 30, 2009,
I'm guessing generic means that is should be a generalization - That is, not specifically about Macbeth?

Uh... I dunno man. Be sure to mention ambition and manipulation though.
I'm guessing generic means that is should be a generalization - That is, not specifically about Macbeth?

yeah something like that, i'm not really sure myself haha... thats why im here :P
MEOW
I was thinking this was about a proposed sequel to Hamlet 2.

sorry to dissapoint haha
MEOW
My interpretation of that whole specific to generic would be something to do with the concept of a 'tragic hero', since that is what Macbeth is meant to be, so you could say that Macbeth could be described as a tragic hero in so far as he has admirable qualities (Act I), but these traits are undercut by his tragic flaw, his ambition, which is perpetuated by Lady Macbeth and the Witches to bring about his downfall
Quote by Holy Katana
I was thinking this was about a proposed sequel to Hamlet 2.

me too
Member Of Jackson/Charvel Owners Group
First, learn to quote, there's a button at the bottom of each person's post.

Second, conclusions are like blondes, really easy *waits for the ensuing round of hysterical laughter*

All you have to do is say your thesis differently (ex. Macbeth was once on honourable general who then became a dick). In your next sentence reiterate how this happened (through the witches, Lady Macbeth, his own misgivings, etc.) Next you can throw in some random sentence if you want. Finally just have some insightful comment paralleling it to yourself/society/whatever (ex. Macbeth has shown that, like in today's cut-throat society, people will do anything to gain and hold onto power)
I <3 Companion Cube
Quote by Gizmo Jones
First, learn to quote, there's a button at the bottom of each person's post.

Second, conclusions are like blondes, really easy *waits for the ensuing round of hysterical laughter*

All you have to do is say your thesis differently (ex. Macbeth was once on honourable general who then became a dick). In your next sentence reiterate how this happened (through the witches, Lady Macbeth, his own misgivings, etc.) Next you can throw in some random sentence if you want. Finally just have some insightful comment paralleling it to yourself/society/whatever (ex. Macbeth has shown that, like in today's cut-throat society, people will do anything to gain and hold onto power)

thank you very very much. exactly what I was looking for.... oh and you're as much a comedian as blondes are likely to pass AP calc
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
SEE WHAT I DID THAR!?!!11!/
MEOW
Quote by HeyItsChenny
DISCLAIMER: THIS THREAD HAS ABSOLUTELY NOTHING TO DO WITH A HAMLET SEQUEL. IF YOU ARE ONLY INTERESTED IN SHAKESPEARE SEQUELS PLEASE LOOK ELSEWHERE. SORRY FOR THE CONFUSION :P

Hey, so I turned in the somewhat bullshitted rough draft of my Macbeth essay last week and scraped by, but now I could use some help w/ my conclusion. I was told to reiterate the thesis and go from specific to generic.

My thesis is: Macbeth is a character who was at first an honorable, good natured general, but through the meddling of the three witches, the manipulation of Lady Macbeth, and his own misgivings, he became a murderous tyrant.

Any help would be great.

thanks,
chenny

There are a few things wrong with your thesis, which I will highlight and stuff.

Macbeth is a character

Questionable word choice; you give what the reader already assumes without really giving him any more isnight into the character of Macbeth.

who was

In formal writing, you refer to literature in the present tense, always.

honorable, good natured general

Good is kind of a questionable word choice here, as it is not very specific.

but through the meddling of the three witches, the manipulation of Lady Macbeth, and his own misgivings

Present tense when referring to literature. Otherwise a fairly solid sentence.

he became a murderous tyrant.

Present tense, literature.

If you were to just rewrite your current thesis, it might look something like this:

Macbeth is a (tragic or flawed would work here, depending on your preference) character who appears at first glance a honorable, well mannered, loyal general, but through the manipulation of the three witches and Lady Macbeth coupled with his lingering doubt regarding his personal his character, he becomes a paranoid, murderous, indifferent tyrant.
Macbeth is a (tragic or flawed would work here, depending on your preference) character who appears at first glance a honorable, well mannered, loyal general, but through the manipulation of the three witches and Lady Macbeth coupled with his lingering doubt regarding his personal his character, he becomes a paranoid, murderous, indifferent tyrant.

Thank you very much for the careful analysis and feedback. I'm gonna change my thesis to pretty much exactly what you have minus a few adjectives cuz it seems like a lil much with 3 adjectives to each noun. thanks again
MEOW
Last edited by HeyItsChenny at Nov 30, 2009,
Quote by HeyItsChenny
Thank you very much for the careful analysis and feedback. I'm gonna change my thesis to pretty much exactly what you have minus a few adjectives cuz it seems like a lil much with 3 adjectives to each noun. thanks again though

You're more then welcome.