Page 1 of 2
The majority of guitar players I know usually play guitar because of guitar hero, or because its cool, or some crap like that, but whatever happened to making music? And whats the point to buying extremely expensive guitars anyways? I mean maybe a cheap ass guitar makes a sound that would suit a song better.
I mean sure people can replay some song that's extremely hard and brag about it, but that's not really the point of playing guitar. At least in my opinion, its about making music.
Last edited by zomgguitarz1234 at Nov 30, 2009,
i guess i play for a mix. i play because it is cool to make music. so cool + making music, i guess.
Warmoth Telecaster Deluxe. Warmoth Strat. Seagull Artist Portrait Acoustic.

"Well good God damn and other such phrases, I haven't heard a beat like this in ages!"
-Dan Le Sac Vs The Scroobius Pip
wtf, i find it amazing people dont realise whats wrong with them.... how do you say without shame " I play cause its cool"
i agree and my aim is to either get famous for my music (so can actually afford a living) or become a guitar builder because of my love for guitars and music.

and finally someone who agrees that megadeth is better than metallica!

that deserves a smilie stack

People in the pit take my post way too seriously.

MyAnimeList
7-String Legion

If you have a question PM me and I will always get back to you.
i play because its something that interests me and is something i wanna do for the rest of my life...
so in other words, im in it to make music....
so heres 1 dude.
I'm got a while before I start making music, been playing 4 months. I started to make my own music, not to play others. I'm sure that's fun, but I'd rather play a show where they are applauding for something I created, rather than something I covered.
well.... i did start because of guitar hero indirectly, i thought that playing cover songs with 5 buttons was kind of pointless so i decided to learn how to play cover songs with 6 strings. But yes, all i want to do is write music now, i get bored of covering songs (unless it's something really technical or melodic)

GUITARS CURRENTLY USED
Ibanez RG7621
Ibanez RG121
ESP LTD H-400
Quote by LedFender
i play because its something that interests me and is something i wanna do for the rest of my life...
so in other words, im in it to make music....
so heres 1 dude.

+1 times 10 to the 59th power. (note no matter what power 1 x 1 still equals one )

EDIT: the extra zero on the 2nd one was accidental

MyAnimeList
7-String Legion

Last edited by Deadlock Riff at Nov 30, 2009,
I started playing guitar before guitar hero and i hate that friggin game, its stupid how theyve made it look as if using 5 buttons can reflect a guitar players ability, especially considering that there is no emotion in pushing those buttons.
And theres the fact that i suck at that game, but can sit next to someone playing it and actually play the real notes instead of colours popping up on the screen.
But i guess its a welcome to the new computerised generation, cant be arsed learning how to play a real instrument so they go for the next easiest thing.
Quote by zomgguitarz1234
The majority of guitar players I know usually play guitar because of guitar hero, or because its cool, or some crap like that, but whatever happened to making music? And whats the point to buying extremely expensive guitars anyways? I mean maybe a cheap ass guitar makes a sound that would suit a song better.
I mean sure people can replay some song that's extremely hard and brag about it, but that's not really the point of playing guitar. At least in my opinion, its about making music.

I hate to make assumptions, but I'd imagine you're pretty new to the guitar. The people you're being exposed to are probably the same age as you, and are just starting out. Give it five years, then see who's still playing.

I think anyone who picks up a guitar has something in them that recognizes that it's an incredibly fluent instrument of expression, and if they find that expression is something they can tap into and create something they find beautiful or meaningful, it won't matter if they picked up the guitar because of guitar hero, or because they listen to hendrix for hours on end.

Buying an expensive guitar, for a lot of people, feels awfully close to spending hours and years practicing - it's an investment, in any form, of yourself into your instrument. So what if it's money? Sure, practice is more important, but if you grind away at a job five days a week and want to blow three paychecks on a PRS that you can rock the hell out on saturday and sunday, what's the harm in that?
I've been playing bits and pieces since I was like 7, my motive right now is to make music, I have no idea what made me start though...

EDIT: Hahaha, I think i may have started because i though piano was gay :P
I've started playing a bit of piano again tho, to expand my musical knowledge and.... cuz it's pretty awesome
Last edited by LPDC at Nov 30, 2009,
Yep, it's about about doing what you love, making music. I've learned now to follow the "cool" trends of playing guitar. It doesn't have to be super complex, or super easy for that matter to be music. Play the music you want to play. Play what sounds good to you!
Quote by connorhxcchaos
And theres the fact that i suck at that game, but can sit next to someone playing it and actually play the real notes instead of colours popping up on the screen.

I do the same thing. When I was at my buddies place, I was sitting watching him play while doodling around on my guitar, when he's like, "ok, I'm gonna attempt Slayer's Raining Blood, it's so hard man, you have no idea", and while he was playing, I played along, even after he failed the song

And one of the reasons I keep playing and buying new guitars/amps/effects/whatever, is cause I like to fidget and play with these things. The first thing I did with my Jackson when I got it home was take the hole thing apart, learn how the floyd works and goes together, then put it back together. That's fun for me.
MY GEAR:
PRS SE Custom 24
Jackson DKA7
Gibson Explorer
MESA/Boogie Express 5:25
BOSS GT-100

BOSS TU-2
Dunlop Cry Baby Classic
BOSS NS-2
VOX Joe Satriani Ice 9 OD Pedal
VOX Joe Satriani Time Machine Delay Pedal
Ernie Ball Strings
V Picks
Last edited by Koshman32 at Nov 30, 2009,
Hi there. I play more because I enjoy it than to make music, but playing stuff I write is an immensely close second in terms of why I play to fun.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 50-54
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 0-0
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 0-0
Quote by Roc8995
I hate to make assumptions, but I'd imagine you're pretty new to the guitar. The people you're being exposed to are probably the same age as you, and are just starting out. Give it five years, then see who's still playing.

I think anyone who picks up a guitar has something in them that recognizes that it's an incredibly fluent instrument of expression, and if they find that expression is something they can tap into and create something they find beautiful or meaningful, it won't matter if they picked up the guitar because of guitar hero, or because they listen to hendrix for hours on end.

Buying an expensive guitar, for a lot of people, feels awfully close to spending hours and years practicing - it's an investment, in any form, of yourself into your instrument. So what if it's money? Sure, practice is more important, but if you grind away at a job five days a week and want to blow three paychecks on a PRS that you can rock the hell out on saturday and sunday, what's the harm in that?

this + 9999999999

and not only is a really expensive guitar an investment, it gives you bragging rights for a week on UG
Gear:
Jackson SL1 !
Jackson SLS3 w/ bk warpig
ibanez RGA 121 with D sonic and paf pro
peavey triple X with JJ 6L6s and celestion G12k-100
bad monkey
mxr 10 band eq
digitech hardwire dl8
paul gilbert's airplane flanger
Quote by whoswt
and not only is a really expensive guitar an investment, it gives you bragging rights for a week on UG

MY GEAR:
PRS SE Custom 24
Jackson DKA7
Gibson Explorer
BOSS GT-100

BOSS TU-2
Dunlop Cry Baby Classic
BOSS NS-2
Ernie Ball Strings
V Picks
I play guitar beacuse im interested in it and want to have a go at making music however i dont feel like im ready to do that yet,atm i enjoy playing songs by my idols and learing new techiniques and then when i feel like im ready to take a shot and making music i'll do that.At he moment i enjoy playing others stuff and i want to learn more stuff and scales on guitar.
Last edited by DANGERSTRANGER at Nov 30, 2009,
I love playing covers, but there's no better feeling than writing a cool song.
Quote by BobDetroit
Directions:
Unplug keyboard.
Place it in your butt so you can't post anymore.

Quote by Fadetoblack5:03
You deserve some form of awesome reward, but I'm to lazy. Imagine the rest of these:

Quote by Roc8995

Actually I've been playing guitar for about 7 years now.

Anyways, I don't really hate people who got influenced by guitar hero, or by anything really. I just dislike it when people only play guitar for its looks, or because its cool rather than wanting to make music.

Its not buying fancy guitars that I dislike, or originally starting from guitar hero instead of CDs. Its just that people don't do it for the music anymore, just because its cool or some stupid shit like that.

TL;DR
People who just want to have fun, and make music or just play covers don't bother me. Its the jerkoffs who do it for the looks, and brag about being skilled at guitar that piss me off. Like people who hate killswitch's because its easier than playing music normally. Who cares? Its all about how it sounds.
Last edited by zomgguitarz1234 at Nov 30, 2009,
Quote by Roc8995
That and musicians are really bad with money. I forgot that part.

ah we in the musical realm know of that well. for example guitarist with G.A.S.

MyAnimeList
7-String Legion

Quote by connorhxcchaos
I started playing guitar before guitar hero and i hate that friggin game, its stupid how theyve made it look as if using 5 buttons can reflect a guitar players ability, especially considering that there is no emotion in pushing those buttons.
But i guess its a welcome to the new computerised generation, cant be arsed learning how to play a real instrument so they go for the next easiest thing.

its a freakin video game, no one thinks guitar hero reflects a persons ability to play guitar. not everyone is musically talented, so guitar hero is the next best thing for those people. i dont see NFL players shitting on everyone that likes playing madden just because theyre not good enough to play in the ****in NFL. In fact, they endorse that shit. Or boxers getting pissed of that people are playing fight night rather than getting their faces pounded in everyday. i hate how crappy-ass guitarists, much unlike yourself im sure, love to shit on guitar hero even tho it's a lot of fun and it's great at getting music out there to people who have never heard it. yea, the music that people listen to today sucks ass, which is why, even tho it sucks, its a good thing that kids hear all the great songs from past generations for the first time now and realize, damn this music is good. 4 of the 8 people i was living with a few years ago had never heard freebird (which i believe landed at #4 on Q104.3's thanksgiving top 1043 rock songs of all time this year) before guitar hero. ridiculous i know, but now that theyve heard it thru guitar hero, they love skynyrd, so who's to say that's a bad thing?! Quit ****in whining that not everybody is as talented as you think you are and kindly shut your face for a while...
i play cause it's fun. i like music. guitar just grabs at me the most. i would like to own other shit, but playing guitar takes my money.
stay lit

Quote by PeteTLT
Will preamp tubes turn black and melt slightly undernormal conditions and still work?
i play for the love of music (all my instruments) and it relaxes me
Gibson Les Paul Jr.
1984 Marshall JCM 800 4210
Voc AC30c2
Quote by Roc8995
That and musicians are really bad with money. I forgot that part.

hahahahaha

I'm gonna use that as an excuse from now on.
Quote by zomgguitarz1234
Actually I've been playing guitar for about 7 years now.

Anyways, I don't really hate people who got influenced by guitar hero, or by anything really. I just dislike it when people only play guitar for its looks, or because its cool rather than wanting to make music.

Its not buying fancy guitars that I dislike, or originally starting from guitar hero instead of CDs. Its just that people don't do it for the music anymore, just because its cool or some stupid shit like that.

Who cares who does it for what reason? People playing guitar because they think it's cool or because they want to emulate their hero doesn't affect you in any way,shape,or form.Guitar Hero,if anything,has inspired more people to pick up the instrument,and more players finding out about the joys of guitar and playing music is never a bad thing.

WARNING!: THIS USER HAS BEEN KNOWN TO BE AN OPINIONATED ASS. ALWAYS USE CAUTION WHEN READING POSTS AND NEVER USE NEAR AN OPEN FLAME.USE ONLY AS DIRECTED.KEEP OUT OF REACH OF CHILDREN.

Quote by Schafler21
its a freakin video game, no one thinks guitar hero reflects a persons ability to play guitar. not everyone is musically talented, so guitar hero is the next best thing for those people. i dont see NFL players shitting on everyone that likes playing madden just because theyre not good enough to play in the ****in NFL. In fact, they endorse that shit. Or boxers getting pissed of that people are playing fight night rather than getting their faces pounded in everyday. i hate how crappy-ass guitarists, much unlike yourself im sure, love to shit on guitar hero even tho it's a lot of fun and it's great at getting music out there to people who have never heard it. yea, the music that people listen to today sucks ass, which is why, even tho it sucks, its a good thing that kids hear all the great songs from past generations for the first time now and realize, damn this music is good. 4 of the 8 people i was living with a few years ago had never heard freebird (which i believe landed at #4 on Q104.3's thanksgiving top 1043 rock songs of all time this year) before guitar hero. ridiculous i know, but now that theyve heard it thru guitar hero, they love skynyrd, so who's to say that's a bad thing?! Quit ****in whining that not everybody is as talented as you think you are and kindly shut your face for a while...

i dig it.
stay lit

Quote by PeteTLT
Will preamp tubes turn black and melt slightly undernormal conditions and still work?
Quote by zomgguitarz1234

So you're saying buying a bunch of expensive guitars, and having them around your house just for a collection, even though you barely play them, is completely different form buying a bunch of expensive paintings and having them around your house, even though you couldn't paint or draw or whatever to save yourself.

Some people just like to own guitars. There are those rich people who are musically dyslectic, and have expensive guitars just for a collection.
MY GEAR:
PRS SE Custom 24
Jackson DKA7
Gibson Explorer
BOSS GT-100

BOSS TU-2
Dunlop Cry Baby Classic
BOSS NS-2
Ernie Ball Strings
V Picks
Quote by Deadlock Riff
+1 times 10 to the 59th power. (note no matter what power 1 x 1 still equals one )

You failed math didn't you? Cause that sure as hell doesn't simplify down to 1, that equals 100000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000
Quote by Gruesomania
You failed math didn't you? Cause that sure as hell doesn't simplify down to 1, that equals 100000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000

lol thanks for noticing that i meant 1 to the 59th power. sorry i havent slept in two days.

MyAnimeList
7-String Legion

Quote by Gruesomania

I think he had a mental slip up and added a zero to the one by mistake .

WARNING!: THIS USER HAS BEEN KNOWN TO BE AN OPINIONATED ASS. ALWAYS USE CAUTION WHEN READING POSTS AND NEVER USE NEAR AN OPEN FLAME.USE ONLY AS DIRECTED.KEEP OUT OF REACH OF CHILDREN.

does it really matter if the person got interested through guitar hero?

we all start somewhere, and we all realize at different point and perspectives on when we want to play.
I can't believe how many people in my school, see an amazing guitarist and comment "Wow, I bet that guy would be good at guitar hero." Makes me want to rip their head off. But to be 100% honest, I did start of gutiar because of Guitar hero *cowers in fear. But I think Im making progress...Paul Gilbert is my idol =P
Quote by Punk_Ninja
I play guitar to make music, play music, entertain myself/others.

The minute I get a mac I'm gonna start a solo album

Same exact intent here actually. I'm debating whether or not to buy an SM57 before or after the MacBook.

Am I the only one who smells a group? And if I am, is it just my tiredness speaking?
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 50-54
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 0-0
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 0-0
I play guitar 'cause I want?

I suck at Guitar Hero thou
Quote by TheChaz
I ran over two squirrels at once one time. They were chasing after each other in the street, and I swerved to avoid them, but ended up with one under each tire. Still my greatest driving accomplishment to date.

Quote by WantsLesPaul
Hitler could have been aborted
Quote by necrosis1193
Same exact intent here actually. I'm debating whether or not to buy an SM57 before or after the MacBook.

Am I the only one who smells a group? And if I am, is it just my tiredness speaking?

I'd get the macbook first, as you can still record using pre-set sounds by plugging straight into the mac, you'd be surprised at some of the sounds you can get by just using garageband's presets.
Page 1 of 2