Hi, i'm to new customizing my guitar. I want to buy new pick ups. I like to play metal. I currently have a fender stratocaste, and it cannot handle the gain. So can anyone suggest what brand, if I need a certant size. Etc Etc.
budget, what kind of strat you have, what kind of metal, and what amp you play with would be extremely helpful...
2008 Fender American Standard Stratocaster
Schecter C-1+
Squier '51 (blonde with black pickguard)
Fender Super Champ XD
Have you tried turning the gain down on your amp? Or lowering your pickups away from the strings.

EDIT: Wait a tic..... You like to play metal but you can't handle the gain?
MY GEAR:
PRS SE Custom 24
Jackson DKA7
Gibson Explorer
MESA/Boogie Express 5:25
BOSS GT-100

BOSS TU-2
Dunlop Cry Baby Classic
BOSS NS-2
VOX Joe Satriani Ice 9 OD Pedal
VOX Joe Satriani Time Machine Delay Pedal
Ernie Ball Strings
V Picks
My guitar can't handle the gain. I like stuff like all shall parish... protest the hero up to $200 possibley 300. Currently I got an broken down vox (which I will get repaired
Quote by vinxle
My guitar can't handle the gain. I like stuff like all shall parish... protest the hero up to $200 possibley 300. Currently I got an broken down vox (which I will get repaired

I think it's your amp that can't handle the gain... Like I said, turn the gain down on your amp, and try lowering your pickups
MY GEAR:
PRS SE Custom 24
Jackson DKA7
Gibson Explorer
BOSS GT-100

BOSS TU-2
Dunlop Cry Baby Classic
BOSS NS-2
Ernie Ball Strings
V Picks
I have had 3 amps. And it did the same. To all of them. Spider, Peavy, Vox. I was told fenders stock stuff isn't ment for this kind of gain.
Quote by vinxle
I have had 3 amps. And it did the same. To all of them. Spider, Peavy, Vox. I was told fenders stock stuff isn't ment for this kind of gain.

Or maybe it's cause you buy shitty amps.

Don't blow your money on pickups when you have a crap amp. Save up, buy a tube amp, then upgrade your guitar.
MY GEAR:
PRS SE Custom 24
Jackson DKA7
Gibson Explorer
BOSS GT-100

BOSS TU-2
Dunlop Cry Baby Classic
BOSS NS-2
Ernie Ball Strings
V Picks
Quote by vinxle
Vox is tube, it's my guitar. I know it. It's a fact.

And where did you get this fact from? I've never heard of a Fender Strat being bad for metal.

And you haven't really explained your gain problem. What exactly is happening?
MY GEAR:
PRS SE Custom 24
Jackson DKA7
Gibson Explorer
BOSS GT-100

BOSS TU-2
Dunlop Cry Baby Classic
BOSS NS-2
Ernie Ball Strings
V Picks
My knockoff Tele could handle gain well enough. You need a new amp more than pickups

I was told fenders stock stuff isn't ment for this kind of gain.
You were told so you don't totally know. They can handle the amount of gain that your amp dishes out. You need a better amp but if you're dead set on upgrading pickups then get some Lil' Killers from GFS. Just get one for the bridge for now then focus your money on an amp.

EDIT: sounds like an amp problem as well. Try different positions. You should have one or two positions that don't hum.
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
And you said your amp needed to be fixed. Do that before anything else
MY GEAR:
PRS SE Custom 24
Jackson DKA7
Gibson Explorer
BOSS GT-100

BOSS TU-2
Dunlop Cry Baby Classic
BOSS NS-2
Ernie Ball Strings
V Picks
But it only happens when I use distortion. I have used 3 different amps. How can it be the amp!?!?!? And btw I just broke it last week driving city to city.
Quote by vinxle
But it only happens when I use distortion. I have used 3 different amps. How can it be the amp!?!?!? And btw I just broke it last week driving city to city.

If you're getting static on all 3 amps, maybe your guitars ground wire is loose or off
MY GEAR:
PRS SE Custom 24
Jackson DKA7
Gibson Explorer
BOSS GT-100

BOSS TU-2
Dunlop Cry Baby Classic
BOSS NS-2
Ernie Ball Strings
V Picks
Quote by Koshman32
And where did you get this fact from? I've never heard of a Fender Strat being bad for metal.

And you haven't really explained your gain problem. What exactly is happening?

Its a pretty well known fact that Strats are far from ideal for playing metal.

vinxle - Personally, I haven't used a wide enough variety of pickups to recommend a specific model, but you can't go wrong with a nice PAF style humbucker. You may want something with more gain than that though.
Member of the official GB&C "Who to Listen to" list
Quote by handbanana
wiliscool is just plain dumb
Last edited by wiliscool at Nov 30, 2009,
Quote by Koshman32
If you're getting static on all 3 amps, maybe your guitars ground wire is loose or off

What's the ground wire exactly?
it goes through your guitar to the tremolo claw.

and agreed, an amp affects your tone much more than pickups do.
2008 Fender American Standard Stratocaster
Schecter C-1+
Squier '51 (blonde with black pickguard)
Fender Super Champ XD
Hm o, it's just also my friend has a spider same series and watts, and had no static at all. With full gain.
And also, I got my guitar from my uncle, and hes trailer trash...... so. It has been doing it since my first amp.
Quote by vinxle
And also, I got my guitar from my uncle, and hes trailer trash...... so. It has been doing it since my first amp.

What the hell does that have to do with anything? Your last two posts are pointless.

You should look into the grounding problem that was explained to you, perhaps a search around google or maybe the wiring thread can assist you. It does not sound like a pickup problem, those single coils are NOT ideal for metal, but they should not buzz as you've described.
Last.fm

Good Trades:
lp_dude_2 / miketheslut/ kshands / alexmack

Last edited by Steve-Mo at Nov 30, 2009,
...Skimming through this thread puts a tear to my eye.

Let's get one things straight.

Strats, single coils, and any Fender related product CAN do metal.
I prove that to myself on a regular basis.
If you play an Ibanez through a Vox AC30, it won't shriek with screaming heavy metal solos.
Similarly, you can play a Fender through a Peavey 6505 and you won't come out sounding like Eric Clapton.

To actually add to the thread, I would suggest a stacked humbucker in the bridge (Maybe DiMarzio) and some higher output singles for the bridge and neck (DiMarzio again perhaps, some of the single coils they do are quite good, the ones Yngwie Malmsteen uses in the neck and middle (I forget the name now) would be okay).

But seriously, a strat can easily do metal, hell, look at the guy from Wintersun, he often uses a Tele, just a straight up Tele.

Take that very same strat to a guitar shop, ask to try out some amps, try out all sorts of amps, assuming you're on a bit of a budget, check out the Peavey Valveking. Hell even if you aren't going to buy it, stick your guitar into an ENGL Screamer or something, just to prove to you that strats can easily do metal.
Although people will say otherwise, to try and make a single coil do metal is a futile exercise, and nothing will sound darker than a heavily distorted humbucker. However, unless you have an HSS guitar or you want to cut a hole in the pickguard and route out the wood for a new humbucker, you're gonna have to go stacked.

Basically, a stacked humbucker is a humbucker in the casing of a single coil. Obviously ti's more complicated than that, but for all intents and purposes, that's all you need to know. Seymour Duncan make pickups known as "Hot Rails", which have a satisfyingly dark and heavy tone when distorted, and they're as quiet as any other humbucker would be. DiMarzio make various stacked humbuckers (they're the crux of their single coil line), and I personally use one called the Virtual Solo - it's got a brutal distorted tone and, when clean, you wouldn't be able to tell that it wasn't a legit humbucker. Also, and this is just me, they look better than Hot Rails because they have the standard 6 poles and fit in with the aesthetic of the Stratocaster guitar.

Your amp is also important (in many cases, I'd say get a new amp before getting a new pickup, but in this case, you should really be getting both at the same time because no amp will make your single coil sound anything more than an imitation of a metal humbucker). I'm not exactly an expert on amps, but I do know that you'll want a tube amp, which I love because you can saturate the power tubes to give it a really edgy tone. Depending on what scale you'll be playing (basement, band rehearsal, small gigs, larger gigs, etc.), you've got a huge variety of brands and, importantly, wattages to choose from. The only advice I can give here is to try them out.

tl;dr - I put the names of two particular models of two brands that you can try out.
Thank you ken and ninja. NINJA great idea with bringing my guitar. I wouldn't have thought of that. And ken, thank you for the facts and a quick tut on some good brands. I looked abit online with brands and the most expensive was seymour. So I was going to guess it is most likely the best brand?
Expensive doesn't mean better. It's all personal tastes. I would get a single or a set of GFS because they're cheap and they'd fix the problem you think you have.
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Quote by wiliscool

Its a pretty well known fact that Strats are far from ideal for playing metal.

vinxle - Personally, I haven't used a wide enough variety of pickups to recommend a specific model, but you can't go wrong with a nice PAF style humbucker. You may want something with more gain than that though.

I get a load of fun playing metal on my strat!
Have u checked if it's the cable? And are u running it straight into the amp?
Quote by kenan6346
Although people will say otherwise, to try and make a single coil do metal is a futile exercise, and nothing will sound darker than a heavily distorted humbucker.

Bollocks. As if that's even slightly true, I use single coils and play metal and things using a metal tone all the time, so do many other users on UG.
There's so much evidence that shows, tone is in the amp, pickups just change the voice of it really, the metal tone you get from single coils is completely different to what you get from a humbucker, but it's still a metal tone.

I'm sorry to take over the thread like this, but without even using that "Iron Maiden use strats" (they do, but they use stacked singles/humbuckers in many of their guitars) I can give proof of this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JHGmQaDA_nM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bFipdIuoU9I
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_EneQUjwMTE

I couldn't find a decent clip of Jason Becker using a strat unfortunately.

Point is, tone is from the amp.

And no problem Vinxle about the suggestion, it's always best at a guitar shop to take your guitar (when testing new gear) or at least be using a guitar the same as yours, to get a feel for what it'd sound like with your home set up. Which is why testing pedals can be really annoying, cos there's a low chance they'll have your exact amp AND guitar!
Quote by Punk_Ninja
...Skimming through this thread puts a tear to my eye.

Let's get one things straight.

Strats, single coils, and any Fender related product CAN do metal.

Quote by divinorum69
I get a load of fun playing metal on my strat!

Quote by Punk_Ninja
Bollocks. As if that's even slightly true, I use single coils and play metal and things using a metal tone all the time, so do many other users on UG.

Just for the record, I'm not saying that single coils can't do metal. I'm saying that with this guy's current setup the most cost effective way to get a more (as in more than what he currently has) metal sound would be to drop in a high gain bridge humbucker (or better yet, buy a nice distortion pedal).

Personally, I know that if I run my Teisco, which has the wimpiest, weakest single coils known to man, through my distortion setup (2 eq's, a boost, and a Boss Mega Distortion) you'd have absolutely no idea what guitar I was playing. And if I switch over to my SG with a 490T in the bridge, you probably wouldn't notice the difference.
Also for the record, the amp I use with that rig is a Hot Rod Deluxe on the clean channel.

Point being, your sound comes from your pedals, not your amp or guitar, but vinxle didn't mention having or wanting to buy any pedals.
Quote by handbanana
Quote by wiliscool
Point being, your sound comes from your pedals, not your amp or guitar, but vinxle didn't mention having or wanting to buy any pedals.

So you're saying if you took your pedals, ran them through a Marshall MG or a Line 6 Spider III, and compare the tone to a high end tube, just cause the pedals are the same your tone is going to be the same?

I don't think so. Your amp is what makes foundation for a good tone. Pedals help in the end. A distortion pedal for more gain, etc.
MY GEAR:
PRS SE Custom 24
Jackson DKA7
Gibson Explorer
BOSS GT-100

BOSS TU-2
Dunlop Cry Baby Classic
BOSS NS-2
Ernie Ball Strings
V Picks
Quote by wiliscool

Sorry but that's the most foolish thing I've heard!

What happens to the people who run their rig dry? Just amp and guitar, like Angus Young and Rory Gallagher (well he did in his earlier days).

I often take away my floor based rig just to hear the natural tone of the amp.
I'd say the amp is the most important aspect, the guitar is the second, and the pedals are the least important, mainly because, they're third party, it's not as if you NEED pedals to shape your tone.

You're practically saying here, if you get a no-brand starter pack amp and stick a Maxon OD9 Pro+ in front of it, along with an Encore (or similar plywood style guitar) going into that you'll end up with great tone because you have a good pedal?

Sorry man, but you have a way to go before you understand what makes good tone if you think pedals are the main influence upon tone.
Look, I'm not trying to get into a pissing contest with you here. I'm just trying to convey that in this guy's case, his best option would be to buy a distortion pedal, and/or drop a bridge humbucker into his guitar.
He said that he already has a vox tube amp which he needs to get repaired. For some people its just not feasable to buy a new amp, whether they want to save up for years or not.

I'm fairly certain that if vinxle put a decent distortion pedal in his rig, he'd get much closer to the sound he wants.
BUT he didn't say anything about using a distortion pedal. Some people don't want to use pedals (as you've pointed out yourself), in which case the best option would be to install new pickups, and (in the most general sense possible) the most commonly used type of pickup in metal is the bridge position humbucker.

Quote by Punk_Ninja
You're practically saying here, if you get a no-brand starter pack amp and stick a Maxon OD9 Pro+ in front of it, along with an Encore (or similar plywood style guitar) going into that you'll end up with great tone because you have a good pedal?

No, but I'm pretty certain you'd agree that without the Maxon that setup would about 10 times worse.

When I started playing all I had was a plywood Squire Bullet and a Peavey Blazer practice amp. The next thing I ever bought was my Mega Distortion, and guess what? I sounded a hell of a lot better.
Quote by handbanana
Quote by wiliscool
When I started playing all I had was a plywood Squire Bullet and a Peavey Blazer practice amp. The next thing I ever bought was my Mega Distortion, and guess what? I sounded a hell of a lot better.

It might have sounded better to the untrained ear. When I had my MG, I bought a BOSS MT-2, and I though with that set up I had a great tone, when I started, but as my ears developed, no matter how much tweaking I did with the pedal and amp EQ's, I couldn't find a good tone. So to the store I went to trade in my MG to a MESA tube amp. Found an awesome tone with it without the pedal. Then when I tried it with the pedal, no matter what I did, I couldn't find a tone I like more than just straight amp.

So yes, a pedal can change your tone drastically, but no matter how good the pedal is, in the mix with a shitty amp, your tone is gonna be shitty.
MY GEAR:
PRS SE Custom 24
Jackson DKA7
Gibson Explorer
BOSS GT-100

BOSS TU-2
Dunlop Cry Baby Classic
BOSS NS-2
Ernie Ball Strings
V Picks
I totally disagree that pedals are what matters but I do agree that a pedal could help the TS's situation depending on what's up with his amp.
Quote by Fat Lard

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
TS I think you should see if your guitar is having grounding problems. And if not, try lowering your pickups away from the strings. It shouldn't sound so "hot" or "gainy"
MY GEAR:
PRS SE Custom 24
Jackson DKA7
Gibson Explorer
BOSS GT-100

BOSS TU-2
Dunlop Cry Baby Classic
BOSS NS-2
Ernie Ball Strings
V Picks
Hello, I have finally got a new amp. And my amp was the problem I guess. I have no static what so ever! I love peavey. It has such great sound and so much power!
What amp is it?

Glad that cleared it up btw
Quote by Fat Lard

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls