Right. So, I was wondering, because I've never heard a straightforward answer to this before (Even though I find it hard to believe that the answer is anything but a "yes")

Is it acceptable to 'make your own' chord progressions?

Like I said, before you get disrespectful and call me a retard or something, please remember that I said I only have not reeceieved an answer to this before, and that I think I have enough mental capacity to figure this out on my own. I'm just wanting that answer I have never gotten.

Obviously, you wouldnt want to group/arrange totally 'nasty' sounding chords together, but is it acceptable within reason?

Thanks.
With enough money saved you will buy a new straw skirt and coconut bikini, a airplane ticket back to civilization and a large Mesa Boogie amp and a Gibson Explorer and shred the faces off with METALLICA!

Well, chances are, any progression you come up with that sounds good has already been done. But all that matters is that it sounds good. It's not like chord progressions have existed since the dawn of time, people have had to "make their own" before.
Quote by AA00P
Listen to the man, he's Jewish.
Of course you can take any chords you want and make a chord progression. This is called creativity.
Quote by guitarsftw
Well, chances are, any progression you come up with that sounds good has already been done. But all that matters is that it sounds good. It's not like chord progressions have existed since the dawn of time, people have had to "make their own" before.

Right, I realize that. I just figured it would be easier to say "make my own" instead of going into a whole thing about how most possible ones have already been used, and how I realize that.

But what I mean is, is it acceptable to break away from the 'main ones' and be creative?

(Might sound like an ironic question especially because of that part about creativity, but still)

EDIT: Okay, thanks thats just the straightforward answer I was looking for.
With enough money saved you will buy a new straw skirt and coconut bikini, a airplane ticket back to civilization and a large Mesa Boogie amp and a Gibson Explorer and shred the faces off with METALLICA!

There are no set laws within music, even what some people percieve as bad may same good to others.
Music theory is constantly changing as time goes on. It used to be considerd "bad" to not stay within a scale and now many bands just play atonal music (no set scale).

So if you come up with something that sounds good to you use it. Yes, chances are someones used it already, but it doesn't really matter. Go and do whatever you like, that's the only way to change music
(\__/)
(='.'=)Help the Bunny
(")_(")
Of course it's acceptable. Will a chord progression (assuming no extended chords are used) you write that's all diatonic be original? Chances are, no.

If you really want an original chord progression, try writing a progression using modulation: going from one key to another.
WHY IS EVERYONE IN THE PIT A FUCKING METALCORE KID
a chord progression is a group of chords played one after another. every song has a different chord progression. anyone can make their own. C G F# Am. there. i made a chord progression
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JdxkVQy7QLM
see that. it's funnny. and it has an example of a very well know chord progression
GRUPO EN ESPAÑOL

SI BUSCAS BANDA EN LATINOAMERICA O ESPAÑA, ENTRA AQUI
Writing your own chord progressions is just the first step to writing your own songs - go for it, experiment, have fun
Maybe you need to expand the music that you listen to, TS.

How much jazz fusion have you heard?
a prime example of someone creating their "own" chords...joni mitchell...she has a number of tunings that seem to work for her voice and songs..

do they "break harmonic laws" not a bit....it would take some work to track the logic of the chord forms...but the bottom line is...they all sound good...theory be dammed...

play well

wolf
Quote by wolflen
a prime example of someone creating their "own" chords...joni mitchell...she has a number of tunings that seem to work for her voice and songs..

do they "break harmonic laws" not a bit....it would take some work to track the logic of the chord forms...but the bottom line is...they all sound good...theory be dammed...

play well

wolf

I'm sure theory could analyze her chords just fine. She might have different voicings than you're used to, or maybe even the same voicing, only with a different tab because the tuning is different, but the chord still stays the same. Ohh, and the "work to track the logic of the chord forms" is very easy when you know some theory.