like you have heen running scales for months...and one day you woke up and run scales again...your ability to run fast and smooth is like suddenly reduced by 50%
tired of finger speed exercise and turned into slow blues improvisation lately
Yea your probably just having a bad day that's all. It's happened to me before don't get too frustrated.
Quote by andy_thomas
Were you by any chance, exposing your scrotum to an open flame?
It could also be your set up is a bit off? For me, if the action is too high or low i can't play worth a shit (and not to brag, but i'd say i'm a pretty good guitarist). try fiddling with your action?
I'll get times like that...for whatever reason my fingers just seem to run a step behind, i'll actually have to think about what im doing and start drawing blanks. But ill just start strumming some easy chords and play things i know i can usually play fast, but do it extremely slow til my fingers regain their "memory" and coordination.
maybe its cold and your fingers are nnumb
maybe your guitar is tuned badly and it sounds odd
maybe you just slept badly and can coordinate that well
just play them slowlier for a while nd it will go away
Oh yeah. One time, I sucked so bad. Like it felt like I was picking up a guitar for the second time or something like that. I just put the guitar down, got all pissed and really confused and saddened and just exasperated, then posted about it here. haha. It happens. Don't worry.
Jackson RR5 ivory w/ EMG 81/85
Jackson DX6 w/ SD Distortion & Dimarzio Super Distortion
Fender Starcaster Sunburst
Mesa/Boogie DC-3
Johnson JT50 Mirage
Ibanez TS-9
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Boss CE-5

ISP Decimator
Boss DD-6
Korg Pitchblack
Play chords for like 20-30 minutes , it all comes back after that.
Try stretching for fingers and muscles, run your hands in hot water. Get the blood flowing and your fingers limbre. I had this trouble alot until i got my technique/Muscle memory down a bit better also.
Quote by dmtransmutation
What the Grunge-haters think is just mindless musical nonsense, in reality is the restoration of the old rule of harmony to not write an entire song in one tonality/key
Some days your fingers just don't feel like cooperating. I usually take a break, do some dishes in really hot water, then come back and start slow. Don't get frustrated, trying to force yourself to play better will only tense you up and make things worse.
It will get better, give it time.
More importantly though, how is your playing? Your ability to run scales doesn't really mean anything when it comes to determining how good you are.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Are you feeling burned out and have a lack of motivation? If so,maybe you need to take a couple days off. I wouldn't worry about it too much, it's likely just a short-term problem.
Quote by steven seagull
More importantly though, how is your playing? Your ability to run scales doesn't really mean anything when it comes to determining how good you are.

i am still trying to hook up with the fretboard mechanically so there aint much music in it....i have started quite a bit of theory and will be trying to to ear training at the same time as i run scale...or is there anything more useful i can do? thx steven
You could be tired, have not warmed up properly, never been able to actually run the scales cleanly, pick could be ****ed, you're drunk, etc.

There are tons of reasons why.
Quote by molala2
i am still trying to hook up with the fretboard mechanically so there aint much music in it....i have started quite a bit of theory and will be trying to to ear training at the same time as i run scale...or is there anything more useful i can do? thx steven

There's no point worrying about speed when playing scales, the most important thing is the ear training and fretboard familiarity. As far as muscle memory and technical ability goes you're far better off using something with some kind of practical application to practice, a lick or pattern that you could actually use in a solo, or even just a song.

A perceived drop in ability could be for any number of reasons, tired, bored, distracted, cold..or you could simply be getting more critical of yourself.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Last edited by steven seagull at Nov 30, 2009,
thx mark!
Yeah, there are lots of reasons for having a bad day. A couple of examples of things that I've notice affect my playing a lot.

1) Sleep. I play like crap when I've had a couple of nights without enough sleep.
2) Amount of tension built up over the day. I play noticeably better on Saturdays and Sundays when I wake up and go to straight to the guitar after an hour or two to wake up, than I do on weeknights when I've been at work all day.

Or it could just be built up fatigue from playing. In that case take a day off and all will be right with the world again.
It happens all the time. Sometimes your brain just doesn't want to work as well as it could on certain days. There may be other psychological factors as well, such as stress. Just take it easy, especially if you've been practicing like crazy. It takes awhile for connections in the brain to really solidify. That's why if you stop practicing for a couple days then come back you'll seem a lot better (because you really are, your subconscious worked itself out like that!).
be sure that ur finger nails are short enough... sometimes my finger nails get too long, then i lose my speed. lol
I hate days like that. I've got a dodgy as sleep pattern at the mo as I just got off school, so I'm often kinda drowsy and struggle to think straight when playing runs and whatnot. Just persevere, simplify it a bit til you can think more about complicated stuff, and really put all your focus into where the available notes lie. At least thats what I'd do.
Gear
Hamer Standard XT
1963 Burns Split Sonic
Boss DD-7 (w/ Tap switch)
BAJA Real Tube Overdrive
Vox V847 Wah
Digitech Whammy IV
Boss TU-2
Vox AD50VTXL
Stoned from the night before?

This is why people do warm-ups. I wouldn't stress about it, it's normal. I mean, I just ate 5 slices of pizza for lunch, and i'm pretty sure if i jumped on the guitar now i'd be pretty sloppy, just cos i've got all this oil in me making me feel groggy. Try taking some vitamins and maybe a cup of coffee, if that's your thing.