So, I love crazy effects and distortion on bass - I cant say why really, but I just enjoy being able to take a riff, and put a whole new spin on it.

I currently have a Zoom B2.1u, now, not really anything to complain about, it wasn't pricy, and offers a lot of different stuff - pretty great.

But I recently bought a DS-1, for my Epiphone Special 2 Guitar, and thought "What the heck, why not?" and tried putting the pedal up with my bass. It gave a GREAT sound through my Fender Rumble, really dirty, yet, not completely messy, it was like a standard bass fuzz. I tried playing stuff like, Hysteria, and it did the job perfectly, compared to any of the several fuzz/distortion soloutions provided by my Zoom B2.1u.

I also tried having my DS-1 Hooked up with my B2.1u, and this was quite intresting, obviously it handled well on some settings, and badly on others, If you hadn't already guessed, I am a noob with gear, I just play this thing with four strings til a good noise comes out ^_^

Anyways, as the DS-1 handles okay, being a guitar pedal, can I expect the same performance from other guitar pedals? I've looked into Bass Stomp Boxes, Im going to try to slowly replace my Zoom B2.1u with a selection of foot pedals, they all give a lot better on sound than my Zoom seems to offer, to be hnest, when I first got into wanting to use effects, I was told that these 'stomp boxes' offered the best sound, I'm now feeling this is true,

So yeah, if any of you use FX Pedals/Stomps, for guitar, on a bass, let me know.

And also, has anyone used any of the Harley Benton pedals? Cheap as chips, but dont seem to sound all that great. I guess you get what you pay for!

Thanks all for reading.

SirPsycho the techno-nubble.
Schecter Stiletto Extreme 4 BCH
Stagg 5-String
Vintage 4-String MusicMan Copy
Riks 4-String Sunburst
Fender CD60 Acoustic Guitar
Epiphone Special 2 6-String Guitar

Fender Rumble 60 Watt

Boss ME-50B
Boss ODB-3
I record all my bass tracks for demo purposes through my guitar's pedalboard on the same Behringer V-Amp pro I use for my guitar tracks. I use a Fender Bassman model on the V-amp with either the V-Amp 4X12 or the 4X10.

On the board (the only pedals I use on bass)
EHX Poly Chorus
Behringer PH-9 Phaser
Zvex Fuzz Factory
CryBaby Wah
DOD FX-75 Stereo Flanger

The rest dont work well with bass (whammy, super shifter, delay).
My Current Mains
- 1996 Fender Jag-Stang with EMG Pickups
- 1998 Fender Jaguar with Cool Rails
- 1982 Hondo Paul Dean II (DiMarzio Super II X2)
- 2010 "Fender" Jazzmaster (Home built)
- 2013 Squier VM Bass VI (stock)
So it's like, 50/50?
Schecter Stiletto Extreme 4 BCH
Stagg 5-String
Vintage 4-String MusicMan Copy
Riks 4-String Sunburst
Fender CD60 Acoustic Guitar
Epiphone Special 2 6-String Guitar

Fender Rumble 60 Watt

Boss ME-50B
Boss ODB-3
i use a zoom efx mod for bass it was only like $150 and it has about 12 diffrent efx plus you can mix and match or make your own presets its pretty cool, it also has a volume/wah pedal attached. to each his own man its all about what you like and what sounds good to you music is music there are no rules....
Im gonna pistol whip the next guy that says shenanigans !!!!
They all work, you just need to try them to see if you like how they sound

EDIT: (to the guy above) Shenanigans!!!
Quote by UraniYum
Fuck you I'm trying to be caring and shit

Quote by Cb4rabid
Okay guys, I have a confession to make. Not really a confession since it's something that's been bugging me for awhile but I've always been in denial about it.

**** you gilly, it's not what you think
Quote by SirPsychoTheSex
So it's like, 50/50?

Pretty much. My overall bass sound was kind of lifted from Billy Squier's bass player off the Tale of the Tape Album, he had this awesome overdriven bass sound that was obviously a Precision Bass hitting the preamp of something vintage and apparently Tweed Fender hard....only difference is in my case it's not always a Precision style instrument.
My Current Mains
- 1996 Fender Jag-Stang with EMG Pickups
- 1998 Fender Jaguar with Cool Rails
- 1982 Hondo Paul Dean II (DiMarzio Super II X2)
- 2010 "Fender" Jazzmaster (Home built)
- 2013 Squier VM Bass VI (stock)
I use a DS-1 on my bass too. I didn't like it at first, but i've grown to appreciate the fuzz tone more. I've been shopping around for a chorus pedal lately, and i like some of the guitar choruses more than, say, the Boss Bass chorus which is designed for bass.
With guitar distortions and filters (inc. wahs) you want to be careful they don't remove too much low end. It may sound fine alone, but it a group situation, it will result in you dropping out the mix pretty quickly as you will just blend into the guitars.
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
Quote by gm jack
With guitar distortions and filters (inc. wahs) you want to be careful they don't remove too much low end. It may sound fine alone, but it a group situation, it will result in you dropping out the mix pretty quickly as you will just blend into the guitars.

having some sort of clean (bypass style clean I might add) blend however, will always cure this problem- provided you use a proportionate amount of clean dialed in
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom