Page 1 of 2
I started another build today. It's just going to be a cheap one (I plan on spending only around $60 on it) that I want to try and get finished over a week.

Specs:
Body Wood: Hoop Pine
Neck Wood: Tasmanian Oak
Fretboard: Tasmanian Oak (died dark brown)
Pickups: Humbucker and single coil cheap off ebay
Tuners: Cheap tuners off ebay
Bridge: Making it myself
Neck reinforcement: Steel rod with a heap of epoxy
Finish: Clear Satin Lacquer

Anyway, pics of what I've done so far:

The back before I cut it

Back after rough cut

Front after cut

Front 2

And the bridge parts (I've done more on it since the photo)
makeing the bridge? interesting... hope you make it less rough when your done

looks cool though
Quote by Scowmoo

You deserved this, Matt.
Yeah, the picture was taken just after I hack sawed out the aluminium before any filing and sanding.
well if all goes well, maybe you could make me a 8 string version... if i can find the materials to make the rest of it out of
Quote by Scowmoo

You deserved this, Matt.
Cool, hope all turns out well.
Gear: Warmoth Soloist / Hondo Acou. / Ibanez AS73

Hardwire TL-2 / Boss GE-7 / Electro Harmonix Small Stone Nano / Boss DD-3 / MXR Smart Gate / Ibanez TS9 / Unknown Tremolo

Bugera V55 / Home Made Cab w/ Celestion Speakers G12M & G12T
cool! I don't know what tuners you plan on using, and I don't know if you've already bought them, but I used these on my strat project and they're pretty awesome. Just to give you something to look at. Good luck with the rest of the build.
Gear:
1998 PRS CE 22-10 Top Natural Finish
MIM HSS Strat-Electron Blue
Vox AC4TV
Quote by ATLstang
cool! I don't know what tuners you plan on using, and I don't know if you've already bought them, but I used these on my strat project and they're pretty awesome. Just to give you something to look at. Good luck with the rest of the build.

He won't use them, Cam hates GFS with a passion.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Looks cool so far.
Perhaps you could update your other two builds as well. They were looking so cool.
Bari Build

_\_\ll/_/_
__\ _ /__
___ \/ ___

^this

looks good

but that LP build was sick.
R.I.P. Les Paul, 1915-2009
Quote by Shinozoku
You have a walnut stop sign banjo-tar signed by MAB

˙ןooɔ sı uosɐǝɹ ןɐǝɹ ou ɥʇıʍ ƃıs ɹnoʎ uı ʇxǝʇ uʍop ǝpısdn ƃuıʇʇnd
Quote by Scowmoo
You deserve an Awesome Award for Awesome People.
Seriously.

Stop Sign Guitar? HELL YES!
Thanks,
mini explorer just needs a final sand and then some clear coat, but I'm waiting for my dad to fix the compressor so that I can finish it. And the LP, I've got to steam out the bracing so that I can fit a pickup and electronics in. Then I've also got to order some radius blocks from LMII sometime after christmas (after i get some christmas money ) Plus I've been doing a fair bit of work on the bridge trying to lower it down so that action is not sky high.

But other than that there's not much else to do on the LP, I'll go take some pictures of where I'm at now with it and update the thread.
cool.... will there be a killswitch? haha

looks good though cam
Quote by Scowmoo

You deserved this, Matt.
Funny you said that, I was thinking I might add in another volume so there's a volume for each pickup so that I can use it as a killswitch.

But we'll see
Steel rods/ epoxy route:

I've rough shaped the neck today. I didn't want to finish it until I've got the fretboard thicknessed and glued on, which should be tomorrow.

And just this afternoon, I got the headstock wings glued on:
DUDE
Making your own bridge???
Commends*
I'm trying to make my own guitar now, i am currently looking for a nice 3D~ish wood, maple perhaps
ANYWHO, good luck, keep us well-updated

Edit:
Hey..wait a sec...you were on the chat...
lol, got a little crazy all up in there.yeah...
You just LOST the game >: P

After years of extensive research at Yale, it is determined that the game does not, in fact, exist.
chessman makes me confused.

however, looking good cam, i like the headstock, though i would have it reversed, but thats just me!
Quote by Scowmoo

You deserved this, Matt.
I'm pretty sure the headstock is a standard Jackson headstock. I bought a guitar neck a while ago and just made a template from its headstock.
Control Cavity routed:

Pot and switch holes:

Neck Pocket:

Control Cavity Cover:

I also got the headstock routed and tuner holes drilled, but it looks like I forgot to take photos of it.
The routing looks really clean. I hope I can get that down once I get a router.
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Is that neck to body fit gonna get worked on >_>

Other then that, good work, you're probably one of the faster builders.
Quote by divinorum69
Impressive how you work!

One question, what tools do you https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=22507384use for fret crowning?

Just some standard files, but I do need to buy a set of crowning files.

EDIT: ^ yeah, the end of the neck needs to be sanded flat so that it fits better.
Last edited by guitarcam123 at Dec 6, 2009,
Quote by guitarcam123
Just some standard files, but I do need to buy a set of crowning files.

EDIT: ^ yeah, the end of the neck needs to be sanded flat so that it fits better.

I hope that the FB will fit them? or, the scale will change.. or not? (yeah, I'm no builder(yet, I hope). But it's lookin' good!
Scale length will be fine. You can see in the neck pocket picture that the end of the neck is not perfectly flat, so I just need to sand a bit off. The fretboard hasn't been slotted and holes for the bridge haven't been drilled yet so I can still move things around to suit the scale length.
Just a bit more progress:
Belly Contour started:

Steel rods glued in, hasn't been scraped yet:

Headstock routed and tuner holes drilled:
Drilling the tunning keys freehand? Thats brave.

I watched my brother botch a neck thru build doing that.

Looks like the headstock has a small chip in it. bummer but I am sure you can fix it right up as it's still early on.

Mighty fine build so far!
There not that hard, just center punch, then 3-5mm guide hole then 10mm tuner hole.

And yeah, just a bit of CA glue and oak will fix the 'accident' from the router.
Hey cam did I miss something or did you glue steel rods in instead of a truss rod?? Either way, rad build so far!

Also, major respects on building your own bridge. What kinda tools have you/did you use to cut and shape it? You mentioned files and sandpaper; is that aluminum pretty easy to work with? How thick is it? I'm going to have to make my own bridge on an upcoming build and I'm starting to wonder how I might go about it...
Yeah, I just used a bunch of epoxy and steel rods.

The bridge is just 3mm thick aluminum, I rough cut the shape with a hacksaw and filed and sanded it to shape. The bit of scrap aluminum that I used was already bent up like that, but I have previously bent aluminum like that in a metal vice and a rubber mallet/ hammer. The 'saddles' are just 20mm long bits of 5mm Steel rod and the screws and springs are pickup height adjusting screws and springs.
It's looking great man.

I hope my first build goes as well as this. You seem to work fast without being sloppy. I still have a while until I can attempt though.
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Well got to work today using my new christmas presents

Planed down the oak for the fretboard and cut the fret slots.

Everything together with the fretboard taper rough cut:

yay!
any news on the homemade bridge?
Quote by Scowmoo

You deserved this, Matt.
Yeah, the screws that I have for it are a weird size, you need like a 2.75mm drill bit for the holes. I don't think they make 2.75mm drill bits, but either way I think I'll just buy a normal hard tail bridge, its only $20.
Page 1 of 2