I've recently made my dive into the as some would say "art" of home studio recording, over the last few months, gaining knowledge and experience of mixing and mastering, I've come to the point where my beginner setup just ain't gonna cut it anymore, line-in's and cracked editing software, with my own band soon to record our E.P at the start of the new year, I want to be able to cut back on expensive professional studio funds with the recording of guitars, from my experience, the harder the music, the more the band has to pay to get it sounded good with regards to playing the stuff without flaws, it still takes time.
I want to record all guitars at home, so it can be as close to perfect as possible and not rushed as it sometimes can be, and its noticeable, to a degree that it can ruin everything, and I'm not playing music for half a lifetime, so as much as it kills me to say, I do come under pressure, as does the amount of funds I have, so you can understand where I'm coming from.

But aside from that lifestory above lol I've came across a small equipment issue, or big depending how much a person knows I guess.

Firewire or Soundcard?

Or perhaps Both? Is it possible to work with both a fairly decent soundcard and a firewire audio interface? Or should sound cards even record at all?

In conjunction with firewire audio interfaces, is it possible to use a PCI card with 3 x firewire ports, rather than the more modern firewire ports on front and back as seen on MACpro's and other high spec machines (because my machine doesn't have stock built firewire ports) and actually get it to work? And for both the more wealthy and knowlegdable and the spoilt rich kids that are full of shit, I unfortunately can't afford a new system and at the same time don't want to get a new system, 2 Gigs of ram and 1TB + 500gig ex hard drive is okay for what I'm dealing with, but again, the audio interface is what is confusing me.

Anyone that can help please, I appreciate anything. Thanks in advance
Last edited by Exhume2Consume at Dec 1, 2009,
alright, well i can help you a little maybe? You can use both PCI and firewire at the same time. I'd recommend firewire though. Firewire for sure, although it can be harsh on your computer. I have a Digi protools 003 and the Digi24 mixer setup with a 3000 dollar dell XPS computer yet i still have issues with ram and memory needed but i would recomend an offboard sound device, not necessarily a Protools unit but anything connecting firewire is great, the least time delay you'll get.
Quote by conroy91
alright, well i can help you a little maybe? You can use both PCI and firewire at the same time. I'd recommend firewire though. Firewire for sure, although it can be harsh on your computer. I have a Digi protools 003 and the Digi24 mixer setup with a 3000 dollar dell XPS computer yet i still have issues with ram and memory needed but i would recomend an offboard sound device, not necessarily a Protools unit but anything connecting firewire is great, the least time delay you'll get.

So if I was to purchase a PCI card that houses firewire ports, and was to use that to run a I dunno for eg. a Pre-Sonus Firepod, is there a good chance it will work? Or is it only for computers that have stock firewire ports built in?

Quote by CatharsisStudio
i am making an epic list for you right now, whats your budget?

And I'm willing to spend €500-€750 on devices, sorry if you use a different currency, thats set for devices, I've another fund aside for mic's, etc etc.

the interface's are my biggest and well only confusion at the moment.
I'd say it would but im no expert on these things. My Firewire is built in on the XPS cause it was designed to work well with protools but im prettysure the Firepod would work with it, but since its PCI your lattency may be a little higher than a standalone. I haven't personally used the firepod yet so i'd look a little more into it, theres gotta be a firepod forum somewhere on here?
Sorry im near useless
I want to record all guitars at home, so it can be as close to perfect as possible and not rushed as it sometimes can be, and its noticeable, to a degree that it can ruin everything, and I'm not playing music for half a lifetime, so as much as it kills me to say, I do come under pressure, as does the amount I have, so you can understand where I'm coming from.
Firewire or Soundcard?

Soundcard with ADAT lightpipes if you're going to feed your PC more than 8 inputs at the same time.

Otherwise, Firewire or USB.

Eventually, install additional Firewire PCI interfaces to connect more external sound interfaces, IF the OS allows you to work with several interfaces at the same time.

Finally, one last trick...

I like pluggin a guitar in a lexicon mpx-110. You can get them for $50 on ebay and they have a superb converter and optical S/PDIF output, pluggin that output in any decent PCI soundcard with an optical S/PDIF connector.
Last edited by ColdGin at Dec 1, 2009,
ADAT is a bit beyond what i'm even remotely familiar with

I've have mixed opinions about Firewire in contrast to S/PDIF
S/PDIF would be option to go for if I was to use a sound card and external interface, am I right?
ADAT lightpipe is digital just like S/Pdif but better, it gives you 8 channels.

Check this out, for your microphone inputs, this converts to ADAT Lightpipe:

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/DigiMaxD8/

Then from that you can go into this digital pci card:

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/HDSP9632/

Look for other products similar to those for comparison.

But imho, u should probably get firewire installed on you're computer, and just get a firewire interface, like the presonus firestudio, or somthing like that.

I think the PCI card type deal wont be as flexible.
How would I get Firewire installed rather than the PCI route?
If we wish to make a new world we have sufficient material at the ready. The first one, too, was made out of chaos

~Robert Quillen~
Just buy a firewire pci card, and install it. I have never done that, zero experience with it. But just google firewire pci cards, I did, theres a whole bunch of options for it.
I know, I've considered it.

I thought you meant installed as in, have firewire ports built onto the motherboard, and function the same as say, stock USB ports. My misunderstanding.

I came across one on musicstore for €15, would something that cheap be an advised buy or is it a case of, cheap - beware. I'm not to familiar with them so excuse my q's. But money spent, needs to well spent.
If we wish to make a new world we have sufficient material at the ready. The first one, too, was made out of chaos

~Robert Quillen~
Sweet, thanks for helping

~Robert Quillen~
Can someone give me an opinion on which would be the better way to go
Please

~Robert Quillen~