I am 16, full time student and I am working at Debenhams for a christmas temporary job. I am working 10 hours a week at £4.83 per hour, so £48.30 per week. I have been paid recently but I have been taxed. Is this wrong? Can I do anything about this? Also, I am from England.
Check your payslip to see if you have the correct 647L tax code and also check to see if it says your on BASIC or Non Cumulative, because you shouldn't be being taxed yet
Quote by freighttrain
Check your payslip to see if you have the correct 647L tax code and also check to see if it says your on BASIC or Non Cumulative, because you shouldn't be being taxed yet

Ok thanks. I will post it in this thread when I get home from college.
Sounds like BS to me, i'd see your line manager about it rather than the pit but i'm fairly certain you shouldn't get taxed at all till you are over 18.. especialy considering the little hours per week you're working and the fact that you're a student... but i could be wrong and the laws are different in Scotland and England.
Originally Posted by Chromeproguitar
they make horrible noises in the middle of the night (is it sex?)

Quote by CliffIsAngry
I guess she's pretty hot if you're into that "having a good music video, but not better than Beyonce's" kind of thing...
Quote by alkalineweeman
Sounds like BS to me, i'd see your line manager about it rather than the pit but i'm fairly certain you shouldn't get taxed at all till you are over 18.. especialy considering the little hours per week you're working and the fact that you're a student... but i could be wrong and the laws are different in Scotland and England.

The administrator at work says to call the number on the bottom of my payslip ASAP. If I get my tax back, will it be in April or sooner?
might be emergency tax mate but u should get it all back eventually after like a month or so
If you've only started in the job then you're probably on an emergency tax code. This isn't uncommon so don't worry. Sit tight till it's corrected and enjoy the rebate when it comes.
I've got something in my front pocket for you.
Why don't you reach down in my pocket and see what it is?
Then grab onto it, it's just for you.
Give a little squeeze and say: "How do you do?"
I really couldn't tell ya mate i've never had such a problem, good luck with it though and don't let them screw ya.
Originally Posted by Chromeproguitar
they make horrible noises in the middle of the night (is it sex?)

Quote by CliffIsAngry
I guess she's pretty hot if you're into that "having a good music video, but not better than Beyonce's" kind of thing...
Quote by jhmmetrules
might be emergency tax mate but u should get it all back eventually after like a month or so

Yes someone mentioned this at work. Thanks for that. I forgot about it. What does it mean?
Also, I have just been given a load of booklets to fill out my details in so I'm guessing I will be put on emergency tax till I send these back.
basically when u start a new job you get taxed for no reason but after a while you will get all your money back and your pay check will look mighty good for that week :P
Quote by jamesfarr
Yes someone mentioned this at work. Thanks for that. I forgot about it. What does it mean?

my simple understanding of it is that when you start a job the tax office hasn't told your employer what tax code you should be on so they cover all their bases so they don't lose out and tax you a stupid amount...obviously when your emplyer gets a code for you it all evens out... but expect to wait a couple of months.
[
You don't get emergency tax back until april. Just get on the right tax code.

Oh and welcome to the world; all employment is taxed.
I just contacted the tax office and I have changed my tax code and I will get the money back on my next pay day. She also said I don't need to send off my P46 now which has confused me.
Quote by jamesfarr
I just contacted the tax office and I have changed my tax code and I will get the money back on my next pay day. She also said I don't need to send off my P46 now which has confused me.

You don't need to be. It'll be sorted out in your next pay slip.

Suprisingly accurate advice from the Pit, for a change . Apart from that bit about being 18 to pay income tax. If you are working - legally - you have an annual personal allowance of £6,475. If you earn above that you get taxed at 20%. Anything over £34,600 is taxed at 40%.

There are a whole load of reliefs and other rates for various types of income, but I doubt that will apply in this case.
Quote by cagnius
You don't need to be. It'll be sorted out in your next pay slip.

Suprisingly accurate advice from the Pit, for a change . Apart from that bit about being 18 to pay income tax. If you are working - legally - you have an annual personal allowance of £6,475. If you earn above that you get taxed at 20%. Anything over £34,600 is taxed at 40%.

There are a whole load of reliefs and other rates for various types of income, but I doubt that will apply in this case.

Ok thanks for the advice. And when you said 'You don't need to be. It'll be sorted out in your next pay slip', do you mean I don't have to send off my P46?
Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
You don't get emergency tax back until april. Just get on the right tax code.

Oh and welcome to the world; all employment is taxed.

Cash in hand bloody well isn't