Hello, I've heard alot about these sonic maximizer things, can someone tell me what they're like? some people say it makes it sound digital and stuff, but then bands like parkway drive use em .. or did? im not sure if they still do, anyway there tone is AMAZING
Gear List:
Guitars:
Schecter C7 Hellraiser
Jackson JS20 Dinky
Ibanez MTM1 (Slipknot Signature)
Amps:
Peavey 6505+ Head (with Grill Mod)
Cab and Effects:
Orange PPC412(BLK)
Boss NS-2 Noise Supressor
I owned a DJ company and all of my systems had Sonic Maximizers in them. It REALLY improved the sound GREATLY. It sounded like you were taking a blanket off of the speakers when you'd turn it on.

I've never used one for guitar though.
Quote by Vikingx
I owned a DJ company and all of my systems had Sonic Maximizers in them. It REALLY improved the sound GREATLY. It sounded like you were taking a blanket off of the speakers when you'd turn it on.

I've never used one for guitar though.

yeah i was looking at the sonic stomp more specifically, sorry should've specified, but still thanks
Gear List:
Guitars:
Schecter C7 Hellraiser
Jackson JS20 Dinky
Amps:
Cab and Effects:
Orange PPC412(BLK)
Basically it makes your guitar cut through the mix better. There's a dial on it though, and turning it up too far makes it sound digital. Also, they're pretty much worthless if more than one guy in the band uses it.

They were originally rackmount units, meant for recording or DJs. That is probably how they should be used.
Quote by jamesy_pwd
yeah i was looking at the sonic stomp more specifically, sorry should've specified, but still thanks

It's the same thing (for the most part). I currently use the BBE Sonic Max VST Plugin with my recording software for mastering... it works wonders also.
Quote by TubeAmp89
idk the samples sound too sc00p3d for my tastes

hmm, the 6505 is pretty middy though, so could that sorta balance it out?
Gear List:
Guitars:
Schecter C7 Hellraiser
Jackson JS20 Dinky
Amps:
Cab and Effects:
Orange PPC412(BLK)
will make a good amp sound digital! or processed get a mxr 10, same thing but better tone!
tone slut

Mesa Boogie Mini Rectifier
jet City 2112 Combo
Gibson SG Standard
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Fender Classic Vibe Telecaster
Last edited by ksmc at Nov 30, 2009,
If you feel your amp is lacking presence/sparkle, try a new speaker or some new tubes to permanently improve your tone, rather than 'enhancing' it with an overly bright pedal.

Every time I've heard the Sonic Maximiser used with a guitar amp, it makes the tone ludicrously bright and shrill. A handy tool in a recording environment, but horrible in a live mix.
This gets brought up frequently.

An equalizer is ALWAYS a better option. The SM's basically just add a lot of presence.
Its very hit and miss for guitars.
For me its midway-ish for each situation ive used my sonic stomp in.
I got it for 25 quid so its not like i really want to find a way to use it, if i cba then i wont.

I hear its brilliant in the fx loop of amps like the line 6 vetta, the B-52s and various other cheaper tube amps. Thats just what ive heard though, only way to find out is if you get one.

I suggest dont get it unless you really find a good deal, that way its no big deal if it sucks.
The only time I've ever used one was the rackmount version running through a Triple Rec->Mesa 212 + Orange 412. It sounded terrific, but the Triple Rec sounded fine on its own. Never owned one.
I use a sonic stomp in the effects loop of my HRD 4x10 amp. Personally I like it... especially if I am using my Fulltone OCD with lots of gain. However, if mine were lost or stolen, I am not sure I'd replace it.

I got mine used for 60 bucks so it was a good deal.
- Anthony
PRS: PS P22, ME II 25th, SC HB I, Custom 22, McCarty 20th, SE Custom 24 7, Angulus SE
Fender Am Tele, Am Strat, 70 RI Strat, Esquire Scorpion
LTD: SC-607B

Amp
Avid 11R
Quote by ksmc
will make a good amp sound digital! or processed get a mxr 10, same thing but better tone!

Lol digital.

http://www.radio-flier.com/PDF%20Files/BBE%20482i.pdf

Or maybe not. I don't see any DSPs in there, what about you?

Analog gear can't make you sound 'digital'.

Also, the Sonic Stomp isn't an EQ, it's a 'phase corrector'.

I usually run mine after my POD, and I've noticed it makes a huge improvement to some models, no difference to others and makes others sound harsh.
No gods, no countries, no masters.
More guitar, less Ultimate-Guitar.
Be Serious.
Shorties represent!
Ibanez SZ520/Ibanez ORM-1/Ibanez RG7321/Pocket POD/Crate GX/Boss HM-2
Last edited by STABxYOU at Nov 30, 2009,
I have one. I was playing with it and without it this weekend. It does add some presence (some that I feel I need since my amp doesn't have a presence knob) and may not be for everyone. It just like any other pedal out there, try it and if you like it, get it.
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
Quote by unet
Might as well call it the Placebo Pedal.

No if it didn't do anything don't you think you'd notice the second you turned it on?

I've heard good results from BBEs with rectos, and some people with some amps swear by them, but a lot of the time I feel they're unnecessary and/or detrimental.
-Mike
I use a Sonic Stomp in the effects loop of my Blackstar HT-5. I felt the amp needed more cut, punch and clarity and this pedal gave me that.
MARSHALL JVM 210H
PEAVEY JSX
KRANK 412
MESA 412
FENDER STRATS
DIMARZIO
CELESTION
I recently picked one up for $25 off CL. I like it. It brightens up the sound. But I noticed that if you stand directly in front of the amp or mic it then it sounds too harsh. I haven't played with it that much but IMO it was worth $25.