Ive been playing nonstop for about 6 years and I've had probably over 10 guitar teachers since I started....the reason is that I keep switching because I felt like all of them taught really different from each other and from how I think the guitar should be played...
Over the years I've developed my own way to work the fretboard, to use techniques ..etc etc

I know it's a very personal instrument...

so...wondering what your opinion is ! ?

Also...I was wonder did people like SRV or Hendrix etc etc have guitar lessons and stuff??
27mMoV31II7.a2
no.
1. You're surfing the internet.
2. You're browsing through the UG forums.
3. You're reading now.
5. You didn't notice that there was no #4.
6. You just checked it.
7. Now you're having a lil smile.

Quote by hawk_kst
You Sir, have the best signature like ever!
I think you should take lessons when you begin but in your case, as you have played for 6 years already you don't necessarily need a guitar teacher
Quote by Zero-Hartman
I just Google "Elephant penis", and was strangely aroused.

Apparently, I'm a good shitter

Quote by TomusAM
jonne.i just took the best dump I ever seen
Nope, but it helps a lot.

They'll teach you things theory, how to "play", their past experience and etc etc.
I see you're not using the UG black theme

Originally posted by GOD
akm_202, i now announce you, king of awesome. You may bow down to me.
no, it isnt necesary, altough i figure it can be wery usefull. I bet my playing would be 200% better than it is now if i had a teacher.
Joža je kul. On ma sirove z dodatki pa hambije.
You should just play with as many different musicians as possible. That's much more rewarding than having a teacher.
Maybe to learn theory, scales and stuff. I've managed to get by without a teacher, OK so I've only been playing for one year but I can hold my own. If I have technique issues I just look for lessons on UG.
🙈 🙉 🙊
No, apparently neither is a searchbar cause no one ever uses it, there was a thread like this less than a week ago.

From what I think all a teacher does is help you learn quicker instead of doing stuff on your own. The people who are good/famous who didn't have teachers normally say things like "Yeah, I used to practice for about 14 hours a day" In essence, you will be putting in ALOT more work.
Teachers are for people who cant take matters into their own hands. Playing guitar is something you learn on your own, teachers are just there to guide you in the right direction if you cannot yourself. But then again, thats my oppinon.
"Rational arguments don't usually work on religious people.. Otherwise, there would be no religious people."
Quote by vampt
Teachers are for people who cant take matters into their own hands. Playing guitar is something you learn on your own, teachers are just there to guide you in the right direction if you cannot yourself. But then again, thats my oppinon.

This guy knows nothing, don't listen to him.

I played for 3/4 years without having a teacher, then I started taking weekly half hour lessons, basically just to get a second opinion on my technique, how I did things, etc. Even though it only lasted about 7 lessons, the extra input did have a positive effect.
Quote by Kyle.E
This guy knows nothing, don't listen to him.

I played for 3/4 years without having a teacher, then I started taking weekly half hour lessons, basically just to get a second opinion on my technique, how I did things, etc. Even though it only lasted about 7 lessons, the extra input did have a positive effect.

Really, you did notice the ´But thats MY OPINION´ right? I don´t care if you have another opinion but don´t got saying he knows nothing, that´s just silly.

Anyway, i had a teacher for 6 months and he taught me stuff i already knew ao i quit, been playing for the past 4 years without teacher and i do not suck. But then again it depends on how seriously you take and if you want to be the Ash Ketchum of guitar playing.
Quote by Holy Katana
Your last job only paid you $7.00 AUD an hour? That's like $6.05 in the US. What the hell is the minimum wage over there?

Quote by titsmcgee852
$0 for volunteer work

ollollolollol

^
Quote by Antimage27
Ive been playing nonstop for about 6 years and I've had probably over 10 guitar teachers since I started....the reason is that I keep switching because I felt like all of them taught really different from each other and from how I think the guitar should be played...
Over the years I've developed my own way to work the fretboard, to use techniques ..etc etc

I know it's a very personal instrument...

so...wondering what your opinion is ! ?

Also...I was wonder did people like SRV or Hendrix etc etc have guitar lessons and stuff??

It's not necessary, but it does help. They can teach you how to do certain things easier that you might've have taken longer to figure out on your own, along with you avoiding and going past mistakes they made when they were learning.

I'm not real sure with SRV, but Hendrix did "learn", as I use that term loosely, from BB King and the like. Yes, he jammed with them, but if he liked certain things they did that he couldn't do, he begged them to show him how, which I would go as far to say that he had a teacher. Just not in the formal sense. He even went through a period of time before touring with Little Richard and going to England where he imitated BB King's style.

Quote by vampt

I wouldn't say that. You can look at the classical players such as Chopin and Bach and they all had teachers. Teachers are not there to guide players who can't learn on their own, they are there to guide players and help them learn to play the instrument without having to go through the mistakes you would make without a teacher.

I've had a guitar teacher for a while now. I lucked out with mine and actually have a superb teacher who plays everything from country, to jazz, to blues, to fusion, to metal/rock. Every time I show up, if he doesn't have something to add to a previous lesson, he asks me what I want to learn. Whether it be technique, theory, a certain genre, etc. Would I recommend a teacher? Yes, but I would look for one that is more balanced and can play more genres decently, than a teacher who can play one genre better than the others.