Planning on getting my ten year old his first guitar.

I really like the local music store and they have been very informative and he will be taking lessons there. For an intro first guitar he suggested a basic strat knock off made by austin. Basically your hundred dollar strat but i do get to lay hands on it and the necks feel pretty nice, (actually the frets feel better than a used epi lp he has) and if there was any problems he'd help me or make it right. So i feel really comfortable with that decision.

But here's where my questions come in.

Should i get him a vypyr 15 and a tascam trainer? or maybe a line 6 pod?

i think the real amp will help keep him excited and motivated even if he really doesn't need it?

but i would like for him to have either a trainer (which is all he has ever played through before) or a pod? would make it easier to practice at his mom's etc

background on him: he is totally new except for basically one afternoon messing with my on uncle with a guitar trainer, but he his really smart and excels at most things that interest him (wins uil music memorization contest) interested in playing metal/rock/punk etc . . . but for instance on gallows cd he skips to the symphony parts then plays the song

just looking for feedback for a new young player as to what combination of amp trainer etc is gonna help him the best

thanks,
ryan
i think the vypyr would be nice. it's only 15 watts. it ain't gonna be too loud, so him playin at the mother's house won't be a problem. it'll also keep him interested with the many different effects and settings.
Quote by pedromiles101
you're not gonna want to take a dump in a gross, off-colored, vintage toilet. you want something that is white and pearly; something that shines. something that you can put your cheeks against and say, "f*** yeah"
A Vypyr 15 and a Squier Classic Vibe Strat would probably do him well.

Yeah, I know that the CV series is around $300, but to be honest they're damned nice for what you pay.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by subzero364
the Vypyr is one of the best starter amps, very good tone for the price

The upper wattage models (60 Tube/75 and up) are decently gig-worthy, too
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
my fault for not being clear -- i really don't want him having to haul it over there nor do i really trust her with taking care of the amp . . .

so if i get the vypyr it'll stay at my house . . .

so for when he is over there it'll have to be something small enough i can throw it in his back pack . . . hence comparing the pod and the tascom trainer, kinda a either or . . .

unless the consensus is that one of them really renders a small practice amp like the vypyr obsolete . . . for a beginning ten year old would he be happy playing through the pod vs playing through the vypyr . . .

basically budget is going to limit me to getting two out of three trying to figure out most effective way what is gonna help him the most . . .

i'm leaning towards the vypyr and the trainer just wasn't sure that there wasn't a better product or combination of that might be better suited in this same budget . . .

thanks again
damn you guys are fast , thanks for those replys . . .
as for shopping other guitars -- i started out looking at the gift packs and then decided to buy separate components, then i started looking . . . blah . . . this has already been a slippery slope . And i feel comfortable with the choice i made on it. i do realize for only x amount more i could get better, but like i said that is a never ending proposition . . .
The Tascam trainer with a power supply sounds like a pretty good and portable choice. I love the looping option for learning a specific part of a song. While the pod has great amp modelling capabilities, there is probably more utility in using the Tascam effects and learning features.

Obviously he'll need headphones too.
Have you made a decision on which guitar to get? If not I'd recommend a low end ibanez as they are perfect for metal/punk/rock... etc. also they are known for their slim neck profiles allowing faster playing.

If this is out of your budget maybe try second hand? I doubt a ten year old would notice/be bothered as long as there is no major cosmetic damage.

As for the vypr, it's a good pick as it's got a large functionallity as well as a built in tuner.
Personally I'd vouch for a Roland Cube of some sort over a Vypyr. The latter can confuse me at times, so I'm fairly confident it'll confuse a beginner too. As or the guitar, personally I'd save a little and get him one of the Squier Classic Vibe guitars, those'll last him a good few years and stay in tune without burning your wallet to pieces.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 73-78
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 2-0
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 24-7
TS, you say the vypyr will be too much to carry? it really isn't. it's really small and really light. even a 5 year old could probably carry it around. and it'll be his stuff. tell your kid to tell his mom not to touch any of his gear cause it's his. lol, sounds mean, but its necessary.
Quote by pedromiles101
you're not gonna want to take a dump in a gross, off-colored, vintage toilet. you want something that is white and pearly; something that shines. something that you can put your cheeks against and say, "f*** yeah"
Quote by randomhero93
TS, you say the vypyr will be too much to carry? it really isn't. it's really small and really light. even a 5 year old could probably carry it around. and it'll be his stuff. tell your kid to tell his mom not to touch any of his gear cause it's his. lol, sounds mean, but its necessary.

I agree that they are moveable for a 10 year old but maybe not a 5 year old :P . Plus money not spent on a pod device could be put towards the guitar.
Quote by mikey_360
I agree that they are moveable for a 10 year old but maybe not a 5 year old :P . Plus money not spent on a pod device could be put towards the guitar.

well, a jacked 5 year old. lol. you know what i mean though.
Quote by pedromiles101
Nalakram -- thanks that was exactly what i was looking for and what i'll probably do . . .

as regards to other guitar choices -- i feel comfortable throwing a bone to the local store, been in there multiple times and the owner as well as the help are all very courteous, don't seem bothered by my questions, walked me through putting in a new nut on a guitar a customer brought in, etc . . . in short i believe in supporting mom and pop operations as well as need to establish a relationship with local people who know what they are doing because i don't . . . the owner has enough faith in these austin strats that his son started on one . . . no ill meant towards rondo or any other online source but sometimes its good to have an actual real life person in front of you backing the product you purchased . . . and not to mention the only painted black lp rondo has in stock has gold hardware which doesn't appeal to my or my son's hot rod black aesthetic . . . thanks never expected this much feedback . . .
Quote by irsmart1
Nalakram -- thanks that was exactly what i was looking for and what i'll probably do . . .

as regards to other guitar choices -- i feel comfortable throwing a bone to the local store, been in there multiple times and the owner as well as the help are all very courteous, don't seem bothered by my questions, walked me through putting in a new nut on a guitar a customer brought in, etc . . . in short i believe in supporting mom and pop operations as well as need to establish a relationship with local people who know what they are doing because i don't . . . the owner has enough faith in these austin strats that his son started on one . . . no ill meant towards rondo or any other online source but sometimes its good to have an actual real life person in front of you backing the product you purchased . . . and not to mention the only painted black lp rondo has in stock has gold hardware which doesn't appeal to my or my son's hot rod black aesthetic . . . thanks never expected this much feedback . . .

We live to please (except for when we start bickering). I'll second the vypyr suggestion, as I have a Cube, and honestly didn't like the 15 watt (which is the comparatively priced model from Roland).

Generic advice: Get a combo, with the speaker already inside the amp *Dunno if you know about head/cab or combos, since I don't know how much you've personally checked that kinda stuff*. A combo will be less likely to break, since it's less things he can spill drinks on/drop =P

Edit: Then again, if you want to piss off the mother (You mentioned that you didn't feel it'd be good for the amp to go to her, where she might touch it or otherwise affect it) you could always get him a violin Or Drums
Gear
---------
JS20S Satriani signature
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Gibson SG Classic
Randall RM100 Combo w/ Plexi, JTM, Ultra, Recto, and Brown Modules
Last edited by Phantom123 at Nov 30, 2009,
You can't beat a vypyr for a good starter practice amp. I also love the cube's smaller amp (cant remember the wattage but it's the one that's the same price as the vypyr 15 watt.) Vypyr is better for rock and metal though in my opinion.

Your kid could get a good ways on that beginner strat, especially if your store will set it up and check it out for you. That always makes a 100 dollar guitar play better.
seriously most forums shun these newbie type questions so i normally just lurk, but ya'll have gone above and beyond!

ordering vypyr now, as it seems a consensus well suited choice! thanks!

prolly getting the guitar one day this week and yes he will set it up for me, also said he'd help me put on black engine turned pick guard and walk me through some basic stuff . . . (yes i know silly putting a $50 pick guard on a $100 guitar but we always modify everything-- it's a disease)

i'll talk to the guy doing the lessons and the other guys at the store bout the tascam but i'll hold off for now . . . maybe that can be a reward after he learns a song or something down the line . . . for now we'll shuttle the vypyr back and forth!

Thanks again! We really didn't need another hobby but i know he is going to love this!!! O and i might be a little excited too!!!