Page 1 of 2
Hi

If Boss Pedals are so bad, why do so many pros use them?

E.g. John Frusciante uses a DS-2, but he's known for having great tone.

Why??
Because lots of people here are bandwagoners.

And Froosh has like, 32985368 pedals on his board, and a very nice amp. A lot of pedals sound better into better amps, and lots of people here probably play BOSS pedals through MGs or something. I know that in Australian music stores, most of them plug a whole chain full of BOSS pedals into a Micro-Cube with headphones, sounds dreadful.

I personally think that while some of their pedals aren't great, they do make some quality stuff. And they're built like tanks.
Because they can be found in nearly every music store while one is on the road. They are inexpensive and rugged and do in fact sound decent. Try finding that uber boutique fuzz that you "need" for "your sound" when you are on a tour stop in the middle of Georgia.....good luck buddy
╠═══════╬═══════╣

Tap Tempo Tap Dancer of τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

MINION of the"I drive a stick cause I'm better than you!!" Club

PM TehNez or IbanezPlayer27 to join.

EHX Users Guild. Bugera Users Militia
The MXR Lounge
1)Relatively inexpensive-mass produced stuff is usually cheaper than handbuilt b00t33k stuff
2)Very well built-you need som degree of toughness, right?
3)Easily moddable-the pros use MODDED boss pedals, not stock ones-and the modded pedals sound very nice.

See dude, not everyone is a bandwagoner...mpst people here will have the same thing to say.
pros mostly use the effects from boss not the distortions. even if they do, they mod it. like joe satriani uses a boss ds-1 but it is modified so it sounds better.
Guitars
Fender American Standard Strat 2008
Burny late 1980's Super Grade RLG-70 Les Paul
Sterling by Musicman JP50
Fender Classic Series 60's tele
Yamaha FS720S
Amp
Roland Microcube
Fender Blues Junior III Humholdt
Not all Boss pedals are bad. You see pros using things like the DD3, DD7, TR2 and TU2, an awful lot. The newer modulations are fairly shitty though. Their digital delays are quality for those unwilling to spend more on the likes of Eventide. Their ODs are ok, but nothing amazing. The new distortions are unuseable fizz boxes, aimed at beginners looking for "a brootal metal fx pedal".

Much of the older Boss stuff and the MIJ stuff is fantastic and highly sought after, things such as the CS2, HM2, and RV3.
I hope their not too bad cuz i just ordered a boss RC-50 loop station, which cost a pretty penny.....
your a wreck, an accident, forget the freak your just nature, keep the gun oiled and the temple clean, shit snort and blaspheme, let the heads cool and the engine run, because in the end everything we do is just everything we've done.
-corey taylor
Boss HM-2
Boss FZ-2
Boss DM-2
Boss PH-2
Boss PS-3
Boss RV-3

The only reason Boss sucks is because they discontinued all those pedals.

And introduced the world to the metalzone.

I imagine it would be a lot easier to stomach the tone from a DS-2 if you were using it to goose 700 watts worth of pissed-off vintage Marshalls.

Besides, john's live playing is all about texture. It doesn't necessarily sound good all the time, but it always sounds "right." I know that's just one example, but for a lot of pros I imagine boss stuff is good enough. They also might be getting paid to use them.
Their old pedals are amazing.

John's distorted tone isn't THAT great, I wonder why he doesn't use one of his Silver Jubilees for overdrive.

And he uses an older Jap DS-2, which sound a lot nicer than the new Taiwanese ones.
Quote by jxljxl
Fais wins at life

The obscenely young leader of the Laney Cult

Member of the EHX Guild
Last edited by rhcp_freak at Nov 30, 2009,
All of these people have it totally right.

In addition, when people say oh no don't get a BOSS, the person in question usually has no prior effects pedal experience, and is planning to run newer BOSS effects through a modeling amp, which does not sound good. Also the buffer on BOSS pedals is sub-par.
Quote by imicius
All of these people have it totally right.

In addition, when people say oh no don't get a BOSS, the person in question usually has no prior effects pedal experience, and is planning to run newer BOSS effects through a modeling amp, which does not sound good. Also the buffer on BOSS pedals is sub-par.

By "modeling amp" you mean Spider III/IV right?
^That or they play the br00tls with an mt-2 and a cranked mg lol.
Agile AL3000
Douglas WRL90
SX SR1 STD Plus
J&D Strat
Squier Tele
Sammick TR2
Douglas Draco
Peavey JSX
Bugera V5
TWANGED VJ
Quote by unet
By "modeling amp" you mean Spider III/IV right?

Well yes, that is normally the case, but I imagine that BOSS effects would not sound good through a Vypyr or Cube, or, for that matter a Vetta. I just don't like to point out that the Spider series is not very good in every post that concerns a modeling amp.
Quote by imicius
Well yes, that is normally the case, but I imagine that BOSS effects would not sound good through a Vypyr or Cube, or, for that matter a Vetta. I just don't like to point out that the Spider series is not very good in every post that concerns a modeling amp.

Hmm....redundancy.
I see your point. I get what you're saying. I know what you're talking about.

Fuzzes sound good enough through some modeling amps.
It's mostly because most people on UG don't have that good an amp. Even though I didn't settle on it for my main distortion I used a Boss DS-1 through a silverface Fender Bassman in the studio when I was playing through a couple of pedals and it sounded really nice and I use a TU-2 and CH-1 in my live AND recording rigs. I like them...
Quote by unet
Hmm....redundancy.
I see your point. I get what you're saying. I know what you're talking about.

Fuzzes sound good enough through some modeling amps.

Ya meeeean?

Fuzzes are designed to sound 'bad' :p
Quote by Bloodshed
Because they can be found in nearly every music store while one is on the road. They are inexpensive and rugged and do in fact sound decent. Try finding that uber boutique fuzz that you "need" for "your sound" when you are on a tour stop in the middle of Georgia.....good luck buddy

exactly.

i don't really like boss pedals, but then i can afford not to- i don't gig, so if something breaks it's not the end of the world.

also endorsements, probably.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Boss do have some decent pedals but they also have some bad pedals, most of the reason that I don't buy boss pedals is because I want to be different.
Quote by Kensai
You'll find whisky very different, but try it and you'll grow into it, soon you and whisky are one, but still two, lovers dancing across a frozen lake under moonlight, wrapped in honey and warmth.

Sums up whisky perfectly
i hate the buffers in them, they're horrible. the instant they're in your change to can tell you've lost something.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
they are solid. pros use them because they know that even if they dont sound perfect, the pedal will always work and sound consistent.
Originally posted by primusfan
When you crank up the gain to 10 and switch to the lead channel, it actually sounds like you are unjustifiably bombing an innocent foreign land.

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
Fruciante uses a MIJ boss BTW.

First,Boss (in my eyes) make the best delay that you can really get (DD-3).

The only reason i'm not too much of a boss fan is that Dave Navarrow is their endorser
My Gig Rig...

Fender Straocaster or Gibson Les Paul Slash Special -->Lovepedal Amp 50 --> Boss DD-3 --> Crybaby(soon to be Wh10 reissue) --> Big Muff PI --> Boss DS-2 --> Marshall JCM 900
Quote by nightraven
besides, john frusciante has terrible taste in gear

he has what... eight moog lpfs on his board?

Yeah but listen to his live performances of Don't forget me :P
My Gig Rig...

Fender Straocaster or Gibson Les Paul Slash Special -->Lovepedal Amp 50 --> Boss DD-3 --> Crybaby(soon to be Wh10 reissue) --> Big Muff PI --> Boss DS-2 --> Marshall JCM 900
Quote by imicius
...but I imagine that BOSS effects would not sound good through ... a Vetta...

I imagine Trent Reznor would beg to differ.
No gods, no countries, no masters.
More guitar, less Ultimate-Guitar.
Be Serious.
Shorties represent!
Ibanez SZ520/Ibanez ORM-1/Ibanez RG7321/Pocket POD/Crate GX/Boss HM-2
SD-1 + JCM800 = GAWD.

and, no. i am not just a Zakk fanboy. he just happened to find the same combination i did.

to answer your question, Boss' pedals are used by pros because they like the sound they make. most people who bash Boss by saying "0H! U can g3t an 3v3ntide for uh little mauh Mon3y$$$!" are pissant bandwagoners who piddle all day long on their Vypyrs and claim to know 'great tone'.

They're a great company because they made effects affordable. their delays are revolutionary because when they first came out, people were amazed hat they could fit a peice of rack-quality equipment into a box.

and they're tough as nails.
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
Leave it on the press, Depress Depress Taboot Taboot.
Quote by Jhachey22
SD-1 + JCM800 = GAWD.

I always wonder how people say this... Is the JCM800 bassy enough to cancel out the lack of low end on the SD-1? I used my SD-1 with my Windsor, which as you know is supposed to be very close to an 800, and it was so shrill and harsh I couldn't stand it. The SD-1 wasn't much better on my V33, VJ, or Bassman either, though admittedly those amps aren't exactly voiced for it.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Quote by tubetime86
I always wonder how people say this... Is the JCM800 bassy enough to cancel out the lack of low end on the SD-1? I used my SD-1 with my Windsor, which as you know is supposed to be very close to an 800, and it was so shrill and harsh I couldn't stand it. The SD-1 wasn't much better on my V33, VJ, or Bassman either, though admittedly those amps aren't exactly voiced for it.

i think it's the bassyness that makes it sounds half decent. i know that most boss pedals sounds like sh*t through bright amps, especially ODs/Distortions.
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
also you assume pro's have good taste in tone? or even understand their gear
a lot of the time they buy it because it's well known and havn't got anything to compare it to
(i'm not saying this applies to all pro's and im agreeing with all the other reasons too just an extra opinion)
Gear
Ibanez SAS32EXFM White
Epiphone SG G400 White
Line 6 Flextone III+
Line 6 Spider III 120 (for sale £90)
Quote by Jhachey22
i think it's the bassyness that makes it sounds half decent. i know that most boss pedals sounds like sh*t through bright amps, especially ODs/Distortions.

Ya the SD-1 and Bassman was a ... Sounded awful. Though I will admit it wasn't until just before I sold the SD-1 that I realized its drive was actually pretty good, it just had the same bass cut that I hated.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Because Boss can afford to endorse a lot of artists?
I bet most of them are modded though. Slash uses a GE-7 and that must be modded to get rid of the noise and so on and so forth.
LesPaul
Pedals
OrangeRocker30
My band
PBT Native: Resident Graphics Monkey

Quote by tubetime86

Roll back the tone knob on the SD-1.
╠═══════╬═══════╣

Tap Tempo Tap Dancer of τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

MINION of the"I drive a stick cause I'm better than you!!" Club

PM TehNez or IbanezPlayer27 to join.

EHX Users Guild. Bugera Users Militia
The MXR Lounge
Quote by Bloodshed
Roll back the tone knob on the SD-1.

Well I sold it... But I did that, it wasn't that it had too much highs, it had too much of a low end cut.

Edit: I read about a quick resistor change that fixes it, but never got around to it.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Quote by tubetime86
Well I sold it... But I did that, it wasn't that it had too much highs, it had too much of a low end cut.

Edit: I read about a quick resistor change that fixes it, but never got around to it.

Analogman's and Keeley's mods for Boss pedals are the sh*t. i know you don't have the SD-1 anymore, but you should check them out.
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
Quote by ChiliFan01
Fruciante uses a MIJ boss BTW.

First,Boss (in my eyes) make the best delay that you can really get (DD-3).

The only reason i'm not too much of a boss fan is that Dave Navarrow is their endorser

Shouldn't that be like, a reason to like Boss?
█████████████████████████
Quote by unet
Boss HM-2
Boss FZ-2
Boss DM-2
Boss PH-2
Boss PS-3
Boss RV-3

The only reason Boss sucks is because they discontinued all those pedals.

And introduced the world to the metalzone.

Am I the only one who kind of likes the Metal Zone now? It's like I've been through that stage, then into the world of t00b amps and Dirty Bombs and now I'm thinking the Metal Zone is actually kind of cool.

I mean Dave Gilmour uses one. Though more than that, a lot of Swedish Death Metal uses it. It's great if you need a more razor edge kind of distortion. There are Pros that use Metal Zones. Ironically, more than would use say, a Klon.
Last edited by GURREN LAGANN at Dec 5, 2009,
Quote by superfish1232
also you assume pro's have good taste in tone? or even understand their gear
a lot of the time they buy it because it's well known and havn't got anything to compare it to
(i'm not saying this applies to all pro's and im agreeing with all the other reasons too just an extra opinion)

I'd actually say the opposite and that it's that non-pros like to think they know their gear when in reality they're just going with various not quite correct notions in place of actual knowledge.

There are quite a few Pros that use SS amps. Les Paul was using a Tech21 TM Series up until his death.
Quote by The Chimney Man
Hi

If Boss Pedals are so bad, why do so many pros use them?

E.g. John Frusciante uses a DS-2, but he's known for having great tone.

Why??

many pros use them ON THE ROAD, because they're very durable. also just because they're professional musicians doesn't always mean they know good tone. (look at majority of todays nu-metal and pop punk bands) i personally have moved to quite an elitist stage in my gear using career Im a boutique fanboy through and through. im always willing to a little extra to have my stuff be hand built from the highest quality material
Page 1 of 2