does bodybuilding and weightlifting have any effect on your voice?

i mean, im not a bodybuilder or anything...
i just want to gain a little muscle, so does it affect your voice?
i had the same question less than a year ago.. as long as you arent doing any ridiculous stuff involving your neck, which if your lifting right you shouldnt be using your neck at all. but your voice should be fine. i put on about 10 pounds of muscle over the summer and my voice didnt change at all
disasterpiece
I doubt it would make it worse...building abdominal muscles and stuff might even improve it, I dunno
i wont be doing anything serious, i just want to workout a bit...
i think it doesnt change your voice at all, maybe if you do some really serious stuff like bodybuilding and doing the exercises wrong...

thank you!
On the other hand, I think roids and some hormones can affect your voice. Don't take my word for it, but I'm pretty sure, depending on what you take, it can. So just stay away from that stuff.
Where is Dirk Lance?
actually, all the awesome stuff your body releases when you work out affects your vocals as does the heavy breathing. my voice used to drop dramatically in pitch for about the first hour after working out. definitely not negatively though, only good things come from it.
I've read that hardening up your abdominals can have a negative effect on your breathing, cause there's less flexibility in the region meaning your diaphragm can't suck as much air in (note that your diaphragm and your abdominals are different muscles). I don't remember where though. I guess it could've just been some wuss with a gut trying to justify it. :P

Like most things, I think it'll be fine or even helpful in moderation, but taken to extremes is likely to cause problems.
As a singer, your body is your instrument. The healthier your body is, the better.

As far as abdominal muscles affecting your breathing.... I'm no doctor, but that sounds ridiculous.

"Man does too many sit-ups and dies of asphyxiation"

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
Affecting your breathing in the sense of being able to suck in a huge lungful of air to sing with, vs being able to breathe normally for ordinary non singing applications
Anyone who develops "uber-abs" is going to be athletic and will engage in rigorous physical activity. In order to do that, they need to be able to do a lot more than just "breathe normally." They need to be able to take in large volumes of breath.

CT

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

I have been singing for four years now.
And I used to be REALLLYYYY skinny.
But I bulked up last year (for the ladies hahaha) and now I have an 8 pack and decent sized arms.
I can honestly say my voice hasn't changed even the slightest bit.
I do notice that I can sing longer notes now.
(I dont know if it has anything to do with bulking up)
Quote by Myke.
I have been singing for four years now.
And I used to be REALLLYYYY skinny.
But I bulked up last year (for the ladies hahaha) and now I have an 8 pack and decent sized arms.
I can honestly say my voice hasn't changed even the slightest bit.
I do notice that I can sing longer notes now.
(I dont know if it has anything to do with bulking up)

More to do with lung capacity, which probably increased due to the exercises you were doing.

|_|0|_|
|_|_|0|
|0|0|0|
▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄
^ Probably... at least part of it.

Another part of it is that singing requires a great deal of energy. The more fit you are, the more energy you typically have, and the more efficiently you're able to use that energy.

(from what I hear anyways.... I, personally, am miles away from Mr. Fitness.....)

CT