So yea, you y'all give me your ideas on the symbolism in To kill a mockingbird? I'm doing an essay, and I'm fishing for ideas and points of view. I am not asking you to do my homework for me, I am merely getting a whole bunch of ideas from people with different mindsets and different ways of thinking.

Your help is appreciated.
Quote by denfilade
For a moment I thought velcro shoes were ones with the whole bottom made of velcro

She could walk up your pubes with those

Quote by kannon
this post has aids
Quote by NinjaSlayHuman
and 07'ers will always be well-respected members of UG society.
i think the most OBVIOUS symbol is the death of a mockingbird, which is supposed to be the death of that which is harmless and innocent, and is analogous to Tom Robinson.
It's pretty ****ing easy to see. People want to convict a black man of something he didn't do simply because he's been accused. To kill a mockingbird is like convicting an innocent person who would receive the death penalty.
Quote by dudius
It's pretty ****ing easy to see. People want to convict a black man of something he didn't do simply because he's been accused. To kill a mockingbird is like convicting an innocent person who would receive the death penalty.

It's just sorta hard to write a 3 page papaer on that.
Apparently, there are other symbols in the book

Anything else y'all got?
Quote by denfilade
For a moment I thought velcro shoes were ones with the whole bottom made of velcro

Quote by kannon
this post has aids
Quote by NinjaSlayHuman
The Rabid Dog? Boo?
Quote by Altered_Carbon
That's some bony hipster sex, which may be the best kind.
Boo Radley= Catholic priest
Jem and Scout= children
Atticus= God

That's all you need to know.

But seriously, it's not that hard. People discriminate against Tom Robinson just for being black and are trying to convict him of a crime. An innocent man dies for a crime he didn't commit. The sin of killing a mockingbird is in the fact that the mockingbird has harmed no one. So by convicting Tom Robinson, the court "killed a mockingbird." Tom Robinson IS the mockingbird. Oh, and John Lennon is the walrus.
He's a freak of nature, but we love him so.

Quote by John Frusciante
Music isn't the Olympics. It's not about showing other people what you can do with a piece of wood in your hands that has strings on, it's about making sounds that are good.
I think that people look at this book with too hard of an eye. It's really a very simple, delicately written novel and people try to force all of this symbolism and allegory out of it and it completely ruins the book. English classes suck because they don't teach you to read or appreciate the artistry in the written word, they force you to look for "things" that may not be there or weren't the author's intention.

[/mild rant]
Quote by dudetheman
So what? I wasted like 5 minutes watching DaddyTwoFoot's avatar.

Metalheads are the worst thing that ever happened to metal.
Quote by DaddyTwoFoot
I think that people look at this book with too hard of an eye. It's really a very simple, delicately written novel and people try to force all of this symbolism and allegory out of it and it completely ruins the book. English classes suck because they don't teach you to read or appreciate the artistry in the written word, they force you to look for "things" that may not be there or weren't the author's intention.

[/mild rant]

and with this i strongly agree, GCSE english destroyed To Kill A Mockingbird for me. I would have truly enjoyed the read if it wasn't for the constant stop/start of "what do you see here?" and "this means..."
Boo Radley is a rapist.

I hate that book so much.
Epiphone Les Paul (Modded with 2 passive pickups and an EMG81)
Yamaha RG guitar w/ Floyd Rose
Rogue Acoustic

BlackHeart BH5 Tube Amp

Danelectro Metal. Digitech Bad Monkey, Digitech CF-7, Crybaby Wah, Danelectro EQ.
Quote by jeremessmore
I don't think there was any symbolism in the book, I think the author meant for everything in the book to be taken literally. Like the mud snowman? means nothing they were just kids and built a fucking snowman.

Naaaaaaaaaaah.

It meant they were not as blind as the adults were.

The Mud(Black People) were equal in their eyes to snow(White People).

The fact they built a "Mudman" showed they lacked the bias and blind hate the adults had.

Or maybe they really did just build a mudman.
[img]http://i.imgur.com/LYZyCdp.gif[/img]

Quote by CrossBack7
Momie's like not even a real person, just an asian, lesbian spirit.
I know it is very simple, my fear is that it is too[/i simple, because, once again, it needs to be a 3 page paper.
Quote by denfilade

Quote by kannon
this post has aids
Quote by NinjaSlayHuman
Quote by Spartan070sarge
Jem and Scout= children
Atticus= God

But seriously, it's not that hard. People discriminate against Tom Robinson just for being black and are trying to convict him of a crime. An innocent man dies for a crime he didn't commit. The sin of killing a mockingbird is in the fact that the mockingbird has harmed no one. So by convicting Tom Robinson, the court "killed a mockingbird." Tom Robinson IS the mockingbird. Oh, and John Lennon is the walrus.

I just started part 2 of the IMO god awful book which isn't that bad at points and definitely all the other points and Atticus is GOD
Rofl?

Lol Cross. The Power of LOL Compels you!
I much prefer to kill an albatross.

Whilst at sea.

|_|0|_|
|_|_|0|
|0|0|0|
▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄
Quote by Spartan070sarge
Jem and Scout= children
Atticus= God

the walrus was paul, silly.
Didn't get the snowman thing. Thank you.

Time to go write a one page essay and two pages of A+ bullshit.
Quote by denfilade

Quote by kannon
this post has aids
Quote by NinjaSlayHuman
Are writing solely on symbolism in the book? if so, a three page paper's more than a little much. =/

Anyways, the "Mockingbird" symbol applies to more than just Tom Robinson (even though teh whole deal about Tom is absolutely correct) it also applies to Boo RAdely at the end of the book, after he saves the kids by killing Bob Ewell (he DID kill him if you didn't pick that up) the Sherriff (heck TAte) decides to cover Boo's tracks by saying Bob fell on his own knife. Why? Because all the publicity and "angel food cakes" (they talk abou this in the book directly, how'd you not get that? Scout even says "it'd be like killing a mockingbird". just sayin. ) would absolutely ruin Boo's life, make him kinda shut down because he's been living in hiding, for lack of a better word, for so long. Lots of other stuff you can pick up on too, for instance, the jury in the trial that Atticus gives that big ol' speech too kinda represents society and it's ridiculous bias and prejudice at the time, and even now. If you read through all that without getting cross-eyed, hope it helps. =)

haha, it'd really suck if you read this AFTER you wrote the paper and this would've gotten you another non-bull page.