Page 1 of 3
For several years, I went to church with my mom. She became a member there, and somehow that made me a "non-communicate member" which I guess means I'm a member who hasn't 'professed their faith'. Anyway, I hadn't gone in a while, and I just received a letter from the church in the mail (sealed ironically like a legal document) basically stating that I should be "before the knees of Jesus" and that I need to repent for lack of attendance, or they would need to take disciplinary action. Yes, that's right. Disciplinary action. What is this? The Jesus Mafia? Are they threatening me? Do they think they own me?

I basically I called the pastor and said I don't want to be a member. He actually stated that "Yes, in a sense we do own you." I was like "Yeah, remove my membership please..." His last words were, "Well, I hope in the future you return to the Lord Jesus Christ." my response: "Hmm, all right. Well, bye!"

Anyone else had a similar experience after leaving Christianity or is my mom in a cult?

People like that give people like me a bad name...
You can call me Aaron.

♠♣♥♦
Out on parole, any more instances of plum text and I get put back in...
Sounds like a fricking cult. And you know what we do with cults, right?

Burn it down. Burn them all down.
████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
Cults. Why'd it have to be cults..

You should listen to devil music and lap dance for small change. TAKE A LOONIE, TAKE IT BITCH.
my mum was/is fine with it. she lets me believe in what I want as long as I give a valid reason for it.
DONT RISK IT, BUY A BASS AMP
Never bothered with church or religion actually.
I don't feel a huge need for Jesus in my heart.
Follow the smoke toward the riff filled land
brutal
Quote by valdean

I don't feel the need. But I did for the first 15 years of my life. I became an Atheist when I was 16, so I guess I was a closet Atheist for nearly three years, but still kinda went to church... guess it's not so closeted anymore, huh?

Quote by Das_Skittles
Sounds like a fundamentalist church. Stay the fvck away from that place.

Yeah, it totally is. My mom and her church are as fundie as it gets. I mean, she is my mom, but she did force feed me this garbage from the time I could connect coherent thoughts.
Last edited by nincompoop at Nov 30, 2009,
Quote by valdean

Same here. Creepy pastor you got there, though.
Military use of children?

Infantry.
good job, Obviously you're better of without such a sick parogy :']
Quote by God
I'm Omnipotent, which is to say that my dick eats both meat and plants

Ronnie and Steele, Rockstars today aint half as real.

R.I.P. Ronnie James Dio & Peter Steele
Quote by SG_dave
I got kicked out of the Christian faith for sleeping with a Jew. The fact her name was Mary Magdelene didn't help either.

Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plus Top
Fender 300CE T-Bucket
Dean DOF ML [For Sale]
Marshall AVT 2000 valvestate
Ibanez modified turbo tube screamer
Digitech RP250
May I ask what sect of the church you belonged too?
I can honestly say I have really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like.

I don't always post on UG, but when I do, I post in the Pit. Stay thirsty my friends.
<-------- And just wtf is wrong with Cults??????
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
You should be careful what you say. Some asshole will probably sig it.

Quote by Axelfox
Yup, a girl went up to me in my fursuit one time.

Quote by Xiaoxi
I can fap to this. Keep going.
Quote by Kensai
Sounds like a fricking cult. And you know what we do with cults, right?

Oh, it's a cult. Religion are cults.

Belief-systems adopted by one man = insanity

Belief-systems adopted by small groups = a cult

Belief-systems adopted by the masses = religion

Quote by IMABBALLPLAYER
May I ask what sect of the church you belonged too?

"belonged" is such a strong word...

Redeemer Orthodox Presbyterian Church in Dayton, Ohio.
Quote by biga29

I KNow right!
❒ Taken ❒ Single ✔ Would like a sandwich

Vereor Deus

Quote by dann_blood
Branding!?!? THAT'S TOO PROGRESSIVE! I say bring back settlement payments in weights of lead and impalement upon wooden stakes!

Quote by Doctor Matthews
Oh! Sorry, I thought that was a braille name tag.
Quote by Jackal58
<-------- And just wtf is wrong with Cults??????

Ask this guy,maybe you two could talk it out over dinner??
If You See Me Posting In The Pit HIT ME.
Quote by KingJak236
My hamster used to bite me when I picked it up, then it got too old and fat to bite and died in a pool of it's own vomit.

Quote by Kensai
That's the rockstar way to go. I salute him.
Maby not a cult but definitely sounds a bit sketchy to me.
Warning: The above post may contain lethal levels of radiation, sharp objects and sexiness.
Proceed with extreme caution!
Quote by biga29

This.

I assure you TS, people like this even bother us Christians.
Only play what you hear. If you don’t hear anything, don’t play anything.
-Chick Corea
congratulations
you sir, made a great choice
If I stay too quiet
I can hear her walking by
Death cold air is moving
Like the touch of her hand

ikuisesti hallussa surua,
pienentynyt enkeli, ottaa minuun,
johtaa minut tämän arvokkaan valoa,
ja ikuiseen pimeyteen.
My suggestion, take it or not, would be to look around for a decent church. Too many people turn away from God just because of a crappy church. If it's fundamentalist or southern baptist, you're likely to feel a little uncomfortable. Look for a non-denominational church where you can actually worship, dress, and express yourself, rather than a church with a back-row of 90 year old women, scowling every time the band plays a contemporary song.

To be blunt: The pastor there apparently thinks his church is the only path to God. How wrong he is.
Quote by Tempoe
Good move, welcome to the sane group.

Oh, well thanks. As I said, I have been an Atheist for nearly four years, I just haven't had the balls to confront the church yet. Those situations are designed by the leaders of the church to be hella tense. I just called him up and laid it all down. Now I don't have to be in this lie any longer.

Quote by whatadrag
My suggestion, take it or not, would be to look around for a decent church. Too many people turn away from God just because of a crappy church. If it's fundamentalist or southern baptist, you're likely to feel a little uncomfortable. Look for a non-denominational church where you can actually worship, dress, and express yourself, rather than a church with a back-row of 90 year old women, scowling every time the band plays a contemporary song.

To be blunt: The pastor there apparently thinks his church is the only path to God. How wrong he is.

I appreciate the suggestion, however I am a content and satisfied Atheist. I know exactly why I am, too. Not because of that church (pity too, the pastor is a great guy), or because of certain situations... I'm out of church and Christianity and religion as a whole out of rationality.
Last edited by nincompoop at Nov 30, 2009,
Great, now print out a sigil, buy a black candle, some paper, a sterile needle and the ability to spell your own full name.

And blast some Kvlt music on the way.
"Black gives way to more black."

I have UG Black Style and I can barely read my signature.

Also, I like black.

~DawnwalkerALL HAIL COMRADE DAWNWALKER
Quote by nincompoop

"belonged" is such a strong word...

Redeemer Orthodox Presbyterian Church in Dayton, Ohio.

hmm. I wouldn't have been surprised if it were something like the Jehovah's Witness' doing that, but just a Presbyterian church? Anyways, it sounds like you definitely did the right thing for yourself. Now try and get your Mom out of there.
I can honestly say I have really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like.

I don't always post on UG, but when I do, I post in the Pit. Stay thirsty my friends.
You handled that well. If I was told by a church they own me I would be yelling for hours, and probably vandalize something after.
Epiphone Les Paul (Modded with 2 passive pickups and an EMG81)
Yamaha RG guitar w/ Floyd Rose
Rogue Acoustic

BlackHeart BH5 Tube Amp

Danelectro Metal. Digitech Bad Monkey, Digitech CF-7, Crybaby Wah, Danelectro EQ.
Quote by Kensai

Varg Vikernes, is that you?
Quote by imdeth
This man deserves my +1

+1

Quote by denizenz
Go in peace my son, and teach to the pit dwellers what I have shown unto you.

ಠ_ಠ

XBL: huffy409
Go Buddhism!

But (also) seriously, this--"Yes, in a sense we do own you."--is kind of funny. At least he admits it. Congratulations on being free.

Belief-systems adopted by one man = insanity

Belief-systems adopted by small groups = a cult

Belief-systems adopted by the masses = religion

so by that thought process right there, atheism is a religion.
Quote by Dawnwalker
Great, now print out a sigil, buy a black candle, some paper, a sterile needle and the ability to spell your own full name.

And blast some Kvlt music on the way.

win
If I stay too quiet
I can hear her walking by
Death cold air is moving
Like the touch of her hand

ikuisesti hallussa surua,
pienentynyt enkeli, ottaa minuun,
johtaa minut tämän arvokkaan valoa,
ja ikuiseen pimeyteen.
>implying Varg actually burned down churches.

Kids still believe this?
SCALD
Quote by Phill-Rock
That, or being absolutely broke - though you always find money for cigarettes, then end up even more broke.

so true ^.

Quote by smb
I think it's a type of fish.

PM me for GP5
It seems to me that most people who have it forced on them, end up going away from it.
Como te
I ve had a similar experience, my now mother in law was a member of a christian church, and she heavily persuaded us to have our newborn daughter baptised there. We had it scheduled, family invited and everything. Then, I get a call from the pastor telling me that we cannot have our daughter baptised there because we were not married and had a child out of wedlock. He then proceeded to inform me of how I was living in sin and my girlfriend(now my wife) needed to "get right with the lord". The church would not accept us as members and basically shunned us. I had some choice 4 letter words for that pastor. I thought God forgives and is accepting of everyone, apparently not. I have not been back to church since, nor do I want to. My relationship with the higher power(who/whatever that may be) is my business and i believe no one has the right to tell you other wise. Just thought I would share my bad church experience.
Stay true to yourself and f*ck everyone else...
Gear
Epiphone Les Paul
Cheap Acoustic
Marshall MG10
Peavy TNT130

Page 1 of 3