It's for 80s hair-metal type stuff (think Motley Crue, W.A.S.P., Dokken, Poison). Looking for that loud, raw tone. I don't have the opportunity to try out either of them so I'm looking for opinions on which is better for that stuff.

I don't mind that the ENGL has one EQ for all channels or that the Orange doesn't have an effects loop, reverb, or an EQ for the clean channel. So don't list those as cons. I just need it to do one thing well. It has to just sound great for that stuff.
Well I've only played the Orange once and it sounded rather awesome, but from what I've heard on this site the ENGL is absolutely epic, so I'd definitely just compare the two if you are able to try them out.
But take my advice with a pinch of salt
Absolutely epic? Jesus the hype for Engls is out of control.

I haven't played that Orange, but it sounds like the Screamer would be good for you - it does the loud and raw thing, but I haven't played one in years and I've sort of forgotten what it was like to play. But 80s metal is a good setting for that amp, that's for sure.
-Mike
Both can do it, but the Orange will probably need a boost to make it sound right. Both great amps, really. The Screamer is highly versatile, the Orange is imo a one-trick pony without a boost, that trick being it's crunch tone, but it does that very well.
Quote by TheQuailman
Both can do it, but the Orange will probably need a boost to make it sound right. Both great amps, really. The Screamer is highly versatile, the Orange is imo a one-trick pony without a boost, that trick being it's crunch tone, but it does that very well.

I would be getting an attenuator installed in the Orange so I can actually get some power amp distortion. I don't mind that the Orange is a one-trick pony. It just sounds so great in youtube videos. It's so organic and natural. I'm just looking for one great usable tone that sounds good on anything I play. The thing I'm mainly worried about with the Orange is that it sounds amazing with Les Pauls and Strats. But I haven't heard it with the guitars I'm planning on using with it or with the type of music I play. I think it would work perfectly, but that's just going off of my own impressions, youtube videos, and reviews.

With the Engl, I know it sounds good for a lot of stuff. But nothing blew me away about it. It's nice that it has reverb and an effects loop, but I hear that those take away from the tonal quality, so they won't be missed since the Orange has a great tone. From what I noticed, it seemed like the Engl excelled at cleans and high-gain. I haven't heard a good mid-gain tone, but that could be due to the reviewers not EQing it properly with the shared EQ. Everything that the Engl boasts is something that I don't need. I just need one channel that sounds great. But it seems like the obvious choice as I can immediately hear it sounding good for my music.

I think the Orange sounds better, but it's more experimental. I think it'll work great for my music and everything else I play. On the other hand, I can immediately hear how I would get along with the Engl. I'm not looking for 80s hair-metal tone, I'm looking for one that'll sound good for that style of music.
Well, it sounds to me like you made your decision. You like the Orange and don't need the gizmos the Engl offers. If it matters, I tried the Rocker with an Ibanez PGM and it sounded just fine. Note though that it can get muddy with the highest of gain settings. If your tone is supposed to be more glam-rock-ish (which I gather) than, say, thrash-ish it should be just right though. Otherwise just get a booster for it.

EDIT: Are you sure there's no place that stocks these? In all of New York?
Last edited by TheQuailman at Nov 30, 2009,
engl might be too bright; orange might be too dark.

Personally i'd go for the engl for those tones, but from the sound of things you want something which you personally like the sound of, rather than what might be closest to the usual hair metal tone, so that's incredibly hard for us to advise on...
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
it wouldn't be my choice for that type of tone.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?