The neck pickup is a bit warmer and the tone is a little easier on the ears. Generally the bridge pickup is very sharp and heavy, so switching to the neck pickup helps balance out the tone. This works particularly well under high gain situations.

It was the only task I would undertake...

I P R O G
...to reap the harvest that was mine

- [ P R O G - H E A D ? ] -
Last edited by MetalGS3SE at Nov 30, 2009,
The bridge pickup gives you more treble. when your shredding most of what your playing is usually treble dominant. It is kind of overkill. By running through your neck pickup you get a less harsh treble with a modest bass for balance.
it gives you that more buttery throaty feel that sounds good for solos. just listen to yngwie malmsteen, his signature tone would be impossible to achieve on a bridge humbucker. try comparing the two on your own, especially with a band, you'll find that solos can sound kind of stale and sharp with the bridge humbucker
periphery/bulb!

gear:
Ibanez RG7321 w/ D-sonic in bridge

Peavey 5150 mk ii & b52 4x12 cab

line 6 podxt for recording

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.
There's tone reasons as mentioned above but for the most part the real reason is because they're incapable of playing cleanly when shredding with the bridge pickup. It's a lot easier to get a good sound when shredding with the neck pickup and that's a fact. This goes double for guitarists that switch to the neck pickup and throw on a load of delay when shredding... Hiding mistakes.
Speed is a by-product of shut the fuck up.
^this is also a good point, the bridge pickup is more "clean" sounding, making your mistakes more audible
periphery/bulb!

gear:
Ibanez RG7321 w/ D-sonic in bridge

Peavey 5150 mk ii & b52 4x12 cab

line 6 podxt for recording

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.
Quote by 00mirshahia
Thanks =] Now i know why they do it and now i'm going to use that technique =]

I hope you mean for the tone and not because you can't be bothered learning to play properly. People that use it to hide mistakes are epic fail.
Speed is a by-product of shut the fuck up.
Quote by Aleksi
There's tone reasons as mentioned above but for the most part the real reason is because they're incapable of playing cleanly when shredding with the bridge pickup. It's a lot easier to get a good sound when shredding with the neck pickup and that's a fact. This goes double for guitarists that switch to the neck pickup and throw on a load of delay when shredding... Hiding mistakes.

Good point, althought I wouldn't say that is the "real" reason. Some people may do so for that reason, but I find it more likely that people simply want a fuller tone for soloing.

It was the only task I would undertake...

I P R O G
...to reap the harvest that was mine

- [ P R O G - H E A D ? ] -
I prefer the fuller tone - the bridge sounds really thin when I do solos, especially sweeping. The sound is more dramatic, I think.