Hey UG,

I'm in the market for a 7 string jazz box,since I play way too much jazz to not own one .The thing is,I'm woefully ignorant when it comes to companies that make them,so I was hoping some users out there could list some of the companies that make them for me.

As always,any help is appreciated

WARNING!: THIS USER HAS BEEN KNOWN TO BE AN OPINIONATED ASS. ALWAYS USE CAUTION WHEN READING POSTS AND NEVER USE NEAR AN OPEN FLAME.USE ONLY AS DIRECTED.KEEP OUT OF REACH OF CHILDREN.

Quote by Vlasco
ur jazz has no box

What a great call back,you ass

WARNING!: THIS USER HAS BEEN KNOWN TO BE AN OPINIONATED ASS. ALWAYS USE CAUTION WHEN READING POSTS AND NEVER USE NEAR AN OPEN FLAME.USE ONLY AS DIRECTED.KEEP OUT OF REACH OF CHILDREN.

Honestly, if you can´t play Jazz on 6 strings, it ain´t no use playing it on 7.

That being said, there won´t be many guitars suiting your needs. You´d be best trying to contact Godin Guitars for a custom quote, or, as much as I despise them, Ibanz guitars. I personally find the quality of Ibanez Jazz Boxes horrible, but it´s your choice. Washburn is also worth a try, too, but I don´t think they would serve your needs. The king of Jazz guitars (I´m talking about Gibson) doesn´t have a 7 string Jazz Box listed.
In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends.

Quote by Lord-O-Donuts
Banned for being the coolest April 08'er on UG.

please check out my own album:
almilano.bandcamp.com
Musiciansfriend doesn't have any. You could try some of the other bigger online stores but they aren't guaranteed to have them. I think that you just to need realize that you aren't Lenny Breau and dont need the seventh string and just get a regular archtop, or do what Lenny did and look for something custom made. Archtops are rare as it is and seven string ones that can be delivered or picked up by you will be especially hard to find.
Quote by Madzää
Honestly, if you can´t play Jazz on 6 strings, it ain´t no use playing it on 7.

That being said, there won´t be many guitars suiting your needs. You´d be best trying to contact Godin Guitars for a custom quote, or, as much as I despise them, Ibanz guitars. I personally find the quality of Ibanez Jazz Boxes horrible, but it´s your choice. Washburn is also worth a try, too, but I don´t think they would serve your needs. The king of Jazz guitars (I´m talking about Gibson) doesn´t have a 7 string Jazz Box listed.

I could easily get a six string jazz box,but I play 7 string jazz,so it'd be a half assed solution.

Usually when I recommend any guitars, I usually tend to say "Agile!", but most of their 7's are more metal orientated, but... Nevermind, I just checked & the one I was going to link you to was a 7 string telecaster style, but it's not on the site anymore, but it might be back up in a week or two (if at all)
Quote by _-Joey-_
Usually when I recommend any guitars, I usually tend to say "Agile!", but most of their 7's are more metal orientated, but... Nevermind, I just checked & the one I was going to link you to was a 7 string telecaster style, but it's not on the site anymore, but it might be back up in a week or two (if at all)

Thanks for posting,but I'm well aware of Agile 7's,and none of them are jazz boxes .

Look people,I know 7 string JB's are exceedingly rare amongst major production brands,and I know most of you are going to be dense and tell me I don't need a 7 and to just get a six.The thing is,the low B is a major component in the music I write,play,and love,so it's a necessity.I'm not looking for a major brand,because they obviously don't have them.I know it's a bitch of a question,but if it had an easy solution I wouldn't be turning to UG for help.

Quote by Vlasco
Ask Mr. Sadowsky to build you one!

Eh?

A custom might be my only option though .

Quote by Vlasco
I love Sadowsky guitars for jazz. Nothing better in my mind.

Yeah,since it seems the only 7 string JB's I can find are $2500-$4600,I might as well just have a custom built .I'm still holding out on the hope that there's an obscure company out there that makes them in the $1200 range.

Matt Raines of Raines guitars, should be a decent solution for a Jazz orientated 7.

Although i just use my regular guitars for jazz concerts The EMG's on my 8 are ideal for that purpose.
Quote by hmmm_de_hum
Matt Raines of Raines guitars, should be a decent solution for a Jazz orientated 7.

Although i just use my regular guitars for jazz concerts The EMG's on my 8 are ideal for that purpose.

Nice,I knew if I waited long enough someone who was knowledgeable would come along

My solidbody 7 does jazz well,but I want the feel,tone,and playability of a true jazz box,because I'm a stubborn and selfish musician .

The Raines 7 string traditional archtop looks like it's a dead ringer for what I'm looking for,thanks for the info.

No worries man, ive just convinced my guitar to buy one actually, he loved the feel of my 7 so much that he said "I need one..."

If u had the spare money i would definately go for an authentic hollowbody, nothing really compares to it i know. But alas, times are hard and i'll just have to make do

Good luck though man, ive heard good things about those guitars, i hope they live up to reputation
Quote by hmmm_de_hum
No worries man, ive just convinced my guitar to buy one actually, he loved the feel of my 7 so much that he said "I need one..."

If u had the spare money i would definately go for an authentic hollowbody, nothing really compares to it i know. But alas, times are hard and i'll just have to make do

Good luck though man, ive heard good things about those guitars, i hope they live up to reputation

I hope so too,they seem to be very well made for the price.If I couldn't find a 7 I was gonna settle on an Ibanez AF105SM since it's a beautiful guitar,but these Raines guitars look every bit as good.

Quote by hmmm_de_hum
No worries man, ive just convinced my guitar to buy one

Eastman guitars. Thats the best i can think of, or check out peerless guitars, although not as good in my opinion as eastman. Both of these companies have models in your price range. I know Eastman has multiple seven strings for under 2000. check out sites that sell them like, jhale music rather than the Eastman site, as the Eastman site is not super informative
Damn, I was going to ask where you got a guitar that was willing to buy even more guitars for you.
Quote by Pr0gNut

Look people,I know 7 string JB's are exceedingly rare amongst major production brands,and I know most of you are going to be dense and tell me I don't need a 7 and to just get a six.The thing is,the low B is a major component in the music I write,play,and love,so it's a necessity.I'm not looking for a major brand,because they obviously don't have them.I know it's a bitch of a question,but if it had an easy solution I wouldn't be turning to UG for help.

By no means wanting to hijack your thread, but what kind of Jazz do you play to need the low B so much? I´d personally think it´d muddy up the bass playing to a big extent, and clash with the piano voicings? Please don´t take that as bad talking, I´m just interrested, since I´m mostly a strict Bop Player.
In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends.

Quote by Lord-O-Donuts
Banned for being the coolest April 08'er on UG.

please check out my own album:
almilano.bandcamp.com
Ever considered going baritone? You can do that, or toss on some heavier strings (much heavier) and detune a full fourth.
My Blog
New bands you wish you knew about!

Check This Band:As Blood Runs Black
Guitarist of the month: Quorthon

Got a good band that you want to share with the world? PM me and I'll write them a review.
Last edited by woodenbandman at Dec 1, 2009,
Quote by Madzää
By no means wanting to hijack your thread, but what kind of Jazz do you play to need the low B so much? I´d personally think it´d muddy up the bass playing to a big extent, and clash with the piano voicings? Please don´t take that as bad talking, I´m just interrested, since I´m mostly a strict Bop Player.

Most extended range jazz guitar players I've heard do a lot of solo work with them. The low B/A might not be useful in band situations, but it certainly is when you want a fat, full tone while playing solo.
Last edited by Whiskky at Dec 1, 2009,
Quote by Whiskky
Most extended range jazz guitar players I've heard do a lot of solo work with them. The low B/A might not be useful in band situations, but it certainly is when you want a fat, full tone while playing solo.

Correct Whiskky,I'm more of a free range/solo jazz player,since I love the genre but there is an utter lack of jazz bands in my area.I also play progressive and neo-classical metal on a 7 string,so that's why I need a 7 string IMO.Taking away my low B would be limiting,maybe not in a logical way,but just the mental fact that I'm missing a low B would bug me because I'd naturally go to use it and it wouldn't be there .

Jim Soloway? Not a "jazz box" per se but does 7s at a reasonable price...

Aside that D'Angellico make a few but they'll be pricy (and I've yet to play a Dan that I love, but I know people swear by them) Then of course Benedetto... I don't know if either of those options offer "student models" at a lower price though; otherwise you'll need to sell a kidney.

For cheap brands that may/may not do a 6-string: Peerless hollowbodies have impressed me greatly they're worth a shout... And there's another that is good I believe the comany is "Black" but I could be wrong.

For sale: Early 1985 Ibanez AH10 (Allan Holdsworth signature model) PM for details
Last edited by power freak at Dec 3, 2009,
Ibanez AF207, if you can find one. It's been discontinued, and ran for $3000 new AFAIK.

Quote by primusfan
It wasn't mean, it was Portuguese.

Master Saruwatari of the Pit Samurai Pm theguitarist to join

Membro do clube Português do UG.
the 2 jazz teachers ive had in the past had something like OE Moll or Oliver Moll 7 string jazz guitars, and they are extremely nice. Idk about price though...i think theyre mostly handmade