To start this off, I'm a gear noob. I've been playing for several years but not too seriously until recently; I'm still using the Ibanez starter kit I got when I started.

I ordered a Valveking 212 used from Musician's Friend and it just arrived today. The clean channel sounds great from what I'm used to.

However, it has almost no distortion. At max gain, it's more of a slightly overdriven clean tone. I've heard that the VK212 is a great amp for heavier styles, so I was wondering why this is. I'm picking up a distortion pedal tonight to help, but I would think I wouldn't need one.

I've tried fiddling with the settings, and all I can think of is that it's my guitar. Is it possible that my pickups are just too weak? On my old amp (granted, it's a cheap solid state 15w or so piece of crap) I could get decently distorted from just the amp; not metal heavy, but enough for the louder stuff I play like Muse and Rise Against. Since the ValveKing is 100W, do I need more powerful pickups to drive it?
It could be your cable or your input jack maybe?

You could always send it back to MF and they'll replace it, they're usually really good about that.
Quote by forsaknazrael
You should probably mug John Frusciante or Ritchie Blackmore. They're small guys, we could take 'em.

Just look out for that other guy in the Red Hot Chili Peppers, Will Farrel. He's a tall mofo, got a long reach.

Quote by Invader Jim
I give up.

The valveking needs a bit of work done to it to become a true metal amp.

Eg:
New Speaker
New Tubes
An EQ and possibly an OD

So it will set you back a pretty penny, especially since it's the 212.

Some cheap things you can do:

Place a dummy jack in the input one and your guitar lead in the second input (increases gain)

Plug a wire into the FX send and straight back into the return (only applies if you aren't using pedals obviously). It should increase gain and clarity.

To be honest, the speakers are where most of the muddiness is inherited.
Ibanez RG370DX
Schecter C-1 Classic
Valveking 112 w/ Celestion V30
Bad Monkey
Tanglewood TW28 Acoustic
Last edited by Darkpagey at Nov 30, 2009,
Thanks, but the problem isn't so much clarity, it simply barely has any distortion. I'm gonna try the dummy cable trick though. I really don't want to send it back since I just waited two weeks for it, but I will if I have to.
Are you sure you're using the lead channel? or are you just trying to get an overdrive sound out of the clean channel
It could also very well be your guitar. One of my guitars had almost no distortion and i had to crank the gain on the amp and then it just ended up sounding too muddy. I later discovered the wiring was not connected properly. Resoldered everything and it worked fine.
Last edited by Thean4rchist at Nov 30, 2009,
Quote by mrawesome2142
Thanks, but the problem isn't so much clarity, it simply barely has any distortion. I'm gonna try the dummy cable trick though. I really don't want to send it back since I just waited two weeks for it, but I will if I have to.

Input 1 plus gain boost?
Yup, it's on lead with volume and gain boosted. I've tried messing around with everything, and it doesn't seem to vary much. The extra input cord adds a bit of gain, but not nearly as much as my terribad starter amp could get to. I'm thinking it's just my guitar, but I'm gonna scour the Valveking thread you linked for tips, thanks.
I was confused for second. I thought you were saying you couldn't get distortion out of your clean channel....you mean distortion channel right? It must be a damaged tube.