utterly retarded

GUITARS CURRENTLY USED
Ibanez RG7621
Ibanez RG121
ESP LTD H-400
They're fine for practicing your left-hand technique but that's about it. Any extra practice you can get is a good thing.
its a gimmick

and its crap
PSN USERNAME: MetuulGuitarist7
STEAM:MetuulGuitarist7
Origin:MetuulGuitarist7
feel free to add me
Hm, for the strangest reason I wasn't surprised to see the Zakk Wylde 'signature model'.
When you saw me sleeping
thought I was dreaming
of you...

I didn't tell you
That the only dream
Is Valium for me
I don't get it... Does it amplify?
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Quote by tubetime86
I don't get it... Does it amplify?

nope

and if guys want some lulz check out their "forum"
PSN USERNAME: MetuulGuitarist7
STEAM:MetuulGuitarist7
Origin:MetuulGuitarist7
feel free to add me
The site is overdone but it's really not a bad product - there isn't always room to pack a travel guitar.
All the hate on here is dumb macho bullshit. It's perfect for keeping technical practise routines in place and helps to keep your fingers used to the feel of an electric guitar while you're away from it, on holiday or whatever.
Sure, it's never going to be anywhere near as good for your practise as an actual guitar, but I bought one on a whim and it's genuinely proved invaluable!

Edit: To stress again, it is not a substitute for a real guitar. It is designed for practising where a guitar would be inconvenient, when you feel you should.
Last edited by Rock Pig at Nov 30, 2009,
Quote by WTF!!is a TAB

WTF... Somebody likes golden shower videos a little too much.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Quote by WTF!!is a TAB
nope

Wtf Thats all i can say. Front page of the forum. First one i clicked on

EDIT: i took off the link. I think i might get in trouble for it. Haha. Just look up on there shredneck forum, and click one. I think theyre all the same
Last edited by nickdohle at Nov 30, 2009,
Quote by Darkflame
^it's still 60 bucks lol, i'd rather buy something more useful... i know i wished i had something like that last summer, but still... i find it severely overpriced

Still cheaper than a travel guitar.
Materially, the price seems reasonable.
Whether you think the function's worth the money or not, well, that's really what it all boils down to. If you're on holiday a lot it's a godsend. If you go out on holiday once every decade or something, it is pointless.
It is pointless, it says on their site "Use it to warm up before gigs", why not just use your guitar for warm ??
Quote by Kensai
You'll find whisky very different, but try it and you'll grow into it, soon you and whisky are one, but still two, lovers dancing across a frozen lake under moonlight, wrapped in honey and warmth.

Sums up whisky perfectly
Quote by Jak Archer
It is pointless, it says on their site "Use it to warm up before gigs", why not just use your guitar for warm ??

Who cares what it says on their site? It's ideal for keeping your fingers in shape on holiday and during particularly long-haul journeys and as far as that goes there's nothing else that's going to do it for you.
Quote by Rock Pig
Who cares what it says on their site? It's ideal for keeping your fingers in shape on holiday and during particularly long-haul journeys and as far as that goes there's nothing else that's going to do it for you.

Do you work for them or something? It's a butchered 7 fret neck, you can hardly practice your left hand technique with it. I bring my guitar everywhere I go, and I haven't had any problems transporting it.
Quote by Alex Vik
Do you work for them or something? It's a butchered 7 fret neck, you can hardly practice your left hand technique with it. I bring my guitar everywhere I go, and I haven't had any problems transporting it.

Can you practice on long bus, train, or plane rides? Guitars are pretty inconvenient to carry, especially if you're carrying other stuff, which is likely the situation if you're traveling. It fits in your bag and it's quiet. I don't get why people hate them so much here. Fine, using one probably makes you look like a douche. But like I said before, if you're away from your guitar for a month, practicing on a Shred Neck would be a lot more useful than not practicing at all. It can help you improve on most left-hand techniques except for things that involve moving linearly across the fretboard. They're really not bad at all.
Quote by JELIFISH19
Can you practice on long bus, train, or plane rides?

No, but I don't have to practice every second of the day.

Quote by JELIFISH19
Guitars are pretty inconvenient to carry, especially if you're carrying other stuff, which is likely the situation if you're traveling.

Not really. When I travel, I have three bags. My laptop bag, my clothes and supplies bag, and my guitar bag. Guitar goes on the back, other bags go in each hand.

Quote by JELIFISH19
It fits in your bag and it's quiet.

If it's quiet, then I can't hear my mistakes so that I know what to improve.
The forum is "down until further notice". What'd you guys do?
Quote by Rockford_rocks
HENDRIX WAS NOT MEANT TO GO WOOBLYWOOBLYWOOBLYWOOBLY!

Quote by boboguitar
The forum is "down until further notice". What'd you guys do?

do you know what golden shower is
Quote by angusfan16
I got my sister pregnant once. Yeah, that was awkward, but mostly because she's 6 years younger than me.
err... why lug around something or practice something which makes no sound, is possibly hard to hold on to and makes you look like a retard.

You might as well get an ukulele.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
Has anyone saying it sucks actually used one?

Rock Pig was the only person that said he had one, and said it was a good product.

I would like some advice from people that have used them, not just people that think they don't look cool or whatever.
Quote by jfreyvogel
Has anyone saying it sucks actually used one?

Rock Pig was the only person that said he had one, and said it was a good product.

I would like some advice from people that have used them, not just people that think they don't look cool or whatever.

I've tried one. Didn't think it was worth the money or the time.

I suppose it has limited applications to things like being a cramped space and needing to warm up, however, apart from that I don't really think it has any practical applications that cannot be addressed without spending more money on a product.

On a side note, just cuz it works, doesn't mean it doesn't make you look weird wielding one.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
we have them at work, it's fine for what it is. if you think it's a waste of money don't buy it.

I'd opt for a taylor baby or 3/4 scale martin. both should fit in the overhead.

but for what they are, if it works for you.
not only is this product the most ridiculous practise tool ive ever seen, not only do i think it would be utterly pointless in trying to improve your playing, but i think it could actually hinder learning.

when you practise, you need to be able to hear that the note you played is ringing out, is in tune... ie. that you are not over fretting the string or muffling the note. You need to hear the tone developing in your fingers!!

I think its entirely likely that this product could cause someone to repeatedly practise muffled notes, incorrectly fretted notes, overfretted notes and incorrect scales and therfore program that into the cerebrum... not good, in my opinion.
Cursed to one day crash and burn because we fly so god damn high.
The product is not for disciplined practise in a "listen to your mistakes and improve on them" way. Obviously. It's loud enough that you can hear if you're being sloppy or not though so it's still viable for practise.

I do not understand all the hate on here. If you're staying in a hotel for a month or in any similar situation and a guitar would not be practical, then it's better than nothing. It might not seem worth the money but that's dependent on how much you travel, and for some of us (for example, those of us who like to travel light or have to travel very heavy) a real guitar simply would not be practical. The saying "the worth of something is defined by the want (in this case, use) of it" applies here.

I understand fully that most of you probably don't travel enough to warrant something like this. But some people do and for those people it's a useful thing to have - no need to hate on something just because you have no use for it.
Quote by Rock Pig
The product is not for disciplined practise in a "listen to your mistakes and improve on them" way. Obviously. It's loud enough that you can hear if you're being sloppy or not though so it's still viable for practise.

I do not understand all the hate on here. If you're staying in a hotel for a month or in any similar situation and a guitar would not be practical, then it's better than nothing. It might not seem worth the money but that's dependent on how much you travel, and for some of us (for example, those of us who like to travel light or have to travel very heavy) a real guitar simply would not be practical. The saying "the worth of something is defined by the want (in this case, use) of it" applies here.

I understand fully that most of you probably don't travel enough to warrant something like this. But some people do and for those people it's a useful thing to have - no need to hate on something just because you have no use for it.

I disagree, wholeheartedly!! and im not hating, im just expressing an opinion.

if it isnt for disciplined practise in a "listen to your mistakes and improve on them" kinda way, dont you think you run the risk of practising bad technique without even realising thats what you are doing?

I honestly believe this product would cause more harm than good, if you have to travel and cant take a guitar, you would be better off taking a theory book and doing some reading/learning, like learning the chord cominations for all the different keys, or learning where all the notes are on the fretboard. Or, take some ear training mp3's on your mp3 player and improve your ear! or learn to read music! seriously!

Maybe buy a powerball and use that while traveling, mine has helped with finger strength immensly.

my pignose was only £100 and its not difficult to travel with at all, its tiny, it straps to my rucksack nicely and it actually IS a guitar, WITH an amp built in, that you can do REAL practise on!!

The point here is, there are lots of things a guitarist can do to help their progression that doesnt involve actually playing a guitar!

peace

G
Last edited by hippyheaven1 at Dec 2, 2009,
Quote by hippyheaven1
I disagree, wholeheartedly!! and im not hating, im just expressing an opinion.

if it isnt for disciplined practise in a "listen to your mistakes and improve on them" kinda way, dont you think you run the risk of practising bad technique without even realising thats what you are doing?

I honestly believe this product would cause more harm than good, if you have to travel and cant take a guitar, you would be better off taking a theory book and doing some reading/learning, like learning the chord cominations for all the different keys, or learning where all the notes are on the fretboard. Or, take some ear training mp3's on your mp3 player and improve your ear! or learn to read music! seriously!

Maybe buy a powerball and use that while traveling, mine has helped with finger strength immensly.

my pignose was only £100 and its not difficult to travel with at all, its tiny, it straps to my rucksack nicely and it actually IS a guitar, WITH an amp built in, that you can do REAL practise on!!

The point here is, there are lots of things a guitarist can do to help their progression that doesnt involve actually playing a guitar!

peace

G

I agree, mostly. But you went on for an entire paragraph about other things you could do, when my main point is that it's really for keeping your fingers used to the feel of an electric guitar and upholding physical practise routines to ensure that you don't lose your feel for your guitar while you're away. You don't run the risk of practising bad technique due to inaudibility; it is audible, to the extent that you can just about identify something if you're listening out for it. Yes, the Pignose is better for fully fledged practise and improvement; I see the shredneck as being a medium for those that travel a fair bit, but not enough to justify the price of a separate guitar for it.
Quote by Rock Pig
I agree, mostly. But you went on for an entire paragraph about other things you could do, when my main point is that it's really for keeping your fingers used to the feel of an electric guitar and upholding physical practise routines to ensure that you don't lose your feel for your guitar while you're away. You don't run the risk of practising bad technique due to inaudibility; it is audible, to the extent that you can just about identify something if you're listening out for it. Yes, the Pignose is better for fully fledged practise and improvement; I see the shredneck as being a medium for those that travel a fair bit, but not enough to justify the price of a separate guitar for it.

My appologies for you having to read a whole paragraph of what I thought was good advice for someone reading this thread, who might be trying to think of ways to improve their playing when travelling away from home. I thought this was relevant, personally, as given that i dont believe the shredneck would be of much use, I do believe someone who cant aford a pignose or similar alternative would be well served by such a suggestion, even if it does mean your fingers dont actually get a full work out.

Im curious rock pig, how can you hear the correct notes if the shred neck has only 7frets? the octave would be half way between the 3rd and 4th fret and each fret would not be a semitone up from the last.

Im not saying any of this to diss you mate. I understand you have made the purchase yourself and need to now validate the spending of your money to yourself (we all do this when we make a purchase, myself included) and if it works for you then its happy days, but, in my humble opinion, the money that TS might spend on a shredneck would be better spent on a theory book and a powerball.

peace

G