A friend of mine, who can't really post on UG right now, is installing new pickups and a push/pull pot, but he wants to know what the differences are between installing it as a tone pot or a volume pot. Could anybody help explain this, please?
Quote by MightyAl
I took a pic of myself, cut a hole in the face and stuck my knob through so i could see what I'd look like if I got bitten by a radioactive elephant.
There's no difference.

A push-pull pot is just a pot with a switch attached to it. The pot and the switch act independantly of one another, so its just a matter of which control you want to have it attached to.
Member of the official GB&C "Who to Listen to" list
Quote by handbanana
wiliscool is just plain dumb
The difference between a volume and tone control is the wiring. A tone pot will need a capacitor run to ground, which will cut the high frequencies when turned. Go look up some wiring diagrams and you'll see the difference. The pot themselves are the same, its the way it is wired that determines if its a tone or volume.

Edit: Here's a link. You can see the difference between how the volume and tone is wired. Notice the cap on the tone pot - http://www.guitarelectronics.com/product/WD2HH3L11_00/Guitar_Wiring_Diagram_2_Humbuckers3Way_Lever_Switch1_Volume0Tone000.html
Last edited by Matt420740 at Nov 30, 2009,
Rad. Thanks guys.
Quote by MightyAl
I took a pic of myself, cut a hole in the face and stuck my knob through so i could see what I'd look like if I got bitten by a radioactive elephant.
i find that by having a push pull on the tone and volume you get more options and it can be very helpfull sometimes
I used Push-pull volume pots to coil tap the G&B humbuckers on a recent Robelli archtop restoration. Coil taps can also vary the phase of a humbuckers wiring changing the sound.
There's also a pot system that's two pots on top of each other that I use to wire a volume and a tone pot through one hole with two knobs stacked in one of my Cigar Box Guitars. Bezdez is the ebay store where these can be found.