Hey there,

I have recently seen 4 tutors that are all very good and i am having trouble picking one. I would like some feedback on how to pick one, specifically some ideas for a list of specific criteria i could use to compare/test them with ?

I guess i am a low intermediate of sorts. It has been recommended by a real advanced guy that i take classical tuition for a few months at least to correct my left hand technique, but he is only judging my online vids which are more of a bit of fun ( rather than my best concerntrated technique), check it out if you're interested, will give you an idea where i'm at for anyone who can help http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NcDFXO4wDEY

The problem is that all the local classical tutors are booked up or unavailable, and the 4 guys i have seen are all advanced rock/metal players with some classical knowledge/training of sorts, but not purely old school classical as recommended.

Hope to hear from someone,
Thanks
JONA
Last edited by Jonashred at Nov 30, 2009,
i dig the way you spelled improve
Quote by ldnovelo2
That guy Rhys90 is one of the greatest computer genius out there and we must found a religion to honor him
Go with the guy that says things completely different from the others when they talk about music.

The tutor I got made me think about music so differently that it amazes me how I looked at it before. Since then I have gotten so much better.
Last edited by jfreyvogel at Nov 30, 2009,
Do they teach as a job or just for extra money? Do they work as a guitar teacher in any of the local schools? How long have they been teaching? Do they have lots of students? Do you think you'll get on with them? Tell them what your goals are and ask how they can help you meet them - and see how much confidence their answer inspires in you. Can they teach you theory and technique as well as songs? Do they come recommended by anyone?

Shortlist them with that lot, and if you're still torn then I'd book a taster lesson with the ones left on your shortlist and decide from there.
Well, what do you want to play? You don't go to a classical guy to "improve your left hand technique" - you go to learn to play classical guitar.

If you want to play rock, ignore the classical guys and vice versa.

Off the top of my head, take the rock teacher you got along with best or who was the most professional or enthusiastic - whichever is most important to you.
Thanks for the feedback people, especially zhilla, that was exactly what i was after

Quote by Freepower
Well, what do you want to play? You don't go to a classical guy to "improve your left hand technique" - you go to learn to play classical guitar.

According to the person who reccommended me, you do exactly that to become a good professional guitarist, and learn classical in the process. He has taught some of the best players in the world, including one of the top 10 shredders of all time, so i am not inclined to disagree
I do a bit of classical and while their left hand style is perfect for classical, it needs a fair bit of adjusting for rock guitar - string bending and particular kinds of muting are simply not necessary for classical guitar whereas they're essential for rock.

Not that I'm saying that classical won't improve your left hand technique if you practice it - but it's not going to improve it faster than just looking at it with a really good rock teacher.
I have contradicting info from different people of different skills, so i am just going to make my own decision on what is best.

Are you the bald Irish bloke in that youtube link? If so, nice playing.
I have contradicting info from different people of different skills, so i am just going to make my own decision on what is best.

Damn straight. Don't be afraid to change teacher if you feel they can't take you where you want to go.

Are you the bald Irish bloke in that youtube link? If so, nice playing.

Yep, that's me, thanks. Reminds me that I need to both shave my head and do some practice.
Quote by Freepower
Damn straight. Don't be afraid to change teacher if you feel they can't take you where you want to go.

Yep, that's me, thanks. Reminds me that I need to both shave my head and do some practice.

Why shave your head!? Winters on the way!?

I subscribed to your vids, i will be watching them all soon as i form a daily routine plan
Why shave your head!? Winters on the way!?

I own a hat.

And I'll look all cool.

I subscribed to your vids, i will be watching them all soon as i form a daily routine plan

Thanks, hope you enjoy em.
Quote by Freepower
I own a hat.

And I'll look all cool.

Thanks, hope you enjoy em.

Do you have any suggestions or happen to know anywhere i can get like a workout sheet for guitar? I need to keep a record of exactly what im playing and the exercises, duration, bpm etc, and it will be a pain to create a damn table myself
I started off with a notebook, which grew into a folder plus a couple of notebooks and a shelf full of theory books lol. Its worth having somewhere to write down any licks or riffs you come up with as well as keeping track of the technical stuff.
Quote by zhilla
I started off with a notebook, which grew into a folder plus a couple of notebooks and a shelf full of theory books lol. Its worth having somewhere to write down any licks or riffs you come up with as well as keeping track of the technical stuff.

I've never written down anything i came up with. I've been very lazy and always recorded riffs direct to pc or on a mp3 player if im not near one has its benefits i guess
Quote by Jonashred
I've never written down anything i came up with. I've been very lazy and always recorded riffs direct to pc or on a mp3 player if im not near one has its benefits i guess
Recording them works the same, provided you can work them out again by ear - whatever way works for you to remember them. Riffs and licks I tend to write down cos I'm too lazy to link everything up to my pc to record them lol
Quote by zhilla
Recording them works the same, provided you can work them out again by ear - whatever way works for you to remember them. Riffs and licks I tend to write down cos I'm too lazy to link everything up to my pc to record them lol

I have everything all setup and connected , all i do is plug in and record. When the riff is tricky or complicated chords, i include a little bit at the end played slower or individual notes, so i can work it by ear easy