But Seriously...

I Mentioned on another Post I'm A Big Fan of John Mayer. I have decided I want to be very blues rooted. Does anyone notice any particular traits that John Uses that maybe I could incorporate ? I have noticed that he uses Thumb Over Barre Chords n sometimes finger-picking at times (smh..) But yeah I'm trying to go for that Blues Rock feel John Mayer and Gary Moore being idols. I would also learn how to Improv n jam out with friends. I Can figure out what key something is in by noodling around but thats about it. Any help is Appreciated.

Or Any Blues Rock advice w/ scales or anything?

Peace N Luv

-LS
Last edited by The_Lonely_Soul at Nov 30, 2009,
Minor scale, Pentatonic minor, look for blue lessons here on UG, practice tabs.
Why should I come down?
From here, I can see forever.
I feel where you are coming from dude. How about incorporate techniques and styles that influenced John into your style? Good places to start are listening to lots of Jimi Hendrix, BB King, and Albert King. From there you can figure out which licks he uses more and practice those licks. Oh yeah, he was influenced heavily by Stevie Ray Vaughan too... hope this helps a little and gets you in the right direction.
Epiphone G-400
Epiphone Valve Junior Half Stack
Fender DG-20CE
John Mayer is overrated. Look at some real blues, like John Lee Hooker, Son House, Robert Johnson. After you learn their principles, then go to people like Albert King and BB King. Learning the blues is a process, not something that is just done. John Mayer doesn't play the blues, he has bluesy licks to add to his popular form of music, using combined licks from the greats. When you understand the basics of the blues, then you can compose things around the blues. When you are done with that, you may want to look into some Joe Pass, and some other Jazz Guitarists to learn more. If you want to learn how to shred the blues (which is pointless most of the time imo), study some Joe Bonamassa. For the record, Bonamassa>Mayer.
I am the only sane person on the planet. Does that make me crazy?

Crank the Mids
Quote by Bluesy...
John Mayer is overrated. Look at some real blues, like John Lee Hooker, Son House, Robert Johnson. After you learn their principles, then go to people like Albert King and BB King. Learning the blues is a process, not something that is just done. John Mayer doesn't play the blues, he has bluesy licks to add to his popular form of music, using combined licks from the greats. When you understand the basics of the blues, then you can compose things around the blues. When you are done with that, you may want to look into some Joe Pass, and some other Jazz Guitarists to learn more. If you want to learn how to shred the blues (which is pointless most of the time imo), study some Joe Bonamassa. For the record, Bonamassa>Mayer.

Come on... He says he loves John Mayer, "who says" he can't love John Mayer? Sure, you can recommend him some artists, but don't be like "omg Mayer suckz, look at some real blues you pussy". Because that's how you come over in this post. Sorry.

PS.: "who says", good one eh. ¬¬
Quote by KoenDercksen
Come on... He says he loves John Mayer, "who says" he can't love John Mayer? Sure, you can recommend him some artists, but don't be like "omg Mayer suckz, look at some real blues you pussy". Because that's how you come over in this post. Sorry.

PS.: "who says", good one eh. ¬¬

That was not my intent, i merely tried to enlighten him of what the blues really are and make him a better musician. Although, that is a simple way to put it.

I don't get the postscript, sorry, i'm retarded
I am the only sane person on the planet. Does that make me crazy?

Crank the Mids
Learn a bunch of their songs and make a note of anything from them you think you can incorporate into your own playing. If there stuff is a bit hard for now try something like ZZ Top for blues rock. Listen to other blues artists. Learn to play a 12 bar blues I IV V progression. If you haven't already, learn the minor pentatonic scale and start using it to improvise over bluesy backing tracks. If you struggle to start with just use the root and a couple of notes from near it and just improv with them until you start coming up with some stuff you like, then add another note or two into the mix. Whenever you come across a lick you like - be it your own or someone else's - write it down. That way you can use it again when you get stuck. Once you get comfortable with the sound of the scale you'll be able to hear what will fit in your head and play that.

I don't get Koen's postscript either
Quote by Jadena
Who says is a song by Mayer :p
Aha! Now it makes sense, thanks
Quote by Bluesy...
That was not my intent, i merely tried to enlighten him of what the blues really are and make him a better musician. Although, that is a simple way to put it.

He wants to learn John Mayer, not these people that you listed.
Well i mean John isn't the only person in the world I idolize but i do appreciate his sound. The Blues Rock vibe is just awesome. I like SRV's playing not so much a fan of his tone. Hendrix is just a beast! Clapton is dope and a great player but I do connect more with John. I'll take a look into BonaMassa. and Lol @Koen

I have learned the Minor Pent but it doesn't sound as elaborate as my idols. Maybe its cause of their licks or the speed.

Oh Yeah what are the advantages of extended scales? And do you only play in the keys you need? Thanks for all the feedback thus far
Quote by The_Lonely_Soul

I have learned the Minor Pent but it doesn't sound as elaborate as my idols. Maybe its cause of their licks or the speed.

Yeah, that's why

Sorry.