hey guys, as the title suggests im looking for a bass amp and need some help. i need one that has enough power to keep up at gigs, as im in a gigging band. so would 100watts work? or do you think i need more. they are mostly small/medium size shows. im also looking for a real low end sound, kind of like this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5s8QQD-wzc8&feature=related just that real, deep sound. and my price range is about 500 dollars at the moment. so, any suggestions would be incredibly helpful. thanks a bunch
Well, Jesus Christ, I'm not scared to die,

I'm a little bit scared of what comes after

Do I get the gold chariot?

Do I float through the ceiling?
I bought a Yorkville Bass Master for ~$650 a few years back. It's 100W and I used it to fill up bars and clubs, churches and basements. It worked very well.

It's not a great amp by any stretch, but it got the job done back when my band toured my city.

So yes, 100W will be fine, but you might be spending more than $500 if you want longevity from your purchase.
you could get more than 100W with 500 dollars dude. anyway, i'm a fan of Gallien Krueger so maybe you could check out what amps they got for your budget.
I'M A COWBOY
^ indeed.

For 500, you should be able to find a 200-300 watt combo pretty easily. Peavey has one out that's even more than that.

Companies to look at:
Peavey
Acoustic
Kustom
Ashdown
Hartke
Rocktron

Also look at used stuff. It's very likely that you could find a good full stack for that money.
Nope, no sig here.
Last edited by Mutant Corn at Nov 30, 2009,
alright thanks guys! mutant corn, do you have any specific amps from those companies that i should look at? and i have been scouring CL for weeks, but it tends to be either cheap starter amps or full stacks for like 1100 bucks

there is a nice Peavey 600 watt (SIX HUNDRED MUTHAFUGGA) for 500 on guitarcenter.com.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
Quote by the humanity
there is a nice Peavey 600 watt (SIX HUNDRED MUTHAFUGGA) for 500 on guitarcenter.com.

really? do you mind posting the link? i cant find it at all

thanks. have you had any experience with those amps? are they reliable? sound good?

I would trust Peavey amps under any circumstance. if I was to pick one out right now to own for under 500 new, that would be it.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard

Quote by the humanity
I would trust Peavey amps under any circumstance. if I was to pick one out right now to own for under 500 new, that would be it.

+1. As far as I know, there's not another company in existence that makes tougher stuff than Peavey.
Nope, no sig here.
Quote by Mutant Corn
+1. As far as I know, there's not another company in existence that makes tougher stuff than Peavey.

I don't know, I saw an entire mesa tube stack fall over. head and all. the GC employee cursed, called a friend, they pulled it back up and plugged it in. worked perfect.

this is a guitar amp too. those things are fragile. not sure if Peavey could pull it off.
Quote by FatalGear41

Quote by Jason Jillard

^ True, Mesa is a close competitor. Those cabs they used to make with the flight case built in were awesome. I still think Peavey wins overall though. Their guitar amps are definitely reliable. A friend's Valveking survived a month in the trunk of a car with no rear shocks in the back...just springs. How he forgot it was in there, I don't know.
Nope, no sig here.
wait till we make our new cab company with cabs made out of the stuff they make Nalgenes out of... sound terrible, but you could tour Hell with that puppy.
Quote by FatalGear41

Quote by Jason Jillard

ampeg combo amp is probably the best amp in your budget comes is 15 or 210
ESP B-405,Fender American Jazz Bass(EMG J active pups and LEO QUAN BADASS II ) squire P bass(EMG P active Pups)),
SansAmp Bass driver DI
Ampeg SvP PRO Tube Preamp
QSC2450 Power amp
Furman PL8
FINALLY-Ampeg SVT 810E
Ampeg makes really good sounding amps in my experience. I bought a 300W one once, but I returned it once I realized I didn't need a $900, 300W combo for the type of venues I was playing.