I like to use multiple tunings all the time anywhere from standard to drop B. I've always had fixed bridge type guitars from a Gibson LP Studio to a PRS Santana SE. I'm now looking at getting an RG or a Schecter Hellraiser. I have no electric at the moment because I sold the first two stoptail equiped guitars. I don't use the darn tremelo bar at all when playing but when dropping tunings which is better? Does a locking nut and a locking floyd rose tremelo make lower tunings more stable or will a fixed bridge be fine like I had? I want to be able to play in open C or drop B if I want to but will just having a fixed bridge work just ask good with less hassle? Can I tune back and forth? Sorry but I've only owned fixed bridges and don't know if there's an advantage with the other that I'm missing. I did notice that the Ibanez MTM2 has a double locking FIXED bridge and a locking nut so this got me thinking more with different tunings in mind. There has to be a reason for Mick wanting the set up without a floating tremelo but requiring those locking elements. Ok I'll quit rambling and wait for much appreciated responses.
If you have a floating tremolo you would have to adjust the spring tension every time you change tuning. Now the MTM2 has the best of both worlds, because of the double locking it can hold tuning well, but there is no tension to adjust. If you don't plan on abusing the tremolo I recommend you get a fixed bridge for the simplicity, or a design like on the MTM2
Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
The 2 best colours EVER pitted against each other? No wai!

I voted lime.

Quote by SeveralSpecies
btw lime kicked ass

Member of the Bass Militia PM Nutter_101 to join
Team Lime Green!
Ok let me see if I understand what your trying to say. You want a guitar that you can use in Drop tunings that will stay in tune well. You wouldn't used a tremolo bar but you think that having the locking tuners will help keep the guitar in tune.

Now my answer... Get a hardtail. If your not going to use the tremolo bar then there is no point in getting a floyd rose. The locking nut is only to compensate for the tuning problems gained for a tremolo. Changing tuning is not a simple task with a tremolo either because of the spring tension etc.
If you change tunings frequently then you either need to own several Floyd Rose equipped guitars or one with a fixed-bridge.
Quote by Marty Friedman
Because I bend in such an unorthodox fashion; the notes kinda slide up and slide down...
So I keep pondering whether to get the MTM2 or not. I mean what purpose does that system actually serve versus a regular fixed bridge? Will I notice that much of a difference? I mean you can get a RG with those same stock pickups with a fixed bridge for about $350 versus the $600 you would shell out for the MTM2. If there are no real advantages then I think the cheaper non signature would be the way to go unless I'm missing something important with the double-locking bridge and locking nut setup. Those are Ibanez pickups in that guitar that they use on countless other guitars, including other RG's, that they make.
Sorry I didn't mean for this to turn into a MTM2 thread but that reply I sent was to the first person who answered my thread. After seeing the other two replies, it actually applies to them too. I mean I see what ya'll are saying with just getting a regular fixed system but now the question of the MTM2 system vs a regular fixed bridge still applies. Thank you for this long drawn out qustion that still lingers after a simple starter question that is already answered.
Unless I'm missing something the mtm2 has an Edge III bridge which is just the same as any other tremolo as in it has springs that need adjustment if tuning is changed.
Quote by mikey_360
Unless I'm missing something the mtm2 has an Edge III bridge which is just the same as any other tremolo as in it has springs that need adjustment if tuning is changed.

its an Edge 3 fixed bridge. so it's a double locking system, only that, it's not a trem.
Quote by pedromiles101
you're not gonna want to take a dump in a gross, off-colored, vintage toilet. you want something that is white and pearly; something that shines. something that you can put your cheeks against and say, "f*** yeah"
locking bridges take for ****ing ever to tune, if you switch tunings alot just stick with the standard
If I stay too quiet
I can hear her walking by
Death cold air is moving
Like the touch of her hand

ikuisesti hallussa surua,
pienentynyt enkeli, ottaa minuun,
johtaa minut tämän arvokkaan valoa,
ja ikuiseen pimeyteen.
Quote by mikey_360

The MTM2 actually has a fixed edge 3 (you can see the bolt in back) so no springs evolved, the advantage to this is you get the tuning stability of a locking nut, but you still need the fine tuners so the had to have the tremolo their. Due to the bolt it can not move so their is no need to worry about the problems found with an edge 3. Honestly though if you dont wish to fork out the cash for a signature, a normal fixed bridge also works very well.
Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss

I voted lime.

Quote by SeveralSpecies
btw lime kicked ass

Team Lime Green!
So in theory you could order a locking nut and put it on a cheap fixed bridge model RG and end up with the same end product? Is that fair to say and possible? Can you order a locking nut afterwards or not? Do they make that much of a difference because if they do and you can do that, then I'll just do that.
Quote by Supermansdead81
So in theory you could order a locking nut and put it on a cheap fixed bridge model RG and end up with the same end product? Is that fair to say and possible? Can you order a locking nut afterwards or not? Do they make that much of a difference because if they do and you can do that, then I'll just do that.

No because a locking nut causes your tuning to go sharp so you would need fine tuners to adjust it.
Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss

I voted lime.

Quote by SeveralSpecies
btw lime kicked ass

Team Lime Green!
Quote by alternitivebass
No because a locking nut causes your tuning to go sharp so you would need fine tuners to adjust it.

tone pros makes a tune-o-matic bridge with fine tuners for something like that.
Quote by pedromiles101
you're not gonna want to take a dump in a gross, off-colored, vintage toilet. you want something that is white and pearly; something that shines. something that you can put your cheeks against and say, "f*** yeah"
Quote by randomhero93
tone pros makes a tune-o-matic bridge with fine tuners for something like that.

True but that is assuming he gets a tune-o-matic guitar which fixed rg's are not, and he only mentioned replacing the nut.
Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss

I voted lime.

Quote by SeveralSpecies
btw lime kicked ass

Team Lime Green!
Well, somebody needs to say it...

A double locking system without tremolo is virtually pointless. A good quality nut and some locking tuners will give you supreme tuning stability with a greatly improved ease of use.

Grab an RG321/RG2EX1/etc along with some locking tuners and a graphite nut and you'll be good to go.

It's also worth mentioning that stock Ibanez tuners are almost on par with their Gotoh counterparts. None of the three fixed bridge RGs I've owned have ever had tuning issues. They were all stock tuners, stock nut, and stock bridge.
Quote by Marty Friedman
Because I bend in such an unorthodox fashion; the notes kinda slide up and slide down...
So I looked for this TonePros bridge with fine tuner adjustments on their website under products and had no such luck. This would probably only be possible to achieve if you built your own guitar or buy the MTM2 model straight out. At this point there is only one resolution and it is to buy the regular fixed bridge having RG and put some Beefy Slinky's on there and pray that I can tune like I want to back and forth. If anyone has any other suggestions to this topic then please feel free to give them. The reason I say that is because I hate that loose string feeling which seems to happen no matter what when down-tuning. Maybe this 25.5" scale on the Ibanez will be better than the scale of a PRS or Gibson LP which I think came in at around 24.50" to 24.75". I put 13's on my LP Studio and down-tuned it to open "C" and they still felt like crap. Hey if it really does make a difference with that little of a scale length change then please let me know and I'll make this decision right now.
Quote by Ghold125
You can get a fixed bridge, and get locking tuners.

This, and this only. This is exactly what you want.
R.I.P foREVer
Quote by Supermansdead81
I like to use multiple tunings all the time anywhere from standard to drop B. I've always had fixed bridge type guitars from a Gibson LP Studio to a PRS Santana SE. I'm now looking at getting an RG or a Schecter Hellraiser. I have no electric at the moment because I sold the first two stoptail equiped guitars. I don't use the darn tremelo bar at all when playing but when dropping tunings which is better? Does a locking nut and a locking floyd rose tremelo make lower tunings more stable or will a fixed bridge be fine like I had? I want to be able to play in open C or drop B if I want to but will just having a fixed bridge work just ask good with less hassle? Can I tune back and forth? Sorry but I've only owned fixed bridges and don't know if there's an advantage with the other that I'm missing. I did notice that the Ibanez MTM2 has a double locking FIXED bridge and a locking nut so this got me thinking more with different tunings in mind. There has to be a reason for Mick wanting the set up without a floating tremelo but requiring those locking elements. Ok I'll quit rambling and wait for much appreciated responses.

I stopped reading there.

Fixed bridge.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by ch0
Well, somebody needs to say it...

It's also worth mentioning that stock Ibanez tuners are almost on par with their Gotoh counterparts. None of the three fixed bridge RGs I've owned have ever had tuning issues. They were all stock tuners, stock nut, and stock bridge.

I agree with this, I have a fixed RG (RGR421) and it stays in tune very well with the stock tuners. I might change it to some locking tuners in the future, but that really is just for making string changes a two minute job, and to change the color of them.
I don't mean to highjack the thread but I've pretty much got the same question. I'm getting a new guitar soon. My old guitar has a fixed tune-o-matic and intonation was HELL, I could never get right and intonation means a lot to me. After some research I decided I want a Ibanez S series with the ZR bridge, which has a built in intonation tool, locking nut, and an easy tension adjustment for putting on a different gauge.

To ensure tuning stabily and correct intonation, would this be the way to go? I don't really plan on changing tunings.
Quote by Supermansdead81

go for fixed bridge if u love to use multiple tuning. i'm planning to get an esp horizon or caparison dellinger with a fixed bridge so that i can do multiple tunings too.
My Guitar and gear:
09 Ibanez S prestige
09 Ibanez RG prestige
09 Ibanez Egen18
09 Ibanez 7 string UV custom
Bad Horsie Wah Pedal
digitec rp1000
Randall T2 HH all tube head
Vox Ac30 all tube heads
Randall RS412XL cabs
My guitar has a Floyd rose bridge and I also like to use multiple tunings and it can be a pain. I'd go with the fixed bridge for sure