Page 1 of 5
so over the last year i have became a full on atheist.
my parents dont know so i still have to attend church. i would like to tell them but im afraid of what might happen. I might not be punished in the typical sense but i fear they might start to hate me or even bother me about my beleif and in general think of me as a pile of festering satan dung. Also they are crazy into it they are pentacostal witch is prob. the weirdest mainstream christion denomination.
Also i used to be very much a believer and they knew it so it might be harder to tell them at this point in life. im 15 by the way.

please i need help and suggestions i can't live this lie anymore i need to tell them.
but in anycase now i might wait till my grandmother passes on or have them keep it from her because i couldnt ever break her heart like that before she dies.
iron FUCKING maiden!!!
just tell them dude its your life not theirs, you have the right to believe in what you want.
your a wreck, an accident, forget the freak your just nature, keep the gun oiled and the temple clean, shit snort and blaspheme, let the heads cool and the engine run, because in the end everything we do is just everything we've done.
-corey taylor
Tell them outright, and then when they react say that thats why you dislike religion.
Tell them that you've given up in the big invisible man in the sky and his sons magic tricks.
Or tell them sensibly, I'd do the former.
Last edited by hobson111 at Nov 30, 2009,
Burn a cross in your backyard, when your parents come out, casually say "Hey mom". She Should get the message.

Although, you may want to wait till after the holidays so you dont get jiped
Quote by MakinLattes
I'd kill you and wear your skin.
Quote by Siv During Livh
To attempt to have intercourse with a hornet's nest is a very bad idea,

Voted UG's worst cross dresser.
Also voted #95 on UG's Top 100 2013. Like it means anything....
Quote by genghisgandhi
If your Catholic, say the priest touched you

"Bullshit is the glue that binds this nation together."
-George Carlin

The Human Fund: $0.00
PM me to donate
Quote by muffinduck01
Burn a cross in your backyard, when your parents come out, casually say "Hey mom". She Should get the message.

Although, you may want to wait till after the holidays so you dont get jiped

No, then she'd think he was in the KKK.
I know a dude whose parents completely disowned him when they found out he was atheist, although his parents were pretty extreme born again baptists. Unless you wanna be kicked out of home or something, I'd say keep it a secret for now.
What is mountains? A mountains has no special shapes or sound!

Epic Chill Broseph Of the Australia FTW! Club. PM Alter-Bridge or The_Random_Hero to join.

Quote by ChucklesMginty
Wait till you can move out.

Quite frankly, it's going to cause more harm than good. You have a right to believe what you want, but they're not going to care.

Think of it this way, you're not lying to yourself about believing in God right? The only person you're lying to is them, it's not the same as living a lie. Normally I'd say tell them, but it won't do any good. If you really think telling them you don't believe in God will stop them dragging you to church, think again.

i fear this is what might have to happen in wichcase your probably right about the more harm than good thing.

and can they really force you to go to church if they are aware you dont believe?
iron FUCKING maiden!!!
nut up and tell them. Its not their life your living.
Peace be thy journey
Quote by Athabasca
I know a dude whose parents completely disowned him when they found out he was atheist, although his parents were pretty extreme born again baptists. Unless you wanna be kicked out of home or something, I'd say keep it a secret for now.

i wouldnt put it past them they are pentacostals(the ones who talk in toungs and fall over and sh1t) because if they can believe there god will torture there oldest beloved son in a fire pit for ever then why couldnt they disown me?
iron FUCKING maiden!!!
Quote by gamenerd323
i fear this is what might have to happen in wichcase your probably right about the more harm than good thing.

and can they really force you to go to church if they are aware you dont believe?

Yes. They shouldn't, but they certainly can. For example, they could tell you they'd stop feeding you, or they could threaten to take your bed away. Hell, they could just hold you at gun or knifepoint and force you to get in the car!
Quote by tonedeafidiot
risk > reward

Don't pretend to be a believer, but don't tell them till you've moved out.

i realy dont nowadays exept for physically being at church.
i dont stand to pray i dont bow my head or sing. sometimes ill run the PA and stuff cause i know how but thats just for fun wile im at the damned place.
\
also i used to play guitar in the youthgroup band even wile atheist and i used to play cannibal corpse stuff during downtime and they would look at me in discust. i toook it as a compliment.
iron FUCKING maiden!!!
You need to be proud of who you are. In my opinion, your parents are absolutely delusional. Also, you are not alone. Check out the Evolution vs Creationism-thread here on UG. Your belief (or rather disbelief) is nothing to be ashamed of. You are right. They are wrong. Be proud of who you are and what you stand for. On the issue, however, it's a tough choice, not to mention a very important one. Are you going to be afraid of what people around you think of you, or are you going to stand up for yourself? Ofcourse, I have a certain bias here being an atheist myself, but I'd say the same thing if you were a Christian and your family were atheists.

In many countries, there is an overwhelming percent of closet-atheists, and I presume you live in one of those countries. Here in Europe, being an atheist is absolutely normal. I live in Norway, and most religious people around here are as a matter of fact seen as a bit weird, atleast here in the capital.

So, if I were you, I would stand up for my disbelief, as it is nothing to be ashamed of. Just because it's the norm, doesn't mean it's true. As Robert Pirsig said, "when one person suffers from a delusion, it is called insanity. When many people suffer from a delusion, it is called religion."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fdVucvo-kDU
Quote by Zangetsu 101
Rolling Stone is to the music industry what TheOnion.com is to news.

Ambivalence.
Last edited by Deflection at Nov 30, 2009,
I'm not so sure about telling them. A friend of mine told his parents, and they took everything away from him and didn't let him go anywhere but to church. Another friend of mine told her parents, and they constantly bother her about it so much that she's getting really pissed off at all of them. My parents were cool with my decision, but they aren't all that religious.
Pentecostals are really crazy, though, so I wouldn't be surprised if your parents did something kind of extreme. Is the risk of that worth the freedom that not having to hide your lack of beliefs would give you? This seems like a pretty personal decision to me, and not one you should take lightly.

Quote by Deflection
You need to be proud of who you are. In my opinion, your parents are absolutely delusional. Also, you are not alone. Check out the Evolution vs Creationism-thread here on UG. Your belief (or rather disbelief) is nothing to be ashamed of. You are right. They are wrong. Be proud of who you are and what you stand for. On the issue, however, it's a tough choice, not to mention a very important one. Are you going to be afraid of what people around you think of you, or are you going to stand up for yourself? Ofcourse, I have a certain bias here being an atheist myself, but I'd say the same thing if you were a Christian and your family were atheists.

In many countries, there is an overwhelming percent of closet-atheists, and I presume you live in one of those countries. Here in Europe, being an atheist is absolutely normal. I live in Norway, and most religious people around here are as a matter of fact seen as a bit weird, atleast here in the capital.

So, if I were you, I would stand up for my disbelief, as it is nothing to be ashamed of. Just because it's the norm, doesn't mean it's true. As Robert Pirsig said, "when one person suffers from a delusion, it is called insanity. When many people suffer from a delusion, it is called religion."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fdVucvo-kDU

I don't think he's ashamed, I think he's just scared that his parents will do punish him somehow.
And, about him not being alone: He will be alone if his parents decide to punish him the same way my friend's parents did, which is to pretty much cut his contact to the outside world and keep him locked in his room most of the time.
My League of Legends stream
The morning will come
In the press of every kiss
With your head upon my chest

Where I will annoy you
With every waking breath
Until you, decide to wake up
Last edited by SOADrox429 at Nov 30, 2009,
^if only i could have been bor in a more tolerant country like yours.
well i hope it catches on in the US because i want my kids whom i will teach facts and science, to grow up in a more atheist friendly USA
iron FUCKING maiden!!!
I'm in the same position. I'm choosing not to tell my mom because I don't want to hurt her. It'd kill her.

On the other hand, it kills me to pretend that I believe in something that I don't.

Tough call.
"There is always some madness in love. But there is also always some reason in madness."
-Friedrich Nietzsche

e-married to zgr0826
Tell them you're becoming Catholic! Most Pentecostals I know would FLIP over that. Once the storm dies down tell them you're atheist. They'll feel much better

Or hell just go to a Catholic church to burn them.
Quote by SOADrox429
I'm not so sure about telling them. A friend of mine told his parents, and they took everything away from him and didn't let him go anywhere but to church. Another friend of mine told her parents, and they constantly bother her about it so much that she's getting really pissed off at all of them. My parents were cool with my decision, but they aren't all that religious.
Pentecostals are really crazy, though, so I wouldn't be surprised if your parents did something kind of extreme. Is the risk of that worth the freedom that not having to hide your lack of beliefs would give you? This seems like a pretty personal decision to me, and not one you should take lightly.

I don't think he's ashamed, I think he's just scared that his parents will do punish him somehow.
And, about him not being alone: He will be alone if his parents decide to punish him the same way my friend's parents did, which is to pretty much cut his contact to the outside world and keep him locked in his room most of the time.

holy shit i would kill myself or them or runaway i couldnt stand that.
iron FUCKING maiden!!!
Wait 'til your parents are in a room together, then wander in looking around and say 'Err, guys, have you seen my copy of the God delusion?". Or say "Hey, you know who's funny? that George Carlin fella, yeah, I like that guy, he makes some good points". OR! Try: "Hey guys what's for dinner I reject the holy spirit and think you're both insane it's smells really good, is that pasta?". All plausible options.
honestly telling my parents was a great step in my life, granted it caused alot of problems at first.

But once they finally understand your set beliefs there really isnt much they can do. I still occassionally hear that i need god in my life though lol

I say go for it man. But when you do decide to tell them, come at it in a very mature manor and try to help them understand why your beliefs changed.

When i told my parents, i told them that i was tired of living a lie. I know that i do stupid things, but im a great person. I realise that if there is a heaven, chances are im gonna get in lol.

But i just cant believe in it, its a fairtale to me. Much like Santa and the Easterbunny, just a way to trick people into being good.

But then again thats my view point, many other people see it differently. Im not knockin the people who believe one bit, more power to them, its just not for me.

I really hope i helped. Feel free to message me or anything if ya wanna talk more bout it. i would be more than happy to help you out

Harkey
Quote by Burtonjp
Im secretly a lesbian female in a male body. The worlds a tough place for me.

Quote by gunther_sucks
I once ran into a mirror that I didn't know was there. I think you could say We were both suprised.
Last edited by greasysnowball at Nov 30, 2009,
Quote by SOADrox429

And, about him not being alone: He will be alone if his parents decide to punish him the same way my friend's parents did, which is to pretty much cut his contact to the outside world and keep him locked in his room most of the time

I'm sure child services will love to dig their teeth into that cake...

|_|0|_|
|_|_|0|
|0|0|0|
▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄
If you want to just be able to have your opinion and no one question you about it, you don't deserve the freedom of thought.
What is it with all these closet atheists today?
Quote by the_white_bunny
your just a simpleton that cant understand strategy apparently.

Quote by the_white_bunny
all hail king of the penis sucking(i said balls. you said dick for some reason?) Isabiggles
Quote by aaciseric
Wait 'til your parents are in a room together, then wander in looking around and say 'Err, guys, have you seen my copy of the God delusion?". Or say "Hey, you know who's funny? that George Carlin fella, yeah, I like that guy, he makes some good points". OR! Try: "Hey guys what's for dinner I reject the holy spirit and think you're both insane it's smells really good, is that pasta?". All plausible options.

lulz i should.

by the way they wouldnt let me get a fackin maiden shirt cause they thought eddie looked to nasty or satanic.
i was pissed maidens in my top 10 easily maybee top 5 fav. bands.
but get this they let me get the and justice for all........ shirt lol.
iron FUCKING maiden!!!
Quote by osXtiger

+1
Quote by Burtonjp
Im secretly a lesbian female in a male body. The worlds a tough place for me.

Quote by gunther_sucks
I once ran into a mirror that I didn't know was there. I think you could say We were both suprised.
Quote by osXtiger

Child services don't give a rat's ass about alienating your children in this country. The only time that would even make them raise an eyebrow is if the kid was being denied an education in the process, which would be hard to prove if it happened in a lax home school state.
Quote by gamenerd323
^if only i could have been bor in a more tolerant country like yours.
well i hope it catches on in the US because i want my kids whom i will teach facts and science, to grow up in a more atheist friendly USA

Alright, if you're coming out, this is what I'd do: Study atheism, science, Christianity and some philosophy. A couple of years ago I became very active in the Youtube atheist community, which I sincerely recommend. If you gain more knowledge, you'd actually be able to confront your parents, and tell them why you're an atheist. Right now, they probably see an atheist as a god-hating Satan worshipper. There are enormous misconceptions about atheism in the US. Prepare yourself. Study what you believe in so that when the time is right, you'll be able to explain to your parents just why you don't believe in those bronze-age fairy tales that they do. If you come out now, unprepared, you'll probably have no idea what to say except that it's illogical.
Quote by Zangetsu 101
Rolling Stone is to the music industry what TheOnion.com is to news.

Ambivalence.
if they do something against you, say a list of things about treating all people equally and loving thy neighbour. then if they do something after all, they will have betrayed their faith thereby lowering themselves to your level (in their eyes). god gave us free will right?
DONT RISK IT, BUY A BASS AMP
Quote by gamenerd323
i wouldnt put it past them they are pentacostals(the ones who talk in toungs and fall over and sh1t) because if they can believe there god will torture there oldest beloved son in a fire pit for ever then why couldnt they disown me?

Well if they're going to let some delusion break your relationship apart, I suggest get all you can out of them and then leave. By that, I mean stay their good religious son until you can take care of yourself. You don't want to be caught in the position where you are kicked out of the house with nowhere to go. And knowing the United States people will probably be spitting on you as you lie in the gutter or something, as if it's not bad enough that you're going to spend eternity roasting in Hell when you die anyway. According to them, that is.

If your parents are incapable of providing unconditional love, then there's no point treating them as though they deserve yours. Bleed them dry and then leave when you have the capacity to do so. There's not much chance of reconciling once they find out you are atheist.

Fvcking religion. It makes me so angry.

Epic Chill Broseph Of the Australia FTW! Club. PM Alter-Bridge or The_Random_Hero to join.

Quote by moody git
if they do something against you, say a list of things about treating all people equally and loving thy neighbour. then if they do something after all, they will have betrayed their faith thereby lowering themselves to your level (in their eyes). god gave us free will right?

Except they'll most likely rationalize it to mean something bullshit like "neighbor" only referring to other Christians.

Show them the story of the Samaritan woman that Jesus talks to at the well.
Quote by Deflection
Alright, if you're coming out, this is what I'd do: Study atheism, science, Christianity and some philosophy. A couple of years ago I became very active in the Youtube atheist community, which I sincerely recommend. If you gain more knowledge, you'd actually be able to confront your parents, and tell them why you're an atheist. Right now, they probably see an atheist as a god-hating Satan worshipper. There are enormous misconceptions about atheism in the US. Prepare yourself. Study what you believe in so that when the time is right, you'll be able to explain to your parents just why you don't believe in those bronze-age fairy tales that they do. If you come out now, unprepared, you'll probably have no idea what to say except that it's illogical.

If they were going to listen to rationality they wouldn't be Pentecostal anymore.

Do not take any chances with this, dude. It is NOT worth it.

Quote by osXtiger

No, they wouldn't. As long as your child is alive, healthy, and attending school, it doesn't really matter to them.
My League of Legends stream
The morning will come
In the press of every kiss
With your head upon my chest

Where I will annoy you
With every waking breath
Until you, decide to wake up
Page 1 of 5