So, i was thinking "I hate this goddamn boss". It's noisy, has no bass, flat mid range and thin treble, everything an overdrive shouldn't be, and not fit for the role of boosting my JCM800 well into metal territory.

For months I've been looking for a replacement, then realized, I need two pedals to do what I want.

I'm thinking an EQ as a rhythm boost (MXR M-108) and an OD as a solo boost (Original TS-808/Something boutique???). I'm willing to spend $US200 on an EQ and around $US300 on an Overdrive.

OD needs to have a full bass, strong mids (to put me at the front of the mix, but not be all honky) and smooth treble.

Second opinions? Better recommendations (especially on the overdrive)?

PS: Sorry for the wall of text... And I hate Slayer
Guitars:
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Gibson Explorer New Century
Gibson RD Artist
Fender American Standard Telecaster

Amps:

Framus Cobra
Marshall JCM800 2203 - 1960A

Pedals:

Crybaby 535Q
Rockbox Boiling Point Overdrive
For the EQ, just get an MXR 10-Band M-108. That leaves you with about $380 for the OD. At that point, you should get a Maxon OD808 to boost for heavier metal, and another pedal to boost for leads, something warmer. I just ordered an Xotic BB Preamp, which should be great for that, but I'll get back to you in a couple days. Meantime, you could just order a Rockbox Boiling Point or a Mad Professor Sweet Honey and be done with it.
Quote by sg4ever
+15,670,899,554,667,881,999

Quote by CullenT
+15,670,899,554,667,882,000
That was a post of sage advice. Listen to this guy TS.

Quote by AcousticMirror
my parents beat me for a's. I was like wtf and they were like just keeping you on your toes.

RG1570/PRS McCarty
Rebel 30
Like ibz said the MXR 10-band is the best thing around these days.

For a versatile overdrive I'd suggest the Xotic BB Plus, TC Electronics Nova Drive and the Blackstar HT-DUAL. All 3 of those have 2 [stackable] channels and plenty of options to help you find the perfect tone. I also hear the Maxon OD9 pro+ is good but a $200 without an EQ turns me off.

Now the tough thing is deciding on one...
Quote by )(yperX

I can really vouch for the MXR 10-band, I've had one for just about a year and I've used it to get all sorts of tonal and sound changes. It's also incredibly durable, I would know I've dropped it a few too many times.
EQ - MXR / Boss GE-7
Solo Boost - EHX LPB-1
OD - Jetter Gain Stage Gold, beauty of an overdrive.
LesPaul
Pedals
OrangeRocker30
My band
PBT Native: Resident Graphics Monkey

Quote by )(yperX

For a versatile overdrive I'd suggest the Xotic BB Plus, TC Electronics Nova Drive and the Blackstar HT-DUAL. All 3 of those have 2 [stackable] channels and plenty of options to help you find the perfect tone. I also hear the Maxon OD9 pro+ is good but a $200 without an EQ turns me off.

Now the tough thing is deciding on one...

If you're getting a dual overdrive, all of those are viable options, but I'd mainly check out the Diamond J-Drive MK3. It's really versatile, but maybe not quite what you're looking for in terms of boosting into heavy metal. Speaking of which, how heavy will you be playing, TS? Anyways, check out the Diamond:

http://proguitarshop.com/store/overdrive-pedals-c-6/diamond-pedals-j-drive-mk3-boost-overdrive-pedal-p-788
Quote by sg4ever
+15,670,899,554,667,881,999

Quote by CullenT
+15,670,899,554,667,882,000
That was a post of sage advice. Listen to this guy TS.

Quote by AcousticMirror
my parents beat me for a's. I was like wtf and they were like just keeping you on your toes.

RG1570/PRS McCarty
Rebel 30