Hi Folks,

Just bought a brand new Seagull S6 Original guitar, after being smitten by the great sound at the store. Brought it home, played it for hours, and then noticed that my fingers are killing me.

The salesperson told me that he recommends light gauge strings, and that the guitar comes with that gauge. However, to me the strings feel more like heavy gauge, or at least medium. Extremely hard to bend, even hard to play a scale run smoothly. But the chords are shimmeringly, achingly beautiful sounding!

The salesperson also claimed that Seagulls come set up almost perfectly in the factory, and that I don't need to worry about changing the action. Upon inspection, the action doesn't seem bad, and yet the guitar is devilishly hard to play. I suspect that the strings are a bit heavier gauge, so that the guitar would shine tone-wise. That's great, but I also need a playable instrument.

My question is: should I work on setting the guitar up, or should I replace the strings with lighter gauge? What's the easiest way toward reaching enjoyable playability?

I should add that I have many decades of playing under my belt, and that I've been playing classical nylon strings for many years now. I tend to think that I have pretty strong left hand, but this guitar is a murder. My fingertips really hurt, and I need some kind of a reprieve.

Thanks so much in advance!

Alex
How long have you been playing it? I only ask because the tension on any steel-string guitar is higher then a nylon-string guitar. It might be that you are still getting used to the added tension...especially if the action is acceptable.

Gear:
Partscaster/Tele into a bunch of pedals, a Maz 18 head, and a Z Best cab.
^This. Steel-string acoustics are the most devilishly painful guitars to get used to playing. Eventually you'll be alright though. Sounds to me like you've been playing nylons and electrics up until now, so the transition will be a bit painful, but not as bad as it would be for someone just starting out.
Quote by necrosis1193
As usual Natrone's mouth spouts general win.

Quote by Silverstein14
man, Natrone you're some kind of ninja I swear

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

i realize the longshot that is. little giant to humongous one.

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
Quote by obeythepenguin
My advice is to stick with light gauge, but switch to a different string brand -- I believe silk and steels are supposed to be pretty bendy? If it's still giving you trouble, I'd consider a different gauge and/or setup.

+1. i remember my seagull arriving with some stiff strings on it. i love d'addarios, but i think any light (i go with 12 gauges) strings will help.

that, and if you're not used to playing a steel string acoustic that could also affect it. either way you'll get used to it. then it won't be "it sounds good but hurts to play," it'll just be "it sounds great!"
Warmoth Telecaster Deluxe. Warmoth Strat. Seagull Artist Portrait Acoustic.

"Well good God damn and other such phrases, I haven't heard a beat like this in ages!"
-Dan Le Sac Vs The Scroobius Pip
You guys are awesome! Thanks to all who replied, this is extremely helpful.

Yes, I am mostly a nylon/electric guitar player. I used to play a rather nice BC Rich acoustic steel string (super easy to play, sounded a bit cheapo), but it disappeared on me a few years ago. Now with Seagull, I'm experiencing some adjusting pains.

I'll follow your advice and restring. See what happens (I'll report back here

Once again, long live the ultimate guitar community!

Alex
my last seagull arrived with 13's, not lights. also most of the seagulls i've played except for my parlor was set up too high for me, and i've talked to other seagull owners who felt the same. the first thing i did with my s6 was have the action lowered, and after that it played like a dream.
BTW, TS, that's an absolutely fantastic acoustic for what you paid as well. Congrats on it!

Y'know, of all the Seagulls I've tried I can't ever remember thinking that they felt stiff
Quote by necrosis1193
As usual Natrone's mouth spouts general win.

Quote by Silverstein14
man, Natrone you're some kind of ninja I swear

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

i realize the longshot that is. little giant to humongous one.

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
i think you just need time to adjust to a steel string acoustic. forget about spending more money to fix the problem.
Schecter Diamond Series C-1 Elite
Roland Cube 30x
Blueridge BR-143
I have a bit of a good news. After getting the advice from you guys, I went to the local guitar shop up the street, and asked them to help me fix my Seagull. Explained to them how I'm finding the guitar tough to play. They asked me to leave it with them for an hour, in order to set her up. They even suggested I put a set of silk steel strings, to ease up the tension.

Once they were done, I found that the silk steel strings sounded like crap, so I upgraded to D'Addario's light gauge strings, and voila! the guitar now plays and sounds like butter.

Not sure if it was just the strings, or the combination of strings and the setup, but I'm finally happy with this beauty.

Many thanks to all of you who guided me along the way!

Alex