I'm fairly new to guitars, all my playing has been on a housemate's old acoustic. I'd like to get a electric guitar.

1) I'm not into heavy rock or metal anything like that...no crazy distortions or anything. The style I'd like to be playing is more folk-rock, americana type music. Think the Felice Brothers, Deer Tick or Two Gallants style. So i guess I'm looking for a warmer tone.

2) Price range around 300, no more than 400.

Can someone educate me whether a hollow, semi hollow, or solid body is a better choice, and what guitar would be best for the money?

I know I should go to a local store and play what they have, but I'm a poor college student and if I could save a boatload with a good knockoff I'd be down.

Thanks
Last edited by Halebopp at Nov 30, 2009,
Epi Dot or Ibanez Artcore model.

Maybe an xavier semi-hollow model

WARNING!: THIS USER HAS BEEN KNOWN TO BE AN OPINIONATED ASS. ALWAYS USE CAUTION WHEN READING POSTS AND NEVER USE NEAR AN OPEN FLAME.USE ONLY AS DIRECTED.KEEP OUT OF REACH OF CHILDREN.

Last edited by Pr0gNut at Nov 30, 2009,
If you're willing to go used you can get some real quality guitars in your price range.

If you can look for a used MIM strat or used MIM tele
Quote by EchoxOath
SG has officially won this thread.
Quote by RazorTheAwesome
there are no words to describe how truly epic this is.

Quote by SGstriker
I think you win the award for the coolest member of '08
Also - my hands aren't that big so I'd rather have a thinner/narrower neck...

Any other specifics if I were to look at used? Any other new ones that stand out?

Thanks a lot everyone.
Last edited by Halebopp at Dec 1, 2009,