Page 1 of 2
I read the other thread about an Ibanez S470, and a few people said that its was very good for pretty much any genre. Are there any others for about the same price? Maybe $1000 max?
I'll pretty much play any genre, and I like to play certain ones, but to play with my friends I'll have to play some kind of metal band. I wouldn't mind knowing what other good "jack-of-all-trade" guitars there are out there, even if they are above my budget.
Caution:
This post may contain my opinion and/or inaccurate information.

Current Rig:
2006 PRS CE-24
Mesa/Boogie Mark V
Voltage S212 w/ V30's
Strymon Timeline
CMATMods Signa Drive
TC Electronics Corona & Hall of Fame
well an HSS strat with a SD JB in the bridge and a SD lil 59' in the neck is a pretty sick jack of all trades guitar
2008 M.I.A. HSS Strat
Marshall JCM 900 50w Dual Reverb
Last edited by LPstudioWRz28 at Nov 30, 2009,
Well a Les Paul would certainly be the most versatile, and a Gibson Studio is within your price range. If you want a better metalz guitar, than I would suggest looking at some ESP's, but they migh not serve as well in other styles of music.
Most HSS or HSH superstrats will be fairly versatile.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I find the Schecter c-1 classic and Stiletto classic to be very versatile guitars,especially the stiletto.Don't let the EMG pups fool you,they can be very versatile and the 81TW/SA/SA set can nail pretty much any tone you want with some simple control and EQ adjustments.It also has a very nice Ghoto FR,which felt great every time I've tried it.

WARNING!: THIS USER HAS BEEN KNOWN TO BE AN OPINIONATED ASS. ALWAYS USE CAUTION WHEN READING POSTS AND NEVER USE NEAR AN OPEN FLAME.USE ONLY AS DIRECTED.KEEP OUT OF REACH OF CHILDREN.

I think HSS Strat is your answer here. A Strat is the first thing that comes to mind for me when I think of a "jack-of-all-trades" guitar. I'd leave a single in the neck rather than a mini-bucker as suggested above though. That sound is the most distinctively Strat to me.
Quote by necrosis1193
As usual Natrone's mouth spouts general win.

Quote by Silverstein14
man, Natrone you're some kind of ninja I swear

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

i realize the longshot that is. little giant to humongous one.

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
Gibson: LP, SG
Fender: Strat, Tele
Gear

Fender Mustang

Fender Telecaster

Fender Frontman 212R

Johnson Marquis JM60

Devi Ever Rocket

Boss Super Phaser

Dunlop Cry Baby GCB-95

Electro-Harmonix Big Muff Pi (NYC)
Just for shiggles, whats a Firebird good for? Just for curiosity's sake.
Caution:

Current Rig:
2006 PRS CE-24
Mesa/Boogie Mark V
Voltage S212 w/ V30's
Strymon Timeline
CMATMods Signa Drive
js-100 or 1000
they kick ASS

LPs, SGs, and double necks are also nice
Survivor of:
Maryland Deathfest X
Maryland Deathfest XI
Maryland Deathfest XII
Quote by AWACS

EVERYTHING
and nothing
Survivor of:
Maryland Deathfest X
Maryland Deathfest XI
Maryland Deathfest XII
Quote by AWACS

Hmm...well it won't do metal unless you replace the bridge pup...I think. Firebirds are kind of an annomaly to me. They have a tone that is very much unique to them which I'm sure is largely due in part to the mini-buckers. Oh, they're also one of the most sexy creations to ever come out of Gibson.
Quote by necrosis1193
As usual Natrone's mouth spouts general win.

Quote by Silverstein14
man, Natrone you're some kind of ninja I swear

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

i realize the longshot that is. little giant to humongous one.

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
Quote by Natrone
Hmm...well it won't do metal unless you replace the bridge pup...I think. Firebirds are kind of an annomaly to me. They have a tone that is very much unique to them which I'm sure is largely due in part to the mini-buckers. Oh, they're also one of the most sexy creations to ever come out of Gibson.

Pretty much why I asked.
Caution:

Current Rig:
2006 PRS CE-24
Mesa/Boogie Mark V
Voltage S212 w/ V30's
Strymon Timeline
CMATMods Signa Drive
pretty much all solid body guitars that aren't strictly geared towards metal will be pretty versatile.
TBH I've always found electric guitars to be very versatile with the great factor that needs to be known is if the player can pull of the genre's. Anyway what type of bridge do you want? I think that's probably only going to be your factor that needs to be decided.
Amp = most of your tone. A squier bullet can pull off children of bodom put in front of a mesa boogie triple rec. not as well as the esp alexi uses mind you, but it can.

Schecters are known for having coil taps which can be useful for versatility, but honestly I'd go with an H-S-S ibanez if I were you, such as an S series. I definitely just spelled Ibanez with an S. too early for this shit, lol. breakfast time.

Schecter, Ibanez S-series, or les paul. Pick one, they all work. They have wood, shiny shit on em, and strings. They all do their job very well. Ima get some damn pancakes.
Quote by fly135
Great list Rutch. On re-reading this one I'd have to say Solid State means not liquid or gas.

I figured it out.
Ideally, a Stratocaster type guitar would be ideal. 22 frets, loaded H-S-H and coil tap the bridge and neck humbucker. So much tonal variation.

Many companies make Strat kind of guitar that can do all that. Jackson Dinky/Soloist Series, Ibanez RG, Fender Strat...

You could get a Piezo too. Then you'd be set for anything haha
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Quote by LPstudioWRz28
well an HSS strat with a SD JB in the bridge and a SD lil 59' in the neck is a pretty sick jack of all trades guitar

I'd have to agree. It would be a great guitar.
Or maybe it might be worth trying a preloaded Lace Sensor pickguard. that'd be the easiest. I'd say get the Red-Silver-Blue combo. It would be insanely versatile.
http://www.lacemusic.com/electric_pickups/Loaded_Pguards.php
I'd say Ibanez is more of a hard rock/metal guitar then a jack of all trades...

I know it's cliche but I'd say for for the SG. Both Epiphone and Gibson make models in your range. Also, the Fender Starts, specifically the HSS in my opinion, work all around. Also PRS is kind of a neutral, not to out there but still awesome.
Definitely a HSS strat.
WARNING:This post contains explicit portrayals of violence; sex; violent sex; sexual violence; clowns and violent scenes of violent excess, which are definitely not suitable for all audiences.
Anyone know of any fairly cheap HSS Strat's out there? I most likely wouldn't buy a Fender, but are there any guitar's like the Fender, without the big brand name?
Caution:

Current Rig:
2006 PRS CE-24
Mesa/Boogie Mark V
Voltage S212 w/ V30's
Strymon Timeline
CMATMods Signa Drive
Quote by AWACS
Anyone know of any fairly cheap HSS Strat's out there? I most likely wouldn't buy a Fender, but are there any guitar's like the Fender, without the big brand name?

A MIM Strat is really good for the money if you ask me. Mines been beat to hell and back and is still one of the best sounding/playing guitars. Here's a link if you want to check it out.
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Fender-Standard-Stratocaster-HSS-Electric-Guitar?sku=501160

But if you want a cheaper Strat clone to get you started, might I recommend you look at this cutie. This was my first electric guitar back in 1996 and has been by my side ever since. Good way to go until you can afford a more expensive one.
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Yamaha-PAC112J-Electric-Guitar?sku=511077
Quote by AWACS

godin, maybe? I know of several good ones over here in Europe, but I don't think they're as easily available in the USA...
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
This was pretty much my criteria when I was in the market, and I settled on the Ibanez S520EX. It's a great looking axe and the neck is fast. No regrets. It is suitable for metal, but is also good all-around. It's very light weight. My shoulder is pretty happy. It's gotten really good reviews everywhere I looked when I was researching.

The only thing I'm going to change are the stock pickups for an 81/85 combo, and I'm not really crazy about the 12th fret inlay (and lack of them on the remainder of the neck).
Ibanez makes the SV5470F which could do a bunch of different pickup configurations, HSS, HSH...but it may be out of your price range. And in my opinion you may be stuck with a bunch of in between sounds that don't sound quite Gibson or Fender ish, but maybe thats what you want. I picked up a Laguna 924 recently which I feel is pretty versitile which is what I was looking for. It has a Humbucker in the bridge and a small humbucker in the neck which can be split, both Dimarzio so you can get your crunchy metal sounds, split the bridge and get funky cleans and so on, check it out. It sounds like you would need some type of hybrid 'super' strat like guitar, Humbucker in the bridge and mini humbucker or coil tapped pickup in the neck. The amp makes a big difference too in versitility. Hope that helps..
Last edited by Chris Fury at Dec 2, 2009,
peavey hp special usa or ex depending on how far your willing to go for tonal control , the usa is about 1200 the ex is bout 450 they are the most versital i have played and ive had 2 les paul custom a slew of ibanez's, fenders and a schecter and im a tone chaser so yeah id go for a hp special.
Quote by Ishiga
Amp = most of your tone. A squier bullet can pull off children of bodom put in front of a mesa boogie triple rec.

This really couldn't be any more true. I've seen a band using a Squier telecaster through a Dual Rectifier and getting phenomenal tone.
Quote by Spitz13
**** you, i live in uruguay.
I had an Ibanez S470 and an Ibanez RG550. The S470 was nice, but the RG550 was better. Very versatile. I play everything from hard rock back to the old classics, covers it all and most importantly... stays in tune for a whole set (unlike my Les Paul).
Just out of curiosity what exactly makes a guitar good for more styles/genres than any other guitar..?
ability to get a wide range of tones?
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Cort M900
Semi hollow, SD JB/59 & Peizo
Will do anything from acoustic to metal.
I pick up my guitar and play
Just like Yesterday

T C Ellis Series 2 LP w/Skatterbrane Quiescence pups
Cort EVL-K6
Yamaha RGX211 modded
H&S Electric 12-string
Shaftsbury Ricki 4001
'84 Fender Yale
Roland Cube 15x

I've heard mixed opinions about this but the Epiphone Les Paul ultra II has 2 humbuckers, classic les paul specks, the nanomag acoustic pickup system, a chambered body, sounds pretty versatile to me and it looks really nice
here's a link
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Epiphone-Les-Paul-UltraII-Electric-Guitar?sku=515624
or u could just get a Gibson Les Paul studio
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Gibson-Les-Paul-Studio-Electric-Guitar?sku=517030
i like Les Pauls but the hss Strat would be a good bet too. i would get the highway one series and put a seymour duncan jb in the bridge
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Fender-Highway-One-HSS-Stratocaster?sku=512870
Quote by AWACS

You could go used, but for the money, Fender usually dosent attach that much money to their name, deffinatly not as much as Gibson. You could but a MIM HSS strat new for $500 or used for $350. Or you could buy a new Fender MIA HSS for $1500 or used for around $1000. The MIA is going to be a much better guitar than the MIM and will hold its value much better.

I would think that Fender Stratocasters are the "jack of all trades" guitars of the musician world. I mean, they are used in every genera of music. So I say why not.
In that range I really like the Fender Deluxe Fat Strat. The necks are good, the pickups cover pretty much any ground, and the roller nut and locking tuners make the trem system reasonably usable. I'd play anything but a traditional jazz gig on it.

My Anderson is basically the some concept, but with a Floyd and slightly better workmanship. That likewise is good for nearly everything.

A Gibson ES with a varitone is a very versatile recording guitar, but not so much live.
GMW hot-rod telecaster
GMW soloist
PRS Custom 24
The Illegal Les Paul
CAE 3+SE
Soldano SM-100R
Splawn 4x12

“Life is on the wire…the rest is just waiting” - Papa Wallenda
Substitute the stage for the wire, and he's got it.
heres the thing until u have owned a strat and tryed to play, different genres of music aside from the blues and old maiden you really cant commit on their veritility, there trem systems suck they have to much wood machined out of them to get a really good deep sustained sound out of them i mean if you want to get the good ol grunge rock sound buy a strat with a bucker in it but yeah they really arent that versatile buy something with
goodtone wood that doesnt have that much taken out with good HUMBUCKERS that have coil tapping, keep the guitar simple but versitile alot of people on here are really suggesting some pretty one way sounding guitars, i mean i dont want to sound like a jerk but ibanez hasent made a quality guitar since their 80's custom shop and i unfortantely never got to play one, and that goes the same with schecter and esp, unless u wanna spend a fortune and gett one of those companys to build you a custom guitar u r always gonna get a pre fab sound.
Last edited by Mr. Tyler Baker at Dec 17, 2009,
Page 1 of 2