What's essential to get a good pop/punk tone like Mark Hoppus or Mike Dirnt from my bass. I'm using a Hondo Precision bass and 100W Fender Rumble at the moment and I was wondering if anyone could give me any EQ-ing advice or maybe suggest a few amps ($500 budget).
Forgive them Father, they know not what they do.
thats actually a pretty amp right there, if you want more tonal options you should get a Sansamp Bass Driver for $200 which was pretty much made to emulate an overdriven Ampeg, the staple of a good punk tone
My Rig
>MIM Fender Stratocaster and SX SJM-62
>various magicial noise boxes
>Peavey Classic 50 212

For the funk:
>Ibanez ATK300
>Acoustic B100
First of all, I love the sig.

2nd lotsa high mids, cut the low mids and bass and trebble should be equal.
Eg:
Bass:5
Low mid:2
High mid:8
Trebble:5

That's if your amp goes up to 11.

If its 3 band just boost the mids and a little bit of trebble.

Also hard attack is essential. So either pluck hard or pick. Whatever your preference.
Just to throw this in, if your fingers can't keep up with the fast plucking in punk (like me) and you don't like using a pick, slapping every note gets a good attack, and you can play pretty fast by just slapping. It's not good advice for stuff that's too technical, but it works great for Green Day and Blink 182. It's easier to goof off and move around, too.
My heart beats in 4/4, not the other way around.

Do your part. Join TVTropes.
I generally boost bass and treble a little bit, boost high mids a lot, leave low-mids flat. New strings are essential as well, Mark uses Ernie Ball slinkies, Mike uses Fender strings of some type, (I personally prefer a set of RotoSound 66's). And of course use a pick.

As far as amps go, both guys are using high end tube stuff - Ampeg SVT and Mesa-Boogie M-2000. If you don't have the Rumble 100/210 model already you might want to consider getting something with some 10" speakers for more of a punchy tone.

Other random things to think about since your willing to drop some money: Like RedStar said - you might want to look into some sort of overdrive to give yourself more of a grittier-dirtier-more tubish tone. You might want drop in a new pickup as well, the Seymour Duncan Quarter Pounder is a pretty standard choice (and the choice of Mark as well)
For a classic punk tone:

Bass up a bit
Low mids up quite a bit
High mids flat or near it
Highs down a bit

For a more modern tone, do what Captain Insano said.
Nope, no sig here.
I can easily say that the bass forum is the most helpful forum of UG, thanks guys. Who else thinks there should be a thread dedicated to bass punk heros?
Forgive them Father, they know not what they do.
I'm also looking for the same kind of sound.

I've got an Ampeg SVT3-pro, what would I set my EQ to for a good punk sound?

Should I increase 'bass' (50-150hz?), level out 'low mid' (150-450hz?), boost 'high mid' (450-1.2Khz?) and increase 'treble' (1.2Khz-3Khz?)?

I'm not sure which frequency bands equate to bass, low mid etc.
Quote by The Fret-Dancer
I can easily say that the bass forum is the most helpful forum of UG, thanks guys. Who else thinks there should be a thread dedicated to bass punk heros?

I agree with exactly 50% of this post.
Quote by dullsilver_mike
..Bob Barker isn't dead.

Quote by The_Casinator
Nothing is impossible if you're on acid!

Quote by Holy Katana
What if the NES breaks? WHERE IS YOUR GOD NOW?
Quote by jazz71286
I'm also looking for the same kind of sound.

I've got an Ampeg SVT3-pro, what would I set my EQ to for a good punk sound?

Should I increase 'bass' (50-150hz?), level out 'low mid' (150-450hz?), boost 'high mid' (450-1.2Khz?) and increase 'treble' (1.2Khz-3Khz?)?

I'm not sure which frequency bands equate to bass, low mid etc.

As far as i have seen i remember seeing a post by thefitz saying make it look like a frowning smile.Im pretty sure i did, cause im sure the SVT is the one with the graph EQ.
Guitar Gear
Guitar: Ibanez GRG140 (black)
Amp:Peavey Vypyr 75

Bass Gear
Bass: Fender P-bass MIM,Peavey Millenium 5 BXP (x2),Epiphone Thunderbird
Amp:Ampeg PF500 w PF210 cab
Pedals: ODB-3,Big Muff.
i find punk tone is in the way you play it but do the smiley face
I shot JR

Oh Canada Our Home and Native Land
Quote by Drmckool

Hahaha that reminded me of when I was playing in Guitar Center a number of years ago, with a totally flat EQ on an SVT 3-pro. This huge Jamaican dude came up and adjusted my EQ for me and said "hey little man, you can't play de bass witout de smiley face."

Changed my life forever

Back to the punk sound questions, I would suggest trying the previously given eq advice, and spend some time developing your attack. Picks are worth trying. For fingers, I play with a little more force then usual either above the pickup (on a single pickup bass, would be just above the lower pickup on something like a Jazz bass), or down by the bridge on faster runs. Its all preference on that, but I'd say experiment with attack and picking/plucking position.
Composite Aficionado

Spector and Markbass
Quote by Drmckool

an agressive pick attack is also a good thing :P it adds even more "power" to the sound :P
im pretty sure on early anti flag stuff you can hear the strings sometimes slap off the guitar itself xD.
Guitar Gear
Guitar: Ibanez GRG140 (black)
Amp:Peavey Vypyr 75

Bass Gear
Bass: Fender P-bass MIM,Peavey Millenium 5 BXP (x2),Epiphone Thunderbird
Amp:Ampeg PF500 w PF210 cab
Pedals: ODB-3,Big Muff.