My friend bought an A/B/Y switch from Guitar Center for like 40USD, and I told him that he was going to invest the time to use two amps live, that he should actually spend some money on a quality pedal that won't suck his tone.

I don't know what pedal he got, but it's most likely a Boss pedal and I would bet 40 bucks that it doesn't have true bypass, yet alone a buffer. Would this not suck your tone big time?

My friend said, "Nah dude. The Guitar Center guy told me it won't suck your tone", but I don't think he knows how GC employees operate.

So, would it suck your tone massively?
GEAR
Epiphone SG-400
Marshall 1987 JCM-800 2210 100W

Proud Member of:
The SG Owners Unite
Marshall Amplification
EHX Users Guild

The True Eccentric Tea Drinking Appreciation Preservation Society

it's probably a Morley...but they really don't suck tone too badly..i've used one
http://www.youtube.com/user/chuckmehh
Randall RM100/Basson Cab
DBX166XL/BBE Sonic Maximizer
Boss NS-2, sCream Cheese 2.0 OD, Zakk Wylde wah
Custom Epiphones
Monster Cables
Awe-in-One picks..and more
just cause its cheap doesnt mean it will suck your tone. i mean sure, it might, but it really depends on what it is. the boss aby pedal is more than $40, so its probably not that. dont actually see anything on their website that is aby and under $50 actually. however if he got it this weekend (big sale) he may have gotten a deal on something and it could be nice. without knowing what it is, i cant say its bad just because of the price.
Quote by Xhale1
boss pedals suck...period

do you have any idea what you are talking about? like, really?
He should have got a passive A/B box instead. No battery or adapter required. No signal loss either. Something like the EH Nano Switchblade or a SignalFlex unit like I bought for $24.
MARSHALL JVM 210H
PEAVEY JSX
KRANK 412
MESA 412
FENDER STRATS
DIMARZIO
CELESTION
Quote by forsaknazrael
Bypass will be fine. The issue would be potential hum coming from the bypassed and unused amp.

If he got himself a hum debugger would that take care of it?

Also. He's trying to wire one cabinet into essentially two 2x12's housed in one cab. Which I said is possible but he doesn't have enough electrical experience. What does anyone think about that?
GEAR
Epiphone SG-400
Marshall 1987 JCM-800 2210 100W

Proud Member of:
The SG Owners Unite
Marshall Amplification
EHX Users Guild

The True Eccentric Tea Drinking Appreciation Preservation Society

It's actually easy. Just needs to look up a diagram, if he doesn't know what he's doing.

As for the hum debugger...Maybe. I'm unsure of how effective they are.

The problem is that the unused amp input isn't being grounded. Fulltone.com has a great free diagram on how to wire a proper AB box.

The Switchblade CAN have the same problems. The hum isn't always the case. Clearly, you don't have the problem?
Quote by Xhale1
boss pedals suck...period

have you play the black label one?

i dont think so
Quote by angusfan16
I got my sister pregnant once. Yeah, that was awkward, but mostly because she's 6 years younger than me.
Vague thread is immensly vague...

Since we don't know what pedal we're dealing with here there's not really much I can tell you. Just try it and if it gives hum or anything else undesirable take it back and then tell him to build his own. I built a working one with no prior electrical or soldering experience so it's really not that hard.
LesPaul
Pedals
OrangeRocker30
My band
PBT Native: Resident Graphics Monkey

Quote by SimplyBen
Vague thread is immensly vague...

Since we don't know what pedal we're dealing with here there's not really much I can tell you. Just try it and if it gives hum or anything else undesirable take it back and then tell him to build his own. I built a working one with no prior electrical or soldering experience so it's really not that hard.

Yea....this...
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals