So, Santy Clause is going to bring me a Zvex Fuzz Factory, and I'm also in the market for a quality overdrive that will compliment my Marshall JCM-800 2210 100 watter and add a thicker, ballsier tone to my solo and lead work, and boost any heavy riffing that I wanna further boost with my Metal Muff.

I've narrowed my search down to this basically.

Ibanez TS-9, which I might mod myself later.

Ibanez TubeKing999HT.

I've played the Bad Monkey Overdrive and was extremely disappointed with it. It's very overblown.

Budget isn't really a problem. I play 80's and 90's rock, with some modern influence like Muse or HIM.

Help appreciated.
GEAR
Epiphone SG-400
Marshall 1987 JCM-800 2210 100W

Proud Member of:
The SG Owners Unite
Marshall Amplification
EHX Users Guild

The True Eccentric Tea Drinking Appreciation Preservation Society

The Ibanez TS-9 is fine for what you want to do. I don't see why you wouldn't like the Bad Monkey though, it's just a clone of the TS-9 but with a shittier bypass. Don't go for the Tube King though, I find it doesn't sound organic except at high-gain settings, and at that point it's more of a distortion than an OD. You might also wanna look into a Fulltone OCD or a Timmy. Danelectro makes Cool Cat clones of both of those, I believe.
Quote by Rockford_rocks
HENDRIX WAS NOT MEANT TO GO WOOBLYWOOBLYWOOBLYWOOBLY!

Quote by boboguitar
The Ibanez TS-9 is fine for what you want to do. I don't see why you wouldn't like the Bad Monkey though, it's just a clone of the TS-9 but with a shittier bypass. Don't go for the Tube King though, I find it doesn't sound organic except at high-gain settings, and at that point it's more of a distortion than an OD. You might also wanna look into a Fulltone OCD or a Timmy. Danelectro makes Cool Cat clones of both of those, I believe.

Right on. I tried the Danelectro, and it wasn't bad, just not what I was looking for.

I've heard of Fulltone before, but I never got around to trying it.
GEAR
Epiphone SG-400

Proud Member of:
The SG Owners Unite
Marshall Amplification
EHX Users Guild

I'd go with the TS-9. Never played the other ones, but I know the Badmonkey is just a TS-9 clone.

Btw, JCM800 2210 eh? What do those sound like? Never played one but I heard they're higher gain than the 2203.
TS9s sound rank with Marshalls, but that's just my opinion, ymmv.

I'd go with something like a Paul C Timmy. Those are the best options with Marshalls imo.
Quote by CaptDin
I'd go with the TS-9. Never played the other ones, but I know the Badmonkey is just a TS-9 clone.

Btw, JCM800 2210 eh? What do those sound like? Never played one but I heard they're higher gain than the 2203.

I think the 2203 has a bit more classic sound, but the 2210 is clearer on higher gains, plus it has a clean channel that's alright.
GEAR
Epiphone SG-400

Proud Member of:
The SG Owners Unite
Marshall Amplification
EHX Users Guild

Fulltone all the way. Also look at some of the Zvex overdrives they are nice as well.
Quote by Weeping_Demon7
I think the 2203 has a bit more classic sound, but the 2210 is clearer on higher gains, plus it has a clean channel that's alright.

Cool... someone's selling an 83 2210 on my local craigslist and I was considering aiming for it once I got the money (which is hopefully soon). But I may just hold out for a 2203 (damn hard to find around here, you see tons of 2204s but no 2203s). Anyways, sorry for sort-of-hijacking your thread.
Quote by CaptDin
Cool... someone's selling an 83 2210 on my local craigslist and I was considering aiming for it once I got the money (which is hopefully soon). But I may just hold out for a 2203 (damn hard to find around here, you see tons of 2204s but no 2203s). Anyways, sorry for sort-of-hijacking your thread.

All good. They are both world class amps. Mine's a 87 2210.
GEAR
Epiphone SG-400

Proud Member of:
The SG Owners Unite
Marshall Amplification
EHX Users Guild

Fulltone OCD
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
The bad monkey as a standalone overdrive is terrible imo, but as a boost its great. I can only recommend the danelectro cool cat drive, a clone of the fulltone thats if yuo can find a v1 still.
Agile AL3000
Douglas WRL90
SX SR1 STD Plus
J&D Strat
Squier Tele
Sammick TR2
Douglas Draco
Peavey JSX
Bugera V5
TWANGED VJ