I have a bass, guitar, keyboard and microphone but don't know a drummer and definately can't afford a drum set. I was looking into drum machines as a way to record my own songs. What is a good drum machine I can get for under 200 dollars? I got this drum setting thing on my keyboard but it sounds so shitty it sounds like cereal bowls being shattered with a baseball bat. Does this look respectable:

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Alesis-SR-16-Stereo-Drum-Machine-100303451-i1154731.gc

Anyway I've always been a huge noob at drumming so I don't really know what to do. I need an easy to use machine. I read somehwere King Diamond (my hero) used a drum machine for his Eye album but idk if this is true.
I reccomend the boss DR-3 over that Alesis machine.you can also get a computer program like FL Studio and program your drums that way, which I generally prefer since it gives you pretty much unlimited options in terms of samples and sample editing.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
For recording I'd recommend Addictive Drums (software). Much more realistic sounding and you've got an enormous range of options, though it isn't as user-friendly as a hardware durm machine if you're not used to computer recording.
Bulb from Periphery records drums with EZdrummer Drumkit From Hell. Animals as Leaders was also recorded with VST drums insted of a real drummer. The sound from this software is great - just listen to some Animals as Leaders on youtube.com and you'll know what I mean.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Ho4-tExpTE&feature=PlayList&p=7B21E57EAFBE6015&index=0&playnext=1

I never even thaught that these drums were not recorded by a real drummer until my friend told me that, lol.
Gear:
Parker Nitefly-M
Carvin DC 727 Custom w/ Bare Knuckle Pickups
ENGL E625 Fireball 60
BM 2x12" Celestion Vintage30 Custom cab
Line6 POD x3 Live
Behringer V-Tone GMX210, lol.

www.serpentia.pl
www.soundcloud.com/harpo777
The track from Animals as Leaders, the drums on that sound impressive for simulated drums. Thanks a million dude you just opened my eyes to great software! I've heard of it but wow didn't think that it was that good
Quote by Exhume2Consume
The track from Animals as Leaders, the drums on that sound impressive for simulated drums. Thanks a million dude you just opened my eyes to great software! I've heard of it but wow didn't think that it was that good

the quality of programmed drums is entirely in the person programming them.
its a skill just like any other musical skill.

so if you really know what your doing they can be virtually indistinguishable from "real" drums
Well my current method for drums, is using software that is virtually unknown in comparison to the bigger brands.

By using guitar pro to write the midi patterns, then export the drum track to a midi file, open the drum software, import that midi file, then use the drum software to then extract all individual drum piece's to individual tracks and convert them to WAV. then use editing software to bring up the wave drum tracks by going to "add sound" under the "sound" tab, could be different with different software. And set my volumes, Add E.Q, set snare pitch so it sounds a bit more like my actual human drummer's snare, add reverb etc etc. The reason I've never been able to try any better software is because

A. I have poor broadband with limits on downloading.
B. I don't use Credit cards. And in a case of buying in shops, not a hope where I live.

But with that VERY cheap alternative I can create somewhat decent drums, it requires a bit more effort but an in all, its about 100mb's to download excluding Guitar Pro which is about 500mb. But more importantly free except guitar pro, €60 or free .. Illegally obviously. I'm sure its just one of many cheapskate ways of doing it But it works.
But sadly its nothing to what I just heard on that A&L track.
Quote by TheDriller
the quality of programmed drums is entirely in the person programming them.
its a skill just like any other musical skill.

so if you really know what your doing they can be virtually indistinguishable from "real" drums

Yeah, thats 100% right. I guess that the most important thing is mixing the drums with other instruments; and it doesn't matter wheter we're talking about 'real' drums or VST ones.

While listening to AAL, I observed that the hihats, crash and other cymbals are panned to both right and/or left while leaving the center for the snare and base drum. Drum rolls are panned all across the spectrum... so the roll comes like from the far right to far left. I wonder if there are some tutorials how to mix drums? How do you guys do it?

About recording with VST - I've seen people using DKFH with Cubase. They just write the drum track in some midi editing program (ex. GP, FL etc), export the midi track and open it in Cubase. They make a midi track for it and use the VST instrument in the output section of the channel. Then you can change the pan, volume, dynamics (etc.) for every tom, hihat, whatsoever in DKFH without exporting every separate track in audio and mixing it - you gain a lot of time that way ; - ) And effects are great - just search youtube.com for some videos with DKFH and Cubase.
Gear:
Parker Nitefly-M
Carvin DC 727 Custom w/ Bare Knuckle Pickups
ENGL E625 Fireball 60
BM 2x12" Celestion Vintage30 Custom cab
Line6 POD x3 Live
Behringer V-Tone GMX210, lol.

www.serpentia.pl
www.soundcloud.com/harpo777
uhh, Cubase is a MIDI sequencer. Also I tend to dislike DKH, because the samples have way too much compression on them and also because it's really sloppily coded and has way too big of a CPU hit for a drum sampler.

Last.fm
Drum Kit from Hell and the Toontrack series in general seem to be the most realistic sounding drums for a VST. I have used them personally on my recordings a couple of times and I think on one of the Meshuggah albums it consisted entirely of Drum Kit from Hell as their drummer helped develop it, i'm sure of it.
Quote by jailedmenonly
Drum Kit from Hell and the Toontrack series in general seem to be the most realistic sounding drums for a VST. I have used them personally on my recordings a couple of times and I think on one of the Meshuggah albums it consisted entirely of Drum Kit from Hell as their drummer helped develop it, i'm sure of it.

Then you abviously don't have much experience with sampling, the only real benefit I can see to ysing it is that it's really quick and easy for people who don't know how to use a normal sampler plug-in...

Last.fm
I think that the Ez drummer and DFH pack is very good for people who want drums, without doing any work to them at all, but by using samples and something like aptrigga, you can get so much better sounding drums! That ****ing snare on DFH is what really lets it down for me, its just so compressed.
Quote by muckypup
I think that the Ez drummer and DFH pack is very good for people who want drums, without doing any work to them at all, but by using samples and something like aptrigga, you can get so much better sounding drums! That ****ing snare on DFH is what really lets it down for me, its just so compressed.

Yeah, the kick is EQ'd really weird too (even the supposedly "neutral one") I also managed to overload my CPU by making it roll the bass and the snare at the same time, there's no fucking reason a sampler should do that.

Last.fm