hi, what are the best tubes to use for a 6505+ pre's and powers, to really get that bottom end and grind sound?
Gear List:
Guitars:
Schecter C7 Hellraiser
Jackson JS20 Dinky
Ibanez MTM1 (Slipknot Signature)
Amps:
Peavey 6505+ Head (with Grill Mod)
Cab and Effects:
Orange PPC412(BLK)
Boss NS-2 Noise Supressor
Ive got a quad set of matched JJ 6l6's in my 5150 and they rock. Ive read good things.
1981 Gibson Les Paul Custom (Black Beauty)
1980 Marshall JMP 2204
im thinking im gunna get both replaced both power and pre's
Gear List:
Guitars:
Schecter C7 Hellraiser
Jackson JS20 Dinky
Ibanez MTM1 (Slipknot Signature)
Amps:
Peavey 6505+ Head (with Grill Mod)
Cab and Effects:
Orange PPC412(BLK)
Boss NS-2 Noise Supressor
Better question...

how do you want to morph the tone of the 6505+?
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
Stay away from both Groove Tubes and JJ's. Both have QA issues and so many people get DOA's or ones that bust soon after purchase.

You're best off with Tung-Sol, TAD, Winged =C= and Electro Harmonix.

Get a quad of one of those and a Tung-Sol 12AX7 in V1 with Penta 12AX7's in the rest of the gain stages. Also get your 6505+ bias modded if you haven't already done so, it'll make a huge improvement to your tone. Peavey ships them really cold from the factory.
Quote by ShallowEndings
Well i have in my 6262:

JJ KT77's x4
JJ 12AXT7 x 6

Putting KT-77s in a 6505+ is not a good idea though

Quote by )(yperX
Stay away from both Groove Tubes and JJ's. Both have QA issues and so many people get DOA's or ones that bust soon after purchase.

First time I've heard that one... I'd stay away from GTs just because they suck IMO... most of them are relabelled EHs though if I'm not mistaken...?

But I've used JJs in many, many amps and I've never gotten a lemon
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Last edited by MatrixClaw at Dec 1, 2009,
I've used JJ's all the time for three amps now and haven't gotten lemons either.

I find JJ preamp tubes sound darker. I actually like EH tubes a bit better actually.
Agile AL3000
Douglas WRL90
SX SR1 STD Plus
J&D Strat
Squier Tele
Sammick TR2
Douglas Draco
Peavey JSX
Bugera V5
TWANGED VJ
Yeah I've just heard countless horror stories about JJ's. Sometimes people get good sets and like'em, sometimes people get 2 bad sets in a row.

Yeah I forgot to put, GT tubes blow so stay away.

I just say forgo all that and stick with quality brands like the ones I mentioned above.
I've never really had a problem with JJ, GT, Sovtek and the like reliability wise. Tone wise, I can never be satisfied with one brand of tube for the preamp. I like to find the best sounding preamp tube and place it in V1. The Phase inverter always gets a 5751 tube. As for power tubes, check out the S.E.D. =C= 6L6GC . Very complex and harmonic tone from this tube. Had them in my Fender Hot Rod Deluxe.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
So im in the same boat as this guy for different reasons, but im for SURE changing my Powertubes, will these 4 alone really make that much of a difference in tone? and i have the 6505 212 so when i think about it i dont even think it has 4, but what would be good cheaper end powertubes to put in it?
If so many people get bad JJs why are they so popular? And why have I never gotten a bad one?

The only bad tubes I ever bought were a set of Sovteks...go figure
╠═══════╬═══════╣

Tap Tempo Tap Dancer of τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

MINION of the"I drive a stick cause I'm better than you!!" Club

PM TehNez or IbanezPlayer27 to join.

EHX Users Guild. Bugera Users Militia
The MXR Lounge
I find it interesting that everyone who slams JJ's, and/or recommends Winged C's for the 6505 have never actually put them in a 6505 or 6505+(or have they? Please correct me here). They speak highly of how the =C= sound in a Fender, or a Vox, or even a Marshall, but never the 6505+.

Keep in mind that one set of tubes is not going to sound good in every amp, and not every set of tubes you put in an amp is gonna sound best with the same EQ settings.
Tastes like chicken, if chicken was a candy.
has anyone tried Groove Tubes????

I'm thinking about switching to Tung-Sol for some more clarity but didnt see anyone discuss GT's..
JJs sound great in that amp. I've bought a lot of them over the past few years and I've only had two go bad early -- and the dealer replaced them free of charge. I don't find them to be overly dark, either.

I'm a big fan of JJ's 5751 in V1. JJ 12 AT7 in PI position. 12AX7s everywhere else. Definitely buy a matched set of their 6L6s.

The 5751 in V1 helps clean up some fizz and really improves clarity on big chords even when using lots of gain. Helps with your clean channel too. I have also tried a JJ ECC803 (a long plate 12ax7) and they sound sweet as well, but a little different. The best way I can describe that tube is that it gives a richer tone in the mids section. (Keep in mind, you should only run that tube if your amp is a head -- they are very sensitive to vibration). At the moment, I still prefer my 5751 in that position because it's a little tighter and the bass is a little stronger.

The 12AT7 in the PI position REALLY helps your clean channel but doesn't cut down on the amp's brutality in any way.

I may be biased because JJs are the only brand I've tried other than the stock Rubys that came with my amp. The JJs have been a huge improvement. Keep in mind, when you buy Groove Tubes or Rubys, you might be paying double for tubes that are JJs anyway. (Neither of those two companies make tubes, they just rebrand other tubes and mark them up). The Rubys I have, however, are Chinese-made Shugiuens (spelling is undoubtedly incorrect on that, lol). They sound like ass.
Atmospheric dark metal w/ black and death metal influences:
(My Soundcloud page):

Pestilential Flood