I want to start getting into making really spacey and ambient music using my bass, i have some pedals but they arent really "effects", they just sort of shape my tone. I want to get a multi effects pedal or a couple stomp boxes. what pedals would you recommend?

Thanks Guys
Synth pedal and some sort of pitch modulation (chorus, flange, etc.) is what I'd get. So like, Ibanez SB-7 and a Digitech Bass Chorus? I own the former one, you can get some pretty weird noises out of that'un...
BOSS Bass Chorus. Sounds like you're underwater.

Quote by dullsilver_mike
The resonant frequency of the clitoris is too low for the guitar players to take care of.

Quote by jackers1234
you sir, have just won for this statement. =D

Young Knees
phaser, chorus, flanger.

red witch has some interesting offerings.

a good fuzz could help a lot, along with the application of harmonics.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
A good digital delay can give some good effects, and make the sound feel fuller. That and a loop pedal will also help. Its not really a spacey or ambient effect, a fuzz pedal or a cheap guitar distortion pedal like the Boss DS-1 could be good for background noise.

Some people mentioned synth pedals, and I have one thing to say about that. I own a Boss SYB-5 Bass Synth. I love it to death, but it's really impractical to use. If you do get a synth pedal, perhaps go with the digitech bass synth wah. Its cheaper, offers some cool tones, and has an octave down feature if i remember correctly.
thanks for the amazing info guys! and actually i do possess a ehx bass big muff i could use, and a ibanez de-7 delay! but i think i might just go with a digitech multieffect unit so i could use a bunch of effects and just play around, and make some craaaaazy patches. plus it has a whammy pedal..

PS: im really wishing i didnt sell my BP200 right now.....i was young and stupid when i let go of that thing..
I would just add 1-2 more pedals, when used in too large of a multitude, pedals can suck away the natural sound of your bass. you don;t need a multifx, a phaser or flanger would finish the sound a lot better, IMO.

it's all your choice. the sound I'm picturing is a sound like Portugal. The Man's AKA M80 The Wolf.

what do you have in mind?
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard

I would go for a phaser myself since you already have a delay.

And if you are really set on getting a BP200, PM me, I'm selling mine.
i kinda want my bass to sound like a totally different instrument, i cant really think of an example. i want to create something new and unheard of. i want to experiment with upper octaves and feedback. but im actually diggin Portugal. The Man...never heard them until today..
^I can beat her price with a Boss ME20B...

it's broken though, so that may not be saying much...

EDIT: of course you are diggin them, they rock.

for new sound, Fender has a phaser you can mess with while playing. few people really use that to it's full effect.
Quote by FatalGear41

Quote by Jason Jillard

Last edited by the humanity at Nov 30, 2009,
hahahahah lol, well any suggestions for my previous post? damn, i just wish i had every pedal imaginable..........dont we all.
pitch shifter or that Fender Phaser.
Quote by FatalGear41

Quote by Jason Jillard

Chorus, Delay, Reverb, and just mess around with a slide. Great ambiance.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE ASTRAL PANDA σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Last.fm
Quote by thndrbyrd99
alright cool, @anarkee, how much for the bp200?

PM sent with price.
The one thing I use that I haven't seen mentioned yet is tremolo.

The pulse of a tremolo on sustained notes (especially when followed with delay) is perfect for creating some ambient energy. I also like to use an attack filter (like the boss slow gear) to suck some of the harshness and definition out of my playing when making spacey ambient stuff, really smooths things out and makes your bass blend into the soundscape.
for spacey sounds, I usually use Bass Synth Wah>Big Muff>Phase 90>Delay>EHX Holy stain

the holy stain can get some cool sounds out of using the reverb and the pitch shift funtions

my favorite spacey sounds come from my bass synth wah using the filter sweep in accordance with a phaser.

I have some recordings somewhere on my computer of me doing spacey bass sounds, if I can find them ill pm a link to you

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_songInfo.cfm?bandID=1011238&songID=8421514

I was bored the other day, fiddled with some effects+controlled feedback
Gear:
Ibanez RG4EXQM1
Fender Jazz V
Yahama Pacifica 112
Acoustic B200h
2 custom 1x15 cabs
Vox AD30VT
too many pedals
Last edited by BamaBlues at Dec 1, 2009,
Quote by lkngro
BOSS Bass Chorus. Sounds like you're underwater.

I was not pleased with this effect, it was much to subtle to really do much for the tone. I had to have the knobs cranked to hear it engage at all and most of the reviews I read after the fact said the same thing. Try it out before you buy one; I returned mine.
A Boss RV-3 is a solid investment. It sounds wicked on a bass, and since you can mix the reverb and the delay on it, you can get some really cool spacey tones. Jeff Caxide from Isis uses one, and he's got a really spacey bass tone at times. A Boss DD-5 is also a really good pedal for getting some atmospheric tones.
^that thing is pretty cool!!
Quote by FatalGear41

Quote by Jason Jillard

hey guys just to update on what im thinking. im going to buy a tremelo pedal to fool around with and possibly an digitech ex-7, cheers