Hey there Pit, I'm just wondering what you guys think about the concept of self awareness.

I had a thought the other day, that self awareness may be looked at as a kind of torture of our human abilities to think. It's weird to explain, but basically I just thought that the concept of non existence scares so many people, perhaps why we have ideas of heaven, hell, afterlife etc. This got me thinking that because no one knows what it is to be non existent (as all we know is existence), do any of you think that it is good or bad to be self aware?

P.S. sorry, but this is kind of the best I can do to explain the thought, after all, words suck.
"Feelin' stupid? I know I am!"
-Homer Simpson

"If you ever need anything please don't hesitate to ask someone else first..."
-Kurt Cobain
Without a doubt a good thing.
Blog Of Awesome UGers.
Quote by OddOneOut
I seem to attract girls.
Which is annoying, cos I'm a girl and I like cock.

Quote by IRISH_PUNK13
Being an idiot should be illegal too.
I think you're confusing finite existence with self-awareness.
Quote by Arthur Curry
It's just The Man trying to bring down us negroes.

Quote by Yakult
Just go out in a silk dressing gown and ask them if they've ever been penetrated
I prefer to be erection aware. Sadly an ability I am currently lacking, along with my ability to not wear crotchless pants.
████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
Quote by Kensai
I prefer to be erection aware. Sadly an ability I am currently lacking, along with my ability to not wear crotchless pants.

When did your jokes become confessions?
Blog Of Awesome UGers.
Quote by OddOneOut
I seem to attract girls.
Which is annoying, cos I'm a girl and I like cock.

Quote by IRISH_PUNK13
Being an idiot should be illegal too.
It's a good thing.
- ---------
-- --------
--- -------
---- ------
----- -----
------ ----
------- ---
-------- --
--------- -
I know exactly what you mean.

Most of the belief in religion comes from the fear of nothing happening when you die (deep down, its the fear). I have that fear too, but that isn't enough to make me believe in anything. I also know that being against the system makes me part of the system, and that I can't win, but I'm gonna try anyway.

Just watch every episode of "The Prisoner" a couple times through, then all the shit on ancient aliens, monsterquest etc. Then want almost total anarchy...

its like looking inside my brain
Bands I must see in concert
Silvertide
The Black Crowes
Jackyl
Black Stone Cherry
AC/DC
StoneRider
Freedomhawk
The Darkness and/or the sideprojects of the band members
Buckcherry
The Answer

Theres more. But those are the main ones
Quote by Venice King
When did your jokes become confessions?

What jokes?
████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
If Cyberdyne's anything to go by, self awareness is BAAAAD
Quote by supersac
ive won an argument with a girl but then i still lost
Quote by rgrockr
I guess that's why my ass was sore when I woke up this morning.

It is now my goal to get skylerjames13 to BURN OUT
Every thread I touch closes
I ENJOY SKAAAAAAA
TS explains self-awareness as a spiritual or philosophical thing. A few google definitions I feel reflect my understanding of it are:
- The ability to know and understand one's self.
- Conscious knowledge of ones own character, feelings, motives and desires.

It is definitely a good thing. Many problems and difficulties come from lack of self-awareness.
First you may want to start by defining good and bad, which turns out to be equally as difficult a question to answer.

Also, consider that what's good for one person may not be good for another,
what's good for one person at one moment might not be good for that same person at another moment.

Self-awareness is (in my opinion) the requirement for being considered a conscious being. Given that this is what sets humans apart from many other types of animals, I would see it as beneficial to technology, advancement, civilization etc...

But self-awareness can have it's downsides. For some people, self-awareness can lead to self-loathing.

I think that in order to become an ethically responsible person, (assuming that any sort of good or bad exist in the "typical" sense,) one must be self-aware. This is where the golden rule stems from; treat others as if those others were you. In other words, self-awareness can lead to the awareness of others. Once you've identified what you want and how you feel, you begin to understand what other people want and what they feel.

Just some food for thought.
What is the point of a signature, anyway?
exctly downforlife, I get that is there really right or wrong "usually for me leading back to hedonism" feeling all the time.
Bands I must see in concert
Silvertide
The Black Crowes
Jackyl
Black Stone Cherry
AC/DC
StoneRider
Freedomhawk
The Darkness and/or the sideprojects of the band members
Buckcherry
The Answer

Theres more. But those are the main ones
Quote by Aerokizzombie
I know exactly what you mean.

Most of the belief in religion comes from the fear of nothing happening when you die (deep down, its the fear). I have that fear too, but that isn't enough to make me believe in anything. I also know that being against the system makes me part of the system, and that I can't win, but I'm gonna try anyway.

Just watch every episode of "The Prisoner" a couple times through, then all the shit on ancient aliens, monsterquest etc. Then want almost total anarchy...

its like looking inside my brain

I love that show, yet I can't understand half of it sometimes. But isn't this part of the Chtulu mythos too?

Does TS mean self awerness, like the kind that makes us sentiant beings, or total awerness of everything around us?
Quote by IRISH_PUNK13
The grandmother is having a baby with her grandson, so the grandson will be his own fathers father, the baby will be his own grandfather, and grandson, and the grandmother will be the mother, and great grandmother?

Quote by TheBurningFish
ಠ_ಠ
Last edited by smartalec007 at Nov 30, 2009,
"no one knows what it is to be non existent (as all we know is existence)"?
Of course all we know is existence: to be able to know anything we have to exist first, how is that not obvious to you?
Quote by Kensai
I prefer to be erection aware. Sadly an ability I am currently lacking,

...It must be tiny.
"Why should we subsidise intellectual curiosity?"
-Ronald Reagan

"Knowledge is in every country the surest basis of public happiness."
-George Washington