Im looking to get a new bass amp and i was wondering how many watts my amp would need to play with and/or over drums? My answers in other places have ranged from 15W-300W.
There's been other threads on this, but I will put my two cents in again. 200w is going to be your starting point. You can always turn down a too loud amp but trying to crank a 100 W to be heard over an aggressive drummer is not going to be favourable to your tone.
I've used 300 and got by, but I use 500 now and it's very comforting having the extra headroom
Quote by UraniYum
Fuck you I'm trying to be caring and shit

Quote by Cb4rabid
Okay guys, I have a confession to make. Not really a confession since it's something that's been bugging me for awhile but I've always been in denial about it.

**** you gilly, it's not what you think
the most you can afford to have should be ok.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
Quote by dlguitarmaster7
start around 250 watts. work your way up till you find a resaonable volume. whoever told you 15 watts needs to get their head checked

maybe they meant playing with a tambourine covered in cloth?
Quote by UraniYum

Quote by Cb4rabid
Okay guys, I have a confession to make. Not really a confession since it's something that's been bugging me for awhile but I've always been in denial about it.

Quote by gilly_90
maybe they meant playing with a tambourine covered in cloth?

maybe they played Death Metal :P

*flameshield*
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
Quote by UraniYum

Quote by Cb4rabid

I've been making it happen with 100 Watts. Our drummer isn't too aggressive though, so I'm okay. I would say around 200 watts though.
Quote by JagerSlushy

Black people play bass.
Quote by isabiggles
Nevermind, that's a stupid pun for Australian pyromaniacs.
Just forget I said anything.

Quote by mac_attack
THE PURE SEXUAL THRILL!!!!
And stuff...

^^^
On playing bass.
Gear:
ESP B-206SM
Behringer BRX1800H
Acoustic B115
Asher Custom 2x10
200 watts or more. Tried to rehearse with the band once with my 100 W practice amp and I didn't hear anything while standing next to it. Now I always play through my Ashdown head + cabinet which produces around 220W. This works fine.
Gear :
Ibanez GWB35 Gary Willis signature
Ibanez SR700 CN
Epiphone Thunderbird Pro IV

Marshall MB4410
Get an ideal power amp. that is 10 to 1000 watts, tune between low & high range to get the required output.
i play with a 60w laney combo and its fine. i think 100watts would be enough but you can still play with 60w, but its better to have that extra headroom.

i have played with loud drummers and my combo still handles it.
My old bass teacher had a 1.5kw head. That's pretty cool.

Ibanez SR506BM
Ashdown Little Giant 1000w
Peavey TVX 115+410
A big ass upright

Watts do not equal volume. More speaker surface area will sound louder than doubling the watts. Playing a 500 watt head through an 8x10 will sound much louder than playing the same head through a single 1x15. Keep this in mind when shopping around.

Do you have a budget? A good starter amp would be the Acoustic B200H head and the matching 4x10 cabinet.
This depends on so many factors, that is impossible for us all to give similar answers as we all have different experiences. Playing with a drummer. Just A drummer? it's easy to get heard at fairly low volumes if you're the only tuned instrument playing. If not, we need to know your guitarist's amp. We also need to know his/their playing styles. Agressive? Gentle? Somewhere in-between? We also need genre. If you're playing in a jazz 3 piece or any more gentle type of music, you will need much less than, say grunge/ hard rock which switches from gentle to loud-as-hell in split seconds sometimes. Also, do you want to be heard or felt? In most situations, 30-75ish watts will be enough for you and your drummer to hear you (Depending on his style & the genre), but you won't be supplying the bass as such, you'd be too quiet to do that, you'll just be more noise in the mix. 100-150 (depending on genres, aggressiveness) will be enough to get felt, but your tone will suffer as you will be pushing the amp past its boundaries, and on solid state amps that makes for a fairly terrible breaking up sound in many cases. 200-350+ will be enough in my opinion to be heard, felt and have headroom to preserve your tone.

Me? I play in an electro-rock band, with a drummer who has very controlled dynamics, and i get along with a 65w amp, which is fine for practice, as i can hear myself and the parts i'm playing. In my 3 piece grunge/Post-hardcore band, i play guitar, using a 15w tube amp, and the bassist uses an ashdown 300w mag with a 4x10 cab. Bass is very much felt in that.

Sorry for wall of text, but this question gets asked a lot but without more details your answers will range from all over the place.
Last edited by The 7.18 at Dec 1, 2009,